One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-26 22:40:54

Bob 101

The average life of the average player

Be born as a baby, check if town is rich. Slash die if town poor or mum give bad name. Look for nearest clothes, Priority on bp. Hump gear so mum know you want. If mum no give, suicide or be mad whole life. Can also kiss up to old ppl for gear.

When content with gear, Do ill and yoohoo until old or someone threaten stab.

Once grown, Look for more gear. Loot corpses when you can. Also try get knife, As many as possible. Crown is also end-game gear, Means you own the town.

Once you're an adult you can repeat the cycle. Only love your kid until the next one is born. Girls matter more then boys always, Men do boring work.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-06-26 22:49:16)

#2 2019-06-26 23:13:52

Dantox

Re: The average life of the average player

More like a scavenger playstyle to be honest

make bread, no war

#3 2019-06-26 23:33:39

MistressZues

yea definitely not my play style, can't relate

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#4 2019-06-27 00:55:25

Bob 101

What makes you guys think you're the average player?

It's good if this isn't your playstyle but the majority of my babies seem to be like this. Maybe I've just been getting bad RNG or the same people all the time.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-06-27 00:57:52)

#5 2019-06-27 01:59:03

Grim_Arbiter

Bob 101 wrote:

What makes you guys think you're the average player?

It's good if this isn't your playstyle but the majority of my babies seem to be like this. Maybe I've just been getting bad RNG or the same people all the time.

I dont think the average player asks for clothes or loots.

Most people dont even realize they should clothe themselves and run around half naked with gear lying about.

Then again I dont /die so I'm not always dealing with the same environments out of preference.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-06-27 02:14:39

RodneyC86

This is certainly not me at least.
But yes, I think at least 1/3rd of people don't really play for the town's survival - either they RP, troll, or think they are some hotshot battle royale player who runs around with a bow and loot things.

#7 2019-06-27 03:13:30

Spoonwood

Sooo many players seemed obsessed with backpacks.  The temperature overhaul doesn't seem to have changed things in that respect.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-06-27 03:22:32

RodneyC86

Spoonwood wrote:

Sooo many players seemed obsessed with backpacks.  The temperature overhaul doesn't seem to have changed things in that respect.

I think it's more of ignorance. If I were a female that stays in town to farm, I would vastly prefer a shoes, a loincloth and a cap over a backpack. Think it at least halves food consumption. The backpack does nearly jack for me if I only farm carrots and tend sheep.

Heck, as a male I would still prefer clothes over a backpack and then I will decide if I need one for whatever job I decide to pursue later

This game has little to no UI so I suspect many new players don't even know backpack provides 0 insulation.

#9 2019-06-27 04:46:28

InSpace

Isn't the avarage player just afking in town and doing rp or farming 13000 carrots?

#10 2019-06-27 06:12:20

Spoonwood

RodneyC86 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

I think it's more of ignorance. If I were a female that stays in town to farm, I would vastly prefer a shoes, a loincloth and a cap over a backpack. Think it at least halves food consumption. The backpack does nearly jack for me if I only farm carrots and tend sheep.

Heck, as a male I would still prefer clothes over a backpack and then I will decide if I need one for whatever job I decide to pursue later

This game has little to no UI so I suspect many new players don't even know backpack provides 0 insulation.

It actually got changed a while back, and a backpack provide 5% insulation.  But, that 5% pales in comparison to using the furs for other clothing.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-06-27 10:21:34

MultiLife

Funny how people telling what an average player life is reveals more about themselves and their view on other players than what it actually is. big_smile

"Isn't average just sit and rp?" Says a person who is angry at others standing around and sees them as slackers.
"Isn't the average a derp who farms zillion carrots?" Says a person who is overwhelmed by newbies.
"Average is an equipment leeching brat" Says a person who sees others as greedy and lazy, the average being demanding kids who should earn their stuff.

To me, average player life is...
- Not started with a chain of /die. It was proven that it's a small minority who abuses it, not the average player.
- Ends in starvation. Proven by multiple charts of player death reason. Majority starves, so average must be starvation in one way or another.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-27 10:36:07)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#12 2019-06-27 11:42:58

RodneyC86

MultiLife wrote:

Funny how people telling what an average player life is reveals more about themselves and their view on other players than what it actually is. big_smile

"Isn't average just sit and rp?" Says a person who is angry at others standing around and sees them as slackers.
"Isn't the average a derp who farms zillion carrots?" Says a person who is overwhelmed by newbies.
"Average is an equipment leeching brat" Says a person who sees others as greedy and lazy, the average being demanding kids who should earn their stuff.

To me, average player life is...
- Not started with a chain of /die. It was proven that it's a small minority who abuses it, not the average player.
- Ends in starvation. Proven by multiple charts of player death reason. Majority starves, so average must be starvation in one way or another.

Interesting observation and how right you are. I am always cursing at these RPing royals and wishing I could just unleash a bomb that releases magic crown-seeking knives that kill everyone wearing a crown. Guess I'm also quite horrible.

#13 2019-06-27 13:25:33

MultiLife

We also tend to remember negative experiences more than positive ones so we often find ourselves over dramatizing the occurrences, in this case, calling it average, which would mean a huge amount of players. The bad experiences just feel like common occurrences when they poke at our eye even a little bit during a life. "Again they are doing this! Why is everyone like this! I'll kill them all!! They always do this!!"

I was accused of RP when I was baby touring my kids. I was waiting for kiln to cool down as I was smithing. To someone, saying "Wheat farm" and standing in it with a baby is roleplaying. :'D Man, that guy got me rustled. I almost suicided as he kept spitting that at me. I was the only fertile girl there... but no one else was so butthurt about things so I quickly calmed down and decided to stay for the quiet workers around me.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-27 13:28:17)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#14 2019-06-27 15:04:24

ollj

i care not for cloth or gear or the family size, but I care about the size of the weed farm the most (or if I can make a larger weed farm easily, with what i see, then this is my profession, fixing the small weef farm size), and the number of arrows and bear furs, and if im male, when considdering a /die
a town that lacks weed, arrows and bear furs, is just begging to die by bears, and has proven for two generations, to be  a town of too dumb or egoistic players, not much worth my time, when i can chose other towns.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-27 15:06:01)

#15 2019-06-28 20:38:21

Saolin

Lol, someone's salty. Was expecting something more like the second half of multi-life's post. This was a humorous read.

I like to think the average player goes around town looking to help, but isn't always able to identify a task that needs to be done or doesn't have the knowledge to complete it. If that happens they might stand around chatting or get up to mischief or run off into the wilderness and starve.

#16 2019-06-29 08:39:22

ollj

i rarely ever see any one of ten pick up a profession that is needed, especially while people ask fot it to be assisted in.
Instead of seeing people do what a town may need '(its always rope and kindling), i mostly see people to what they want to do or can do (making the 20th knife, just to get stabbed or lise it within 500 distance), which mostly ends up wasting water on berries. (bnecause berries is all they got to know)

instead of seeing carts being used to gather much needed ropes or kindling, i see more and more horse carts collect more and more excess iron.
you overestimate crowd-intelligence, its actually the lowest common denominator in large crowds.
as long chains are as strong as their weakest links.
i found many ruins with 30ish iron and very low kindling, but also full of things zthat would have decayyed before kindling.
they just sucked at making axes and making babies, but loved to collect more excess iron. its a common theme.

a baby tour isnt necessarily rp, its usually in search for baby clothing.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 08:45:21)

#17 2019-06-29 09:10:57

MultiLife

ollj wrote:

a town that lacks weed, arrows and bear furs, is just begging to die by bears, and has proven for two generations, to be  a town of too dumb or egoistic players, not much worth my time, when i can chose other towns.

Good, so you move on instead of staying and killing the town. That's how it should be done; if you don't like it, move on, others can go ahead and sit there if they want to.

ollj wrote:

[stuff about efficiency and how stupid crowds can be]

You remind me of the user pein a lot. Pein at his darkest moments. Your type gets frustrated, bitter, angry and annoyed when people are not doing things or refusing to do things in the game. To me, it has control freak vibes. You can't expect a hive mind style of work in a random online game with a rather terrible crafting system and tutorial. In the game, people have a right to refuse things and be stupid, and expecting them not to do that is rather silly. I hope you chill a bit and find enjoyment in your pursuits, rather than focus on everything "people don't do" or "people do that is bad and stupid". We have different kinds of people in the game and not all of them will please you.

ollj wrote:

a baby tour isnt necessarily rp, its usually in search for baby clothing.

In my case it was not roleplay at all. I was not pretending to be a sweet loving mother who teaches her child how the world works. It was a small town with only one woman, me, and I wanted to give my girls and boys maximum chance at survival. A lot of them wouldn't have zoom out mod, so I'd make sure they know what they can find in the town so they wouldn't run to the wrong direction and starve. The tour was to ensure the lineage has the maximum potential of succeeding in the next generation. And they did.

#18 2019-06-29 09:30:02

ollj

oh i moved on so many times, born as male in a town without hope, rope or kindling, it makes the /die so essentiial.
its just when im below 4 lifes, that i am stuck in such towns, and the last towns then just got the bad luck of being too many such towns, with me stuck in one of them. its more an exceptional state though, i am rarely below eight lifes.
born as female in such a town, i managed to fix many of their issues, making rope, kindling and babies. mostly making babies, fixes a towns lack of girls, because mothers fail to stay warm.
born as male in such a town, i managed to fix many of their issues, by luring 4 to 8 bears, in pairs of 2-3. but only if they dont even have 2 arrows in town, total, in gen 4+. no point in luring bears, when a city can defend itself against a bear.
its rarely the males that kill towns, but its the town that fails to give birth and make ropes, that kills itself.
so far i only once underestiomated a towns capability to defend against bears, and was in awe about it killing off thee 8 bears i lured. the town still deserved them at the time of the lure.

you see the control freak making a 5th knife, making demands and murdering people. thats not me.
you see the control freak, making property fences, and treating their own children as slaves. thats not me.

you see me, saying "just go wild" a lot, where ever people ask for something to do, especially near age 35, when i get too old to care what others do.
you see me in the attitude of "too many towns that cause too low lives for too many players on forced idle, now its time to kill some of them"

--

more recently, that attitude changed in a "hey, wanna joins me exploiring nw" "just fuck em"
and i was accompanied to a long travel, that was fun for both, and no grief for others.
this is just anormal separatist migration, totally murder free.

northwest, because thats a safe direction of maximum exploration (northeast works just aswell, BUT, eves currently seem to spawn on the east of the circle?
northwest, because i know, currently most eves spawn east/south of that long path of cut trees that i made, and i managed to find it a few times, from any eve-spawn, just by walking nw for 2k.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-29 09:42:00)

#19 2019-06-29 12:08:31

MultiLife

ollj wrote:

oh i moved on so many times, born as male in a town without hope, rope or kindling, it makes the /die so essentiial.
its just when im below 4 lifes, that i am stuck in such towns, and the last towns then just got the bad luck of being too many such towns, with me stuck in one of them. its more an exceptional state though, i am rarely below eight lifes.
born as female in such a town, i managed to fix many of their issues, making rope, kindling and babies. mostly making babies, fixes a towns lack of girls, because mothers fail to stay warm.
born as male in such a town, i managed to fix many of their issues, by luring 4 to 8 bears, in pairs of 2-3. but only if they dont even have 2 arrows in town, total, in gen 4+. no point in luring bears, when a city can defend itself against a bear.
its rarely the males that kill towns, but its the town that fails to give birth and make ropes, that kills itself.
so far i only once underestiomated a towns capability to defend against bears, and was in awe about it killing off thee 8 bears i lured. the town still deserved them at the time of the lure.

you see the control freak making a 5th knife, making demands and murdering people. thats not me.
you see the control freak, making property fences, and treating their own children as slaves. thats not me.

you see me, saying "just go wild" a lot, where ever people ask for something to do, especially near age 35, when i get too old to care what others do.
you see me in the attitude of "too many towns that cause too low lives for too many players on forced idle, now its time to kill some of them"

--

more recently, that attitude changed in a "hey, wanna joins me exploiring nw" "just fuck em"
and i was accompanied to a long travel, that was fun for both, and no grief for others.
this is just anormal separatist migration, totally murder free.

northwest, because thats a safe direction of maximum exploration (northeast works just aswell, BUT, eves currently seem to spawn on the east of the circle?
northwest, because i know, currently most eves spawn east/south of that long path of cut trees that i made, and i managed to find it a few times, from any eve-spawn, just by walking nw for 2k.

What I dislike the most in this message is your self-justification of actions. It's terrible. Who are you to judge what a town deserves? I find it astonishing. I always ensure I start towns far from bear caves so it's a good spot, but you say that town still should have crapton of arrows and bows ready just in case someone brings in bears to kill?
Who are you to say that towns should be prepared, when in reality, they wouldn't have to prepare for bears at all if people like you would not lure them in? We wouldn't have to waste milkweed on bows and arrows if nobody brought in bears. We could make minimal amount of bows and arrows just to get goose and kill some boars around the place.

Saying that a town without rope (bows and arrows) deserves to die is like saying a pacifist country with no army deserves to die. If there was no violence, we would use our resources in other things. But as there is violence, we must put our resources to things that can kill things that pose us a threat.

It's just... kinda disappointing when I meet people of this type. But I'm still glad you rather go "just fuk em" and leave and do something else.
You are probably very productive in your lives, although I'd also debate against the whole "40 stakes when making a road" thing. I am productive also, and I know how it feels when you feel like you're the only one doing the right things. But I always see hard workers in my lives, and people who try their best. Who don't deserve to be distracted by some lured bears.

The whole self-justification of things is what is grinding my gears. Yes we are free to do things but I just feel that something is off when someone starts explaining how it's a good thing and how they are righteous of doing so. This kind of mentality brings forth terrifying humans. Humans who think they are above others and justified in their actions. It gets extreme real fast.

#20 2019-06-29 19:27:18

pein

i learned long ago that the backpack minigame is cruel
we had very high pop games, like 30+ kids born almost same time, this was long ago, was more families, yet you born same place multiple times
if you brought rabbit, you never made a pack cause people tear it apart, so i often run off as a kid, take the furs, hide behind trees, make it there, steal the furs or take if soemone puts it down with no guilt
should i respect their rp shit, that their mother passed it down? i often born as a male or to the wrong mom, im a naked fuck and noobs in full gear
the other day i was a 5 year old and a guy asked us who is fast worker and even him gave it to some baby
and it's so bad when i spend 15 min to make a pack and when i come back my little sisters wearing full gear for free

now it's not the jelousy but if they don't care who gets it why should i?
i seen the worst examples, like i asked my sis to give me pack, she straight up had 4 pies, which was half of the towns plates, and people fighting for wild food and she ate 4 pies under 7 min, feeding to people and just hanging around
i seen people who tell me sorry, but i disagree when i ask for a pack then proceed to do nothing for a life
i was cursed for swapping clothing on a kid, i didn't even took it just swap it twice
i seen a person begging 15 straight min for a pack and then tried to kill me when i told we got only 3 packs, 2 of it was made by me

the worst was when s12 i made a camp from scratch and most of us returning for hours, and when i was makign every single pack there, 2 i na lfie, 4 in other, they were saying they don't trust me with a pack
so if i know i can return i think is fair if i die behind a tree or hide a pack and apron
others do the same

once i was making an upgraded cart and my sis wanted to take it, told her that i made a normal, take that one, then her communist speech that it's everyoens cart and she does an important job, blabla
when i got rabbits for a pack, she wanted to take them to make a pack herself
and 3 guys who were spoiled at birth, were like "oh you so sensitive"
ofc i sensitive when you got all at birth and i had to work for it
you are no leaders to me

i was skipping lifes when we had the desert meta, as a lot of towns died out without deserts
i could survive but i remember lifes when only 2 of us were alive and 10 babies died right after they grow hair and we had food all over
people just couldn't survive on a colder temp
and in the end i was alone and no more females
so i had to skip some lives cause the result was always the same

but when we are too many, and people only care of their offsprings, people start to grief
they eat all food, lure bears
i seen al lthe spoiled kids got bit by bears and people take their corpse apart like vultures
i seen people start shit and kill others then people stand around waiting to steal clothes
i personally just feed berries to sheep and that cleans up the town

actually it's ok to let some people die cause others will kill them anyway
but if you are near the bears, it's obvious that somebody will lure them
with the excessivee pad makers i cant really agree
cause pads go quick, the griefer drops them, chain kills, and then when you really need them there is no more
some rp doctors steal the fleece others make and even talk bs, so i don't like that, i want an apron and pants if possible, and if they play doctor then at least feed the sheep
lot of people just want the most expensive stuff for themselves, knives, swords (somewhy they always wants swords when no reason to have swords, like towns 3500 away from center), the horse, the upgraded cart
it's hard to believe in people cause most of them are assholes
like stealing the horse from under you at age 12 or you make a car and never see it again in 3 min you put it down

as for killing griefers, the average people are still think kills are bad, they heal griefers and kill heroes, so im tired to be a hero, and i don't give a fuck if they kill each other,i intervene later when is a real threat
all i got for killing less people is more headache
now even less skill involved in killing others and didn't made the game any better
long term you will remember the bad cases and that trusting others will get you nowhere
you can still start the game with a positive mentality but really need to punish the assholes or they will annoy you a lot

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#21 2019-06-30 01:02:14

Spoonwood

ollj wrote:

instead of seeing carts being used to gather much needed ropes or kindling, i see more and more horse carts collect more and more excess iron.

That seems like a strange to me to say.  I often encounter towns that haven't gotten enough iron yet.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2019-06-30 20:08:33

RoosterFoot

For me the average life is

> Born
> Mom says hi
>Named
>Dropped off at fire until grown
> Do boring things
> No one TALKS
>Get old
> Do more boring shit
> Die old

I'd like to find a way to spice up life now. It's so repetitive!

#23 2019-06-30 21:27:24

HumboldtStoneHoe

My average life just starts with me sitting next to the fire for three minutes and getting fed and then it's toque blanche time (it's an op clothing item) for the rest of my life, sometimes I bring kindling because the roleplayers keep killing me for making toque blancehs

toque blanche? check, shawl? check, backpack? none.
yep it's stone hoe time

Board footer