One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-08 00:55:45

AdelaSkarupa

Conning Cynthia Lemon

Con artists have a lot of tricks to exploit your trust. Even in a game filled with killing and stealing, I think it's human nature to want to trust people. I put this to the test with Cynthia Lemon. She had built a nice area enclosed mostly with stone walls, with parts made of property fence. In the wacky physics of the game, I knew the stone wall was the weak spot (not the tiny wooden sticks?). I made a pickax and went to the far rear corner of the structure, making sure I was out of her view. I knocked down one portion of the wall and ran as fast (slow) as I could with the rubble, hiding it behind a nearby tree.

I waited just out of her view until she noticed the piece was missing and I saw she was going to replace it with property fence. Fortunately, that takes some time and humans are big fans of symmetry. I knew she'd rather replace it with stone again. I got a cart and wheeled it over to the gap, dropping it and walking away. She clearly liked the idea, as she said "ty" and removed the proposed property fence. I installed the new wall, playing the kind-hearted repairman. And how did she show her gratitude? That's right: She gave me ownership of the property gate.

I really meant her no harm and it was all just an experiment. In fact, I tried to bring her some things I thought she might need. I figure no harm, no foul. But it does show how easy it is to manipulate people because the somewhat nice-to-know truth is that we really do want to trust people.

Sorry Cynthia.

Conman

#2 2019-07-08 01:21:25

HumboldtStoneHoe

Re: Conning Cynthia Lemon

I am not supposed to give my opinion but this is pretty cool alright. Good job, never seen anything like this.

Papa bless. Respect.

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#3 2019-07-08 02:00:14

Bob 101

You didn't really con her though. You wasted a pickaxe and then repaired your own hole, gj.

Still, Good way to get added I guess.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-08 02:04:32)

#4 2019-07-08 02:01:48

AdelaSkarupa

Bob 101 wrote:

You didn't really con her though. You wasted a pickaxe and then repaired your own hole, gj.

It's only one steel. Fixing the hole is part of the con. I only made the hole so as to fix it. A con artist's main goal is to earn your trust. She felt like her property had been violated. I made her see me as the savior. It's a classic con. And in the end, I inherited her property with her permission. That's a successful con.

Last edited by AdelaSkarupa (2019-07-08 03:10:44)

#5 2019-07-08 15:00:20

MistressZues

AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Bob 101 wrote:

It's a classic con. And in the end, I inherited her property with her permission. That's a successful con.

conman sales person sees car with no alarm system, conman brakes car window an steals a few belongings from within, conman approaches owners house. *knock Knock* ''yes hello'' ''hi ma'am'' sorry to bother you but did you know your car window has been broken.'' ''Oh NO! thank you for telling me. i hope nothing was stolen.'' ''Ma'am I actually sell car alarm systems. I could install the system for you so this never happens again and ill even fix the broken window as an added free bonus'' ''Oh wow thank you so much please come in''

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#6 2019-07-08 18:44:43

ollj

why waste so much time when you can just lure ten bears to property fenched areas?

https://mega.nz/#!QotjjSYZ!af-YDM8e6oDl … XoWEi2CaHg

That just takes 10 to 20 minutes, you likely die, and so do 10-20 other people, and mostly those cowards that dare to hide inside their property fenches, with 5 bears outside fo it, so they sjust starve inside, or let the bears inside, and the remaining smarter ones likely leve their town, with war swords and knifes, to daid a nearby town.
and you can move on to get reborn in a better town.

oh yeah, also happened with a ziv-town before the most recent apocalypse, the one south of the dual bell towns it turned out to be. that town kept attracting power hungry cults like no other town in its infancy.
https://mega.nz/#!U5FmwKwS!Y9_3eQGXtlnI … 1r2okPRFBs
those greeddy fuckers in that huge property fenche had it coming, they took half the cities common goods.
they say things lkike "i have an idea, lets take all the pads inside here", and they usually build a double gate, and a smaller outside area, to use as a prison.

and their children are just as guilty as the mother that build and maintain this greedy shit, unless they are smart enough to murder their own mother, which i have yet to whitness, and only managed to have the oportunity to do twice.

the hell, for giggles, i once started building a property fenche all around a city, in just 40 tile distance, so the whole town could easily notice and prevent ir (which some of them did, but not enough), BUT i had 4 greedy children, of whom 3 assisted me in making a whole town my "prison town", and when i died of old age, there was only a small gap in the nw of the towns priuson walls, anf only its northern end has a private property gate, which one of my children took control over.
pretty sure that city is dead by now, strangled by me, just to see what effect such a "fenche around a toen" has.
in theory, its possible to build 1500 tiles of property fenche witthin 60 minutes on your own, divide that by 4 and you have the side length of the square that your prison city fits inside of.

--

private property fenches are plain evil, because newer players know not how to prevent them, so they are always exploitative greed. a waste of time either way.

Last edited by ollj (2019-07-08 18:46:44)

#7 2019-07-08 19:50:13

Amon

Well, that was an interesting thought experiment. Truly in ohol, we also don't have enough time to propperly analyse any given situation and most want to act fast to conserve their limited hourly-life.

Thank you for sharing this, it's quite an interesting interaction you've had.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#8 2019-07-08 19:52:10

HumboldtStoneHoe

Bob 101 wrote:

Still, Good way to get added I guess.

Minmaxer

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

#9 2019-07-08 20:22:56

AdelaSkarupa

MistressZues wrote:
AdelaSkarupa wrote:
Bob 101 wrote:

It's a classic con. And in the end, I inherited her property with her permission. That's a successful con.

conman sales person sees car with no alarm system, conman brakes car window an steals a few belongings from within, conman approaches owners house. *knock Knock* ''yes hello'' ''hi ma'am'' sorry to bother you but did you know your car window has been broken.'' ''Oh NO! thank you for telling me. i hope nothing was stolen.'' ''Ma'am I actually sell car alarm systems. I could install the system for you so this never happens again and ill even fix the broken window as an added free bonus'' ''Oh wow thank you so much please come in''

Exactly! Besides, think of the implications of being given ownership. I could have then passed ownership on to anyone I wanted. I could have been the frontman for some greater plot. It's like you demonstrated in your example. A confidence artist is polite, generous, sympathetic, and preys on your desire to believe the world is a loving place. I may try out some other social experiments. Hopefully I haven't given myself away.

Board footer