You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-19 01:39:44

Tarr
Banned

Broke the game again Jason.

https://onetech.info/2309-Oil-Pumpjack-with-Full-Tank
https://onetech.info/3032-Exhausted-Newcomen-Pump

Look at the how to use section.

Newcomen pumps AND oil pumpjacks have a 50% chance to exhaust on removing the tank/last bucket.

Game is fubar for the night until the fix likely.

Last edited by Tarr (2019-07-19 01:41:08)

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-07-19 02:38:32

Bob 101

Re: Broke the game again Jason.

Oh soOil pumps exhaust now, Interesting. Hopefully they means more tech is coming.
Though I hope new tech isn't just a couple toys and a new pump.

Either way this means we cannot survive forever in a city. For better or worse.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-19 02:45:17)

#3 2019-07-19 02:50:45

Morti

Just need more springs and wells.
Know your neighborhood, get those diagonal roads made.
Fastest way to travel.
a²+b²=c²

#4 2019-07-19 03:49:56

Grim_Arbiter

Tonight I'm going to be johnny appleseed, but instead of trees, I'm gonna be planting shrines across the lands.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-07-19 06:23:01

testo

So, new content is two male models and exhausted oil pumpjack?

Color me unimpressed.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-07-19 06:31:32

Tarr
Banned

testo wrote:

So, new content is two male models and exhausted oil pumpjack?

Color me unimpressed.

Four new male models, limited oil, and some bugfixes.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-07-19 08:21:30

arkajalka

Thats a serious hit on watersources. Well you dont need water anyways, just swing your sword.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#8 2019-07-19 08:40:57

ollj

at least now you have a  reason for war, the limited oil.

i like limited oil in general, it should cause roads to wells and more migration.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 08:42:14)

#9 2019-07-19 08:44:31

Whatever

AmberA wrote:

As someone who works in the video game industry, this is not how to give feedback.

Yes Tarr, if you dont have something nice to say than dont say anything and let jason find it out by himself.
Why even borther? Its not your job to fix the game Tarr, you dont get paid, you dont get anything from it.

#10 2019-07-19 09:22:33

ollj

person who cares about strategy/tactics:
"jason, [first attacker always wins]
and [instakill-only]
and [treason after warfare is never an exceptiuon, but always happening within 2 generations]
and [its easy to lure 5-15 bears at once into a (now captured) foreign city, no weapons needed to raid/avenge anything]
and [can not curse family members 6 minutes after ones death, if name is 6 characters too long]
... is a brutal and imballanced combination. It has null defensive play in conflict. it all comes down to; depleted oil leads to war, leats to treason, leads to bears.
therefore expansion-making is just dumb in terms of strategy, because everyone constantly zerg-rushes. Expanding just weakens your offense in a game with null defense."

jason:
"i see, all you need is a more bad excuses for war then, how about oil depletes, so you have wars for oil,
with no reason left whatsoever to stay anywhere for too long.
During local oil depletion, you just replace your nearest neighbor by force to have its oil and to fuck its cattle and yourself too. and then wait for treason to kill off both locations."

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 09:31:58)

#11 2019-07-19 10:09:19

arkajalka

Whatever wrote:
AmberA wrote:

As someone who works in the video game industry, this is not how to give feedback.

Yes Tarr, if you dont have something nice to say than dont say anything and let jason find it out by himself.
Why even borther? Its not your job to fix the game Tarr, you dont get paid, you dont get anything from it.

Typical thing in the nowdayes video game industry is that the developpers think they know what the player base wants and dont listen to what the community has to say. They have their own vision and stubbornly stick to it rather than take the unsuspected path what the players base desires, just cause it doesnt fit the grand plan. All in all videogame industry has changed from pure love to gaming into money making machine.

Oh you dont like microtransactions--->heres some suprise mechanics

Oh a glitch is ruining the game experience super hard(lets say for example meshmonkeying in arc)-->we dont need to address that

Oh you dont like this feature at all-->you just racist and misogynist old bastard and dont know what you talking about

Oh the game is too grindy-->maybe you dont use all of its features right(insert some xp boost)

Oh the game is super glitchy and full of bugs-->it will be alright after a while(aka 5years after when the player base has died out)

Is there really a correct way to give feedback? Could the "video game industry" have something to learn about how to take feedback...

Its a double edged swords. No ones truly right here. Everyone got to adapt.

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#12 2019-07-19 10:52:12

MultiLife

OP: oof, 50% chance? That's crazy. Waiting for fixes! (Also poop acidity aside, can we get 0% breaking chance when moving poo around?)

AmberA wrote:
Tarr wrote:

https://onetech.info/2309-Oil-Pumpjack-with-Full-Tank
https://onetech.info/3032-Exhausted-Newcomen-Pump

Look at the how to use section.

Newcomen pumps AND oil pumpjacks have a 50% chance to exhaust on removing the tank/last bucket.

Game is fubar for the night until the fix likely.

Bad example: Talk about what's how the person doing the work broke the game. Talk about how the game is screwed. The tone and title means the issue may not get looked at and almost certainly won't get a reply.

Good example: Title that is relevant such as "X item isn't working correctly since patch ##" Info about what is happening vs the expected behavior. Steps to reproduce. Any additional info that might be useful such as why changing this is important. No blaming, no emotion.

Catch more flies with honey.

I also work in the game industry and Tarr has been pointing out fixes for a long time, and it's fine. Jason is a one-man team so he knows what's up and what patch and where when he updates. He has also proven to be able to ask for more info if he ever needs to. If OHOL had a team who had to communicate stuff from forums to a programmer, it'd be required to give numbers and steps and such so the guy who takes the message forward doesn't screw it up when translating it to the programmers. Broken phones happen and that's why a format for feedback is often required when there is a team working.

Also is it blaming if it's a fact that something was broken again? Why people take things to heart? It's neutral. "You broke it" is a fact, don't get sensitive over it... big_smile

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-07-19 10:54:09)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#13 2019-07-19 11:43:28

Léonard

AmberA wrote:

Bad example: Talk about what's how the person doing the work broke the game. Talk about how the game is screwed. The tone and title means the issue may not get looked at and almost certainly won't get a reply.

Good example: Title that is relevant such as "X item isn't working correctly since patch ##" Info about what is happening vs the expected behavior. Steps to reproduce. Any additional info that might be useful such as why changing this is important. No blaming, no emotion.

Catch more flies with honey.

I mean, when the game author is SO STUBBORN that you basically have to genocide whole families after families JUST SO that he could simply ADMIT that the mechanic he implemented is broken, we're not left with much choice really.

#14 2019-07-19 15:37:18

D3mon1cblack

how is this even fair 50% wtaf? no wonder my jack broke on first use! i do like them being able to get exausted tho but 50% is way to high imho. Also if this is the case there should be more tarry spots i have seen civs without anny near them closest one was .5 k away. So basically if you exaused all the spots near you your kind of fucked -.-

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#15 2019-07-19 16:06:36

The_Anabaptist

@AmberA - Gatekeep much?  You come off much more condescending than Tarr did.

The_Anabaptist

#16 2019-07-19 16:10:41

AmberA

Sorry nm I'll remove it.

#17 2019-07-19 17:00:17

Tarr
Banned

D3mon1cblack wrote:

how is this even fair 50% wtaf? no wonder my jack broke on first use! i do like them being able to get exausted tho but 50% is way to high imho. Also if this is the case there should be more tarry spots i have seen civs without anny near them closest one was .5 k away. So basically if you exaused all the spots near you your kind of fucked -.-

It's not supposed to be that high he just accidentally forgot to either move the decimal back one place (.5 vs .05) or forgot he didn't change back the chance when testing (he had it at 95% chance when testing the update.)

But yeah, oil is supposed to have the same fail rate as a newcomen coal pump at the moment.

fug it’s Tarr.

#18 2019-07-19 17:14:29

pein

Morti wrote:

Fastest way to travel.
a²+b²=c²

well, actually they are same distance cause it's tile based
diagonals are just longer, even walking speed and horse speed is tile based, so basically  0-50, 50-0 and 50-50 are same distance from origo
sure, visually is 1.4... away but that's just optical
2d and isometric 2d is interesting this way, the focus is on strategy, that's why quite some strategy games are still 2d and popular

the space filling is interesting actually, the best way is hex maps, but then you got x,y,z
but actually you can determine every z using x and y so isn't more complex in reality
hexes got 6 adjacent tiles and diagonals are same distance as sideways
the other one is octagons and small diamonds on diagonal
a few games use that model, like civilization series, wesnoth, and was some kickstarter 4x game which was quite famous, endless legend? or something like that

but yeah, diagonal roads got the advantage of fast roads not pushing you if you don't want to, as it wont autorun if you don't click a tile on it while standing on it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#19 2019-07-19 19:34:25

ollj

this is very dumb, all of it.

Tarr  is absolut4ely correct, game is fubared, and oh look, theres the fix.

i feel dirty every time i agree with tarr on aything, but so far, i agree with tarr 39/40 times.
tarr is pretty good wwith basic logic, cant argue with that.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-19 19:35:29)

#20 2019-07-20 00:50:18

Morti

pein wrote:

diagonals are just longer, even walking speed and horse speed is tile based, so basically  0-50, 50-0 and 50-50 are same distance from origo
2d and isometric 2d is interesting this way, the focus is on strategy, that's why quite some strategy games are still 2d and popular

Then it takes half the time to travel diagonals
40 east + 40 north, vs, 40 northeast
Even more reason to spread out on diagonals, though, obviously changing our playstyles collectively can be difficult for communities.

I did some tests with diagonal walls and they seem to work ok, they seemed to keep the heat in, while requiring no door.

fiHt5Ux.jpg

zYNXgya.jpg

Been working on, and contemplating, the applications/implications of this in the meantime. Excuse the grid on the left, I'm just taking a break from working on the ideas of the city layout on the right while also considering a layout for diagonal roads leading out directly from the wells. Yeah, it would hinder travel every 40 steps, but it would be a lot easier for people to start making the diagonal roads out from the wells, rather than count steps in cardinal directions before beginning the diagonals.

YeVtzYz.png

I'd like more people to test diamond shaped buildings and share their opinions on using them.

It's really nice being able to just walk through the walls on angles from anywhere inside.

Also the diagonal roads would allow for twice the distance moved using half the flat rocks.

Please, if I'm wrong, let me know.

And thanks for response, showing Pythagorean's theorem was just a real world way to get people to think about moving on angles, and to consider the distances. Obviously it's faster to move 40 tiles on a 45 degree angle rather than 40 tiles in one cardinal direction and then another 40 perpendicular to it, or, am I still missing something?

pein wrote:

so basically  0-50, 50-0 and 50-50 are same distance from origo

I think I get what you are saying there.
The distance from, x,y;
0,0 to 0,50
0,0 to 50,0
and
0,0 to 50,50
they all take the same amount of time?
or
does 0,0 to 0,50 and then 0,50 to 50,50
take the same time as 0,0 to 50,50?

I suppose even if it doesn't take any less time, it's still half the number of flat rocks required, but then again, if we replace 50 with 40 and consider moving from well to well, you'd be going to 1 well for 40 flat rocks either way.

I'd still like for more people to experiment with the diagonal roads and diamond buildings, even if only for the sake of variety, though I am fairly convinced by my own experiments at this point that there are more reasons than just diversity, to build diamond towns.

#21 2019-07-20 01:00:04

Morti

Many thanks to my son and daughter for helping me to build that crude diamond shaped building in the snow, especially my son, who placed most of the floors.

I'll probably be starting a thread just for this topic after I've worked out some more plans and cleaned up the pictures.

#22 2019-07-20 01:04:28

Tarr
Banned

Morti wrote:
pein wrote:

Then it takes half the time to travel diagonals
40 east + 40 north, vs, 40 northeast
Even more reason to spread out on diagonals, though, obviously changing our playstyles collectively can be difficult for communities.

I did some tests with diagonal walls and they seem to work ok, they seemed to keep the heat in, while requiring no door.

https://i.imgur.com/fiHt5Ux.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/zYNXgya.jpg

Been working on, and contemplating, the applications/implications of this in the meantime. Excuse the grid on the left, I'm just taking a break from working on the ideas of the city layout on the right while also considering a layout for diagonal roads leading out directly from the wells. Yeah, it would hinder travel every 40 steps, but it would be a lot easier for people to start making the diagonal roads out from the wells, rather than count steps in cardinal directions before beginning the diagonals.

https://i.imgur.com/YeVtzYz.png

I'd like more people to test diamond shaped buildings and share their opinions on using them.

It's really nice being able to just walk through the walls on angles from anywhere inside.

Also the diagonal roads would allow for twice the distance moved using half the flat rocks.

Please, if I'm wrong, let me know.

And thanks for response, showing Pythagorean's theorem was just a real world way to get people to think about moving on angles, and to consider the distances. Obviously it's faster to move 40 tiles on a 45 degree angle rather than 40 tiles in one cardinal direction and then another 40 perpendicular to it, or, am I still missing something?

pein wrote:

so basically  0-50, 50-0 and 50-50 are same distance from origo

I think I get what you are saying there.
The distance from, x,y;
0,0 to 0,50
0,0 to 50,0
and
0,0 to 50,50
they all take the same amount of time?
or
does 0,0 to 0,50 and then 0,50 to 50,50
take the same time as 0,0 to 50,50?

I suppose even if it doesn't take any less time, it's still half the number of flat rocks required, but then again, if we replace 50 with 40 and consider moving from well to well, you'd be going to 1 well for 40 flat rocks either way.

I'd still like for more people to experiment with the diagonal roads and diamond buildings, even if only for the sake of variety, though I am fairly convinced by my own experiments at this point that there are more reasons than just diversity, to build diamond towns.

You gotta remember that you are:

Still withing the fires radius thus getting it's passive heat bonus in that picture
Wearing some of the warmest clothes in game minus the hat.

So I doubt in the last patch for buffing buildings did anything to fix that but I can always double check when I get a second.

fug it’s Tarr.

#23 2019-07-20 01:20:56

Morti

Tarr wrote:

Still withing the fires radius thus getting it's passive heat bonus in that picture

So I doubt in the last patch for buffing buildings did anything to fix that but I can always double check when I get a second.

What I did not get a screenshot of or mention yet, is that I removed all my clothing and walked through the walls.
I was most certainly warmer on the inside of them than I was on the outside, but I am not certain if that is because I was only within the radius of the fire itself, if the floor and walls just gave me a bonus, or if, as I suspect, the walls did may the space inside act as a room and I gained that additional bonus.
I wanted the room to be larger, but I wanted it fully floored and the snow banks and ice holes, made me realize a little too late that I hadn't planned properly. But it was my first attempt last night, and from experience alone, I think it was a success.

#24 2019-07-20 03:32:23

Saolin

pein wrote:
Morti wrote:

Fastest way to travel.
a²+b²=c²

the space filling is interesting actually, the best way is hex maps, but then you got x,y,z
but actually you can determine every z using x and y so isn't more complex in reality
hexes got 6 adjacent tiles and diagonals are same distance as sideways
the other one is octagons and small diamonds on diagonal
a few games use that model, like civilization series, wesnoth, and was some kickstarter 4x game which was quite famous, endless legend? or something like that

but yeah, diagonal roads got the advantage of fast roads not pushing you if you don't want to, as it wont autorun if you don't click a tile on it while standing on it

Going 0,0 to 0,50 to 50,50 has got to take more time than going diagonally from 0,0 to 50,50.  I think Morti might be onto something here.

btw the title of the this thread must be facetious?  You're pointing out an error, not breaking the game.  Don't be overdramatic.

#25 2019-07-20 03:47:54

Tarr
Banned

Morti wrote:
Tarr wrote:

What I did not get a screenshot of or mention yet, is that I removed all my clothing and walked through the walls.
I was most certainly warmer on the inside of them than I was on the outside, but I am not certain if that is because I was only within the radius of the fire itself, if the floor and walls just gave me a bonus, or if, as I suspect, the walls did may the space inside act as a room and I gained that additional bonus.
I wanted the room to be larger, but I wanted it fully floored and the snow banks and ice holes, made me realize a little too late that I hadn't planned properly. But it was my first attempt last night, and from experience alone, I think it was a success.

Can confirm now that I've checked that it's just you in the radius of the fire which is what is giving you the extra temperature. I should of just assumed that when seeing the spacing between walls but the last time he updated buildings was during a time of hiatus for me.

If you want doorless buildings you have to make a little tetris Z shaped hallway to make sure temperature grid is blocked properly so there isn't a heat leak.

fug it’s Tarr.

Board footer