One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-04-03 05:47:20

Siolfor the Jackal

Re: Keep all the children alive

Kouyate wrote:
Siolfor the Jackal wrote:

Yeah, I really dislike the idea of letting kids starve, it sucks when it happens to me.
I had a mother last night who told my sister and I that we should let some babies starve for the good of our farm. But when I eventually had kids I just couldn't do it. We had a brief moment where food was gone but my kids were good and we recovered quickly. I think I lost two kids anyway, but only because they waited to long to feed. I did my best and we all mostly survived. But I was lucky, I had smart, motivated children.

If I remember this correctly, we were the Bear clan and we stumbled on a dead farm with some tools and furnaces but no carts. I had spawned as Eve and immediately had a girl, then another, then another. We were doomed. I told NOUF that she was not allowed to keep any children, and that my eldest two daughters were to keep only one daughter each. Each child that lived, fought hard knowing that others would die so that they could have a chance at life.

Here's the thing...with how hard my first few children were working and with the seed rows being protected (right near the fire where the matriarch could watch) I ended up sparing all my future children. I think it was that initial fear of death by mother and being given a chance is what motivated our little crew. Who in turn motivated their own children. I don't know how that village or civ turned out after we renovated...but I did spawn after another full hour life as a Bear and we were still going strong that is until my smart children axed me.

Fun times. Glad you made it.

Edit:If I remember correctly changes the context of my sentence entirely the previously written "I REMEMBER CORRECTLY" was erroneous you may not even be my daughter idfk

It could have been, that sounds very similar. My mother in that life found a crown and my sister and I both had wolf hats. You were killed by a bear on our farm, my sister ran off but eventually came back. Then our children fixed up the whole farm and camp.

#27 2018-04-03 06:07:52

Kouyate

Ah well, seems to fit the bill though. When you let your children know that it's a burden to keep them alive they seem to find a little bit more of a self worth and take care of themselves.

Personally how I deal with a new child who immediately asks "job?" or "what should do" I let them follow me around to my workstation while I mutter the process a few times or until they get the hang of it. Once I see they know what's going on I tell them "we need to get more -related consumable-" and start doing a different project.

#28 2018-04-03 13:12:39

Aname

Ignore the kids who arent saying f those kids are most of the time eating all the berries from the berry bush farm. or eating seed row.

And if i say that they have to kill that baby They Always say okay. and when i come and check that kid is still alive. and what happend that shitty kid was destroying the farm. and he died with clothes on on the farm prob of starvation like dude.

I get that you want youre legacy to go on but come on Dont let the city die because you want to have kids to go on with youre last name.

because they all prob died in the end of starvation because all those kids destroy the farm.

so i rather die with 2 boys then i die with 15 kids trying to stay alive.

Eve Gluck! We are the great glucks and we will beat every other dynasty!

Best Gluck linage so far: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4082492

#29 2018-04-04 17:32:31

Sakkiyn

Lexyvil wrote:

As soon as I manage to be about 3 years old in a town that suffers from famine (or close to be), I tend to wander and live alone far in the woods and survive on berries to get my bearings. After making the basic clothing (loincloth or reed skirt), it's enough for me to help fix a town by getting whatever it's lacking of.

Yeah it is not that hard really.

The worst case I have seen is where a griefer who takes like 10 full carrot carts, who knows where, and pie carts, to hide so everyone will starve that is too dumb to know where a good refuge is (wild berry areas). Of course they will just respawn of quit for the night or for good if they are thin skinned.

#30 2018-04-04 23:43:20

Lily

Sakkiyn wrote:
Lexyvil wrote:

As soon as I manage to be about 3 years old in a town that suffers from famine (or close to be), I tend to wander and live alone far in the woods and survive on berries to get my bearings. After making the basic clothing (loincloth or reed skirt), it's enough for me to help fix a town by getting whatever it's lacking of.

Yeah it is not that hard really.

The worst case I have seen is where a griefer who takes like 10 full carrot carts, who knows where, and pie carts, to hide so everyone will starve that is too dumb to know where a good refuge is (wild berry areas). Of course they will just respawn of quit for the night or for good if they are thin skinned.

Reminds me the other night when I was born and the moment I got big enough to feed myself my mother grabbed a knife and said, "My brother stole a bunch of stuff, so I am going to go kill him." Ran off and came back like 2 minutes later with all the stuff.

#31 2018-04-05 12:12:30

pein

did a few runs, you actually got no clue how many females are sometimes

i had a run where all boys survived while girls dont because they were noobs
they tried keep all alive they killed all

there is a limit how many can you handle, like a new run when you setup carrot farm, maybe 5-6 when goes above 10-14 liek 6 of them will die
get some rules and dont feel bad about killing off some babies, dont waste their game time
i pefer having a daughter who is smart enough but i dont just kill off boys
people who communicate are smart enough to live, ask yes no question and tell them to ask to feed
show around ask what he can do, i seen people afk dieing near fire cause were too old
keeping all is just a waste most time

my rules so far: when i only turn 16, and can have kids, one at a time, it seems they use more of your hunger meter, which can kill you very easy even in full gear
i dont feed others kids, if the parents dont name them , even if they do and dont ask for it, "hey raise my kids cause im bored of it". i still wont if we dont have resources
we should help new players to learn but they should and could pick up things from youtube videos

had some kids run away after i told that we got not enough food
i would do the same, if they ask me
after 7 or 8 a run when i had full gear at eight scavenging for myself only could teach one properly
you cant spend all gametime with running after kids
also you need to extend accordingly or you are the fault of famines

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#32 2018-04-05 12:22:00

pein

some of you just talk without experiencing really crazy towns
i spawn first on a village all milkweed was gone, that takes one hour to regrow
water wells hold 7-10 then they are useless for 10 hours
berry bushes can die out cause people wait for carots, its worse when you try to look around the map and die at age 10-15
i rather die as a baby

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#33 2018-04-05 12:25:23

quaity

I want to admit

I let 4 kids starve tonight. Otherwise, I almost always take care of my kids, even if I'm with a cart gathering in the wilderness.

However, I had some things I wanted to take care of and I definitely would not have been able to if I ran back four times. I probably would have been old and about to die by the time I gathered one cart's worth of resources.

#34 2018-04-05 12:30:46

TrustyWay

The saddest thing about this game is that experienced players still have to work hard while new players browse around the carrots farm, you can't kill them if not their stuff desappear.

Board footer