One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-24 06:29:27

schmloo

Suggestion: Make cursing a /command, and not limited by age.

I’ve heard that the subreddit is only for last resorts. I’ve also observed that when an incident does happen, less than half of the population curses, and most of the ones that don't are unable to do so.

I personally have limited experience in programming, but I hope the suggestion is still considered and is potentially doable in the engine.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2019-06-24 10:28:32

MistressZues

Re: Suggestion: Make cursing a /command, and not limited by age.

Ive thought this should be done as well, It sucks when you are a child or a teen or even just a young adult and you cant curse someone because their name is Augustine Valentcio or something like that. You have to be atleast 27 before you can finally curse them.

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#3 2019-06-24 11:16:27

Tarr
Banned

Yeah, it should definitely just be a command. What's the point in having a curse token in the first place if you can't use it when you actually want to? I've had a few lives in the past where I couldn't curse my mothers killer because I was a baby and he died before I hit the age I could type out the whole name. Even the shortest names in game require you to be 11 meaning you need to be at least six before the person you're trying to curse is killed to use the thing.

Of course on the flip side giant names exist which means it's possible to make a person require age 30+ to get cursed which is just as equally silly.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-06-24 11:25:20

Kamor

Yeah this limitation sucks. Change it to a command should be an easy fix and would help a lot.

#5 2019-06-24 13:22:04

Sukallinen

Mouseover curse ++

#6 2019-06-24 14:33:54

pein

well i dont agree fully, there needs to be some kind of limit

not raising a kid is always an option

sometimes is hard to judge good and bad side
there are just 2 sides

you drop in as a baby with limited information

most of community raises the babies most of the time
but is more like a courtesy
if you got to choose between you and your baby is always you, who need to survive, you already got information of the map
some lifes you cant even provide food for yourself so dragging 2 babies across hundreds of tiles is not a good option
some people are just new and cant provide

yeah, sure, there are those idiots  who lock themselves up in a fence and shoot babies and tell others they were bad or racist and such

but i think the first 8 minutes you shouldnt  be able to curse
like at least be a kid of decent size to have a voting power, i dont say every situation is like that, but how could you judge if you werent even in game in 3 min? if someone kills others in a row, its stil lthe adults responsibility to save the kids
and certainly i dont think someone needs to be cursed cause doesnt see the birth of a kid or doesnt have a safe way to feed a quad in middle of nowhere

one aspect of the game is that you born as a helpless baby and you are completely under others control, will
that 3 minutes should mean something
lot of people got no respect for their ingame parent, they are just "oh get it over with"

or the streaming people are like "oh kill our mom"

now in a situation when a griefer girl has a baby, sometimes can convince her kid to do evil things, and sell it as heroic act

happened to me, happened to others

once a lady was making a "hospital" in a total bad spot, and takign every fleece i produced, when i mentioned it, she went crazy and tried frame me
i couldnt let that happen and got rid of her
later someone went afk for long in front of the only kiln so i snowballed her until died
some even thanked me
there was one baby who killed me later cause i killed her grandma and her aunt
not like she cared about them
she just wanted to be a hero
but defending a thief is same as doing yourself
and she came at me at age 8, hard to see

was i right? well, i consider it right when someone steals items i make for her personal projects, and she even talks crap
i took back 2 fleece so i can finally make my apron and she went on rampage

sure it can seem for others that i just killed her
but i dont think babies got anything to contribute to such a conversation
i got back there and snowball+stab her when i was age 8, rare occasion this happens, she didnt see it coming

the other case i would like to mention is when a girl was trying to  take some rope for soem dumb project of hers
a guy was planting milkweed and was arguing with her
then she was munching berries for a while and havign a baby
she ran around the city to convince others to curse Kimi
and teached her daughter to kill him
they tried to make a knife
when i checked upon Kimi, he was my son, but more importantly he  was a working member of society
with self made clothes
i warned him that this idiots wanna kill him
and i stabebd the lil girl when she was sent upon him to kill
but in meantime her mother, was just laughing on us cause no harm was to her
the curses went on kimi and they werent doing anything so they didnt mind getting killed

other than that, i dont think is a good idea to limit curses to letters
a 8 year old kid or a 12 year old, or if you got long family name, already a 16 year old, or if you got even longer nick name, the limit can go high as 40+
"curse oluwalumilade ravichandran"
thats a legit name can occur and this sentence is quite long for most people

all in all, i support curse command but has to be a minimum like age 8 (before 3 you are unable to do anything, and extra 5 minutes for the curse)
i think is fair to say that if you are not a toddler yet, and something happens, its none of your business

Last edited by pein (2019-06-24 14:35:09)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-06-24 14:51:24

SparkleCake

I think a serious consideration should be made for potential streamers.

A hypothetical situation:

• Sally Stream broadcasts to 2,000 viewers.

• 8 viewers boot up OHOL and "/curse Sally Stream"

• Sally Stream is banished to donkey town.

While this is already possible, it's currently less likely due to the newborn character limit. I don't feel like we need to make it completely effortless.

----- Edit -----

It's only possible to curse people within your lineage.
Thanks to Tarr for the correction.

Last edited by SparkleCake (2019-06-24 17:09:28)

#8 2019-06-24 16:18:21

schmloo

pein wrote:

but i think the first 8 minutes you shouldnt  be able to curse
like at least be a kid of decent size to have a voting power, i dont say every situation is like that, but how could you judge if you werent even in game in 3 min? if someone kills others in a row, its stil lthe adults responsibility to save the kids

pein wrote:

other than that, i dont think is a good idea to limit curses to letters
a 8 year old kid or a 12 year old, or if you got long family name, already a 16 year old, or if you got even longer nick name, the limit can go high as 40+
"curse oluwalumilade ravichandran"
thats a legit name can occur and this sentence is quite long for most people

all in all, i support curse command but has to be a minimum like age 8 (before 3 you are unable to do anything, and extra 5 minutes for the curse)
i think is fair to say that if you are not a toddler yet, and something happens, its none of your business

Your point about babies being left because of business and quads being left in early camps because of the lack of food kind of goes hand-in-hand with SparkleCake’s point about stream snipers - both made me see the importance of some kind of limit.

Observation (and experience, guilty as I am) tells me that if and when a person curses depends on if they can remember the name, and if they can be bothered to stop what they’re doing to curse them. So essentially, it depends on the time it takes for someone to review their actions and come out of the “heat of the moment”. It might also depend on how long it takes for someone to scoop up the bones and dump them in an unknown location, so if you forget the name there’s no way of finding it again. Oh and Sukallinen’s mouse-over curse is a good way to counter that 40+ character off-putting entry.

While 8 is a fair number, my initial thought was a limit was 5 years old, as that’s enough time to be given a tour when young, and learn of the main contributors to the town when a little older in the next 2 minutes (giving an idea of who’s more or less likely to be an actual griefer worthy of a curse). Also if your innocent mother is shot in the back as soon as you’re born (happened a couple times), you want to curse that person asap if they haven’t explained themselves and are just a turd in general, and the entire town decides to curse them. At the end of the day, until actual law mechanics are implemented, the judgement of the community’s the best you’re gonna get.

Also I usually bugger off to find the prairie at the age of 6/7 like 90% of the time, because I’d be the only naked person in town for the rest of my life if not. Smh.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#9 2019-06-24 16:49:12

Tarr
Banned

SparkleCake wrote:

I think a serious consideration should be made for potential streamers.

A hypothetical situation:

• Sally Stream broadcasts to 2,000 viewers.

• 8 viewers boot up OHOL and "/curse Sally Stream"

• Sally Stream is banished to donkey town.

While this is already possible, it's currently less likely due to the newborn character limit. I don't feel like we need to make it completely effortless.

You have to be in the same lineage as her at this point. So yes it's possible to stream snipe people (the reason Jason over nerfed curses in the first place) but if you're getting together eight trolls to send someone directly to donkey town it takes coordination. It's no different than people cursing anyone else out in the first place with the only downside being it can annoy a streamer.

fug it’s Tarr.

#10 2019-06-24 17:05:21

SparkleCake

Tarr wrote:

You have to be in the same lineage as her at this point.

Thanks for that correction. I had forgotten that curses are now limited to the lineage.

#11 2019-06-24 21:15:29

RedComb

I think cursing should be a command or a mouse over option (possibly both), but I agree it shouldn't work until you are at least 5 years old.

There have been times when I had a baby a short distance away from town and the baby's first words to me were "U-F-A-G" when I had done nothing more than clothe them and give them a backpack from my dead mother's corpse (who I had been searching for and just found prior to my baby's birth).

So I set the baby down, walked a random direction so they wouldn't stumble upon town and get fed, and when they said "F" I told them no, they say rude things, so they die. They were mad but I'm frankly sick and tired of people who are born and act like total jerks from the get go. It's not funny and it's a waste of my time. They deserve to die and not to have any way to come after me for it.

I shouldn't be cursed for that. If a baby starts right off with homophobic and racist stuff, or just starting drama with people by spelling out "F U" and "U U G L Y" to people, mom's should be able to kill them without fearing retaliation.

I realize the flip side of this is bad mom's (like I had one call me a sex slave, and saw another one naming their kids "N-----"). It would be nice for baby's to be able to curse that kind of stuff, but I think that can still be covered by other players nearby.

This game has a bad problem with a few people spouting racist and homophobic nonsense. I play GW2 (world vs world) and I almost never see that kind of stuff (and this is in competitive pvp maps). Granted, people still rage at each other and there is plenty of drama, but the racism and homophobic stuff tends to earn instant bans, so it's fairly uncommon given the number of players...

Of course, GW2 has a "report" feature and people who actually look into stuff and ban players when there is a legit problem. I understand Jason is just one person and can't do that, but if he's going to leave it up to the community to police itself, the tools need to work better for doing so.

Last edited by RedComb (2019-06-24 21:19:20)

Board footer