One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-07-06 19:08:55

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: More Fixes

dfXk4VO.gif

Another week spent plowing through the long list of player-submitted bugs and issues.  Thank you all for your tireless work in tracking these things down and reporting them to me, and please keep the reports coming.

The biggest gameplay fix is for off-screen murders.  You could always hear the off-screen scream, and all sounds in the game are directional, but even with good stereo headphones, there's no way to differentiate north from south.  Now certain sounds that occur off-screen produce a visible, directional marker.  Currently, this is used only for murder sounds, but it might be expanded to other important sounds in the future.

Next, items can be swapped in full containers, which is a huge convenience improvement.

Finally, a bunch of small fixes.  You can now carry sterile pads in the medical apron---it has a separate pocket that expands to keep them isolated from whatever else you're carrying in the main pocket.  Rubber trees can be cultivated.  Popcorn bowls, and a bunch of other dry bowl items, can be contained.  A bunch of more advanced steel items can now be scrapped for recycling, and scrapping is now a two-step process, to prevent the destruction of valuable steel items by accident.  Dog aging makes more sense.  Threshed wheat piles decay after 30 minutes to reduce clutter.  You can no longer build floors and roads on top of existing floors and roads.

There will not be an update next week, because I'm traveling to Taiwan to speak at the Taipei Game Developers Forum:

https://2019.tgdf.tw/en/speakers

When I return, I'll be focusing on getting through the rest of the list of player-submitted bugs and issues, and then adding some new characters.

If you notice anything in the game that's broken or doesn't make sense, please report it.  You can report content-related issues here:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLifeData7/issues

And code-related issues here:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues

#2 2019-07-06 19:31:15

mrbah

Re: Update: More Fixes

thanks for improving the core game mechanics for us.

I personally are hoping there will be new mechanics in the update in two weeks

#3 2019-07-06 20:12:07

Saolin

Looking forward to some new characters!

#4 2019-07-06 20:26:19

testo

mrbah wrote:

thanks for improving the core game mechanics for us.

I personally are hoping there will be new mechanics in the update in two weeks

I like the update but these fixes don´t change core game mechanics at all.

- Off screen murders are a visual improvement.
- Container swap is an amazing qol improvement.
- Pads in apron is a great qol improvement. It also has the potential to become meta for attackers (fighting medics)
- Rubber trees, popcorn containning, scrapping steel, wheat, floors: qol.
- Dogs arestill useless, now they are long term useless.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#5 2019-07-07 01:24:11

SparkleCake

Wonderful changes towards making chaos that much more manageable. Thank you, Jason.

I can't wait to be a proper medical mama, myself. For any healing hopefuls out there: remember to keep a second supply of medical goods that others can access. One day, your family may need to use them on you!

#6 2019-07-07 01:27:27

Bob 101

So even if I'm not so pleased with the content droughts.

I do like some of these changes. Murder scream direction is useful for non-zoom peeps, The yoohoo emote could do the same thing.

Field medics will do alot to alleviate pad griefing. You can come to the victim instead of vice versa.

New models sound good, Theirs been a big issue with everyone being the same since same race towns. You should day as Pein suggested and randomise hairstyles.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-07-07 01:39:45)

#7 2019-07-07 02:20:04

Tarr
Banned

Looking through the scrap bowls it definitely seems like some of these items shouldn't be able to go in.

https://edge.onetech.info/2376-Diesel-Piston-Head
https://edge.onetech.info/2379-Diesel-Cylinder-Head
https://edge.onetech.info/2380-Diesel-C … ith-Valves
https://edge.onetech.info/2381-Diesel-C … -One-Valve

These are all huge wastes of steel and I can't ever imagine someone scraping these because they desperately need a single steel. It's nice to see a lot of the other high tech parts being recycled back to regular bars.

However... did you make it so steel rods aren't able to be recycled on purpose to prevent people from easily recycling swords or is this an accidental oversight on your part? I feel like it's not, but sort of one of those things that needs pointed out.

fug it’s Tarr.

#8 2019-07-07 04:22:34

Peaches

Love the use for the medical apron, I'm definitely gonna strive to be the healer main I've always been

And seconding the directional /yoohoo, when you get the chance!

I finally found myself in a situation where I needed to get somebody's attention, being one of two living people in a dying town, and managed to trap myself within an adobe oven base through some inattentive fiddling (I dont really know how I managed it) with only a pie. I spammed /yoohoo until my cousin managed to find the sound and free me.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#9 2019-07-07 06:03:26

Grim_Arbiter

Good start, I know you're going to get through it more.

A bug from the github list that hasn't been addressed yet is /die babies deleting items.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#10 2019-07-07 08:01:21

WalrusesConquer

Characters woo!

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#11 2019-07-07 08:23:27

Amon

Can't wait for the character update later in.
These are good QoL tweaks.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#12 2019-07-07 16:25:00

Carrot-Seedling

New characters! Hallelujah! I'm seeing those as soon as they arrive!

Thank you Jason. Finally some useful additions.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#13 2019-07-07 23:06:34

ollj

guess i have to circle around them just a but more.

#14 2019-07-09 03:38:29

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, I did miss some steel things.

And for the more expensive steel things being scrap-able, that's what the scrap bowl is for (to make it hard to destroy those things by accident).

As for taking them apart, that would be nice, of course, but much more work on my end.  I'll get around to that at some point.

--Live from Taiwan

#15 2019-07-12 15:55:08

BladeWoods

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, I did miss some steel things.

And for the more expensive steel things being scrap-able, that's what the scrap bowl is for (to make it hard to destroy those things by accident).

As for taking them apart, that would be nice, of course, but much more work on my end.  I'll get around to that at some point.

--Live from Taiwan

I'm not sure why anyone would intentionally scrap the expensive steel things unless they didn't know they were destroying steel or are a griefer intentionally destroying steel. Before you get around to properly scrapping the expensive steel things they shouldn't be scrappable at all.

Board footer