One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-24 11:48:41

RodneyC86

To Eve Tigert

Fluff post, but I want to know if a forumer was the player.

I was your only surviving son when you died with a basket of rope and iron ore in hand. What happened?
Anyway, this is my first true attempt at living out as a second gen. I hope I wasn't being disappointing.

When I saw your grave I set your bones beside the kiln. I figured I challenge myself to set up a forge and give you a proper burial before I pass on.
And so I did, and marked your grave with a carrot I was growing that you were looking probably looking forward to.

Thanks for the opportunity, Eve Tigert.

#2 2019-06-24 12:13:49

testo

Re: To Eve Tigert

Really? first time in gen 2? You have been around like two months now, lel.

Gen 2 is the most important, even above the Eve. With a decent girl and a few males on gen 2 even the worst Eve has a chance to get a long line. BTW I checked on a low pop server and it took me seven lives to make it to a working car. I´m guessing I can make it in six because oil wasn´t on my side (took me like 10 pipes). Better players can definitively make it in six (can anybody make it alone in five?? idk...) and a decent group should be able to reach a gen 5 working engine with ease.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#3 2019-06-24 12:22:38

Tarr
Banned

Yeah, generation two is one of the best to play in if you really want to make a difference in a potential village as you have all the power to start cranking out major changes once a place has been decided. Gen 2 is probably one of the better time to play male (if you have a decent woman) because you can really get a lot done that normally might be a few hours off.

The only real downside to early play is it's very stale in the sense that you pretty much should know who should be doing what at all times and that if you're a decent player it's going to be a very focused hour of play. If you've never done twins+ in a gen 2 camp I very much recommend it if they'll risk keeping you as you can go from having a single hammer to prepping the oil rig in a single life which feels pretty amazing.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-06-24 12:29:39

RodneyC86

testo wrote:

Gen 2 is the most important, even above the Eve. With a decent girl and a few males on gen 2 even the worst Eve has a chance to get a long line. BTW I checked on a low pop server and it took me seven lives to make it to a working car. I´m guessing I can make it in six because oil wasn´t on my side (took me like 10 pipes). Better players can definitively make it in six (can anybody make it alone in five?? idk...) and a decent group should be able to reach a gen 5 working engine with ease.

Heh, you tell me, I almost never get born into early camps for whatever reason. Maybe I don't /die at all.
I think this is the second or third time truth to be told but I end up dying too fast as I was new and didn't even know my wild foods yet.
Also,I only play a life every other day past 3 weeks. I probably spend too much time on these forums haha, compared to my actualyplay time

#5 2019-06-24 12:31:58

Sukallinen

TL;DR - hp to ./sad

As relative newbie I prefer gen3, gives some freedom. I've been around the bench (or how do you state it in English idk).

There is usually eve still, but bit old, and hopefully coordinating stuff - so I say what I'd prefer to do (ofc if nobody found iron yet it's priority), and old lady tells me which areas are searched already. But I think I can pick what I bring, usually go nude still but some gen 2 is (if pein or Tarr) with horse, if not then at gen3 I make cart anyhow and now baskets don't decay so they're good.

Eve has done (hopefully) two 3x3 berryfarms, and someone is expanding so I can go drop all branches from nearby trees while I travel searching... whatever-or just making more and more charcoal. But my forte' is making milkweed, and gen3 can do it massively. After that it's just either enough players or enough ppl who bring water. When couple of iron mines found, that, water and coal and all is set.

./sad thing that kills after that is either 50% of twins are griefers, not good ones so they grief gen3-4 (since they cannot do better) or boredom by ppl who arrive there-nothing to do any more. <- yay you found point of my post.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-24 12:33:03)

#6 2019-06-24 12:37:05

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:

Yeah, generation two is one of the best to play in if you really want to make a difference in a potential village as you have all the power to start cranking out major changes once a place has been decided. Gen 2 is probably one of the better time to play male (if you have a decent woman) because you can really get a lot done that normally might be a few hours off.

The only real downside to early play is it's very stale in the sense that you pretty much should know who should be doing what at all times and that if you're a decent player it's going to be a very focused hour of play. If you've never done twins+ in a gen 2 camp I very much recommend it if they'll risk keeping you as you can go from having a single hammer to prepping the oil rig in a single life which feels pretty amazing.

What is the earliest Gen you have seen that got an engine running?

#7 2019-06-24 15:15:39

pein

testo wrote:

that seems quite high

i mean i didnt gather the iron but i was twice in a place

first life i made 3 cores without rubber
4 pistons (1 for newcommen multipurpose)
2 tanks and a distiller(without pipe)
and processed like 5 stacks of iron into steel

second life i made around 5 rubebr plus left some buckets on the trees near the oven i made
completed the cores, and had some trouble placing the newcommen where i want, Spoonwood was fucking around with it so i stab him and got killed for it by a dumbfuck
i was like 50 and not fully focusing on just that
in 10 min i could of made the pulley drive and the attachments, maybe the pistons
i also made a fence near kilns, a cistern to store some water for the forge

generally goes slower than that, but with all this prepwork, it was really just a matter of smashing down the items, so even if they distrub you or even as a woman, one extra life can do the trick

now if i do it from scratch and got to get sheep, mine, horse thats one life

so i cant see how takes longer than 4

even in donkey town where Baker and me were fuckign around 4 hours raising each other, chilling and making food, we were quite close to it in 4 hours

i guess if we share the work i would do the rubber parts and the oil, then with a decent smith and a gatherer can be done in 3 just hard to find 3 decent people during 2 straight lifes same place

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-06-24 15:23:04

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:
Tarr wrote:

To get an actually full done and running one? It probably could be done in Gen four to be honest. I've had a quad eve start that finished sheep pen/newcomen parts + all the attachments in our 46 minutes being alive (We were all veteran players so that obviously helped.) Depending on how long everything takes in a perfect world it would end up being something like

Gen one: Find spot, fetch iron for gen two.
Gen two: Get all the newcomen tech started start working on getting oil done.
Gen three: Get the oil rig finished and prepare to start engine
Gen four: Get the pump done.

Depending on how good you are and who is around to help definitely matters. If I have all the raw iron it takes about 26-30 minutes to pop out a diesel engine by myself. Oil is just tricky because all of the rng involved.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-06-24 15:34:25

RodneyC86

Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:
Tarr wrote:

To get an actually full done and running one? It probably could be done in Gen four to be honest. I've had a quad eve start that finished sheep pen/newcomen parts + all the attachments in our 46 minutes being alive (We were all veteran players so that obviously helped.) Depending on how long everything takes in a perfect world it would end up being something like

Depending on how good you are and who is around to help definitely matters. If I have all the raw iron it takes about 26-30 minutes to pop out a diesel engine by myself. Oil is just tricky because all of the rng involved.

Woah slow down Turbo, you're gonna get the diesel pump nerfed. Is it quad eve on a low pop server?

#10 2019-06-24 15:39:02

Tarr
Banned

RodneyC86 wrote:
Tarr wrote:
RodneyC86 wrote:

Woah slow down Turbo, you're gonna get the diesel pump nerfed. Is it quad eve on a low pop server?

We did it on main server when we did it. It was LostScholar, me, and I believe two of his viewers. The only hard part is making sure to rush a backpack so you can fetch the iron quicker. One person fetches iron, one person is basically a full time smith, one person raising the second gen kids, and someone producing food. It's obviously a lot harder now with there being a language barrier but a good quad Eve can very much get to newcomen work in their lifetime.

fug it’s Tarr.

#11 2019-06-24 16:33:32

Spoonwood

Tarr isn't mentioning that he did that before the temperature overhaul.  It's not as easy as before, since people will need to eat more and/or get some clothing.  That said, I have managed to make a newcomen atmospheric core starting from the tutorial area (and no, I didn't use some settlement that had gotten built there).  So, I think what he describes still comes as possible.

That said, it doesn't seem like there exists a large ratio of players who understand the oil and engine process.  On top of that, griefers as well as disorganization can impede the process.  Someone Eve chaining over a few lives on a low pop server has the advantage of having things organized from the start and none of the kindling get used towards something like only a knife when the town doesn't really need another one.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2019-06-24 16:47:26

Tarr
Banned

It's definitely not impossible to still do it at this point considering we have even faster sheep pens at this point in time. An Eve can without a doubt start producing mutton pies within her lifetime if her sole goal isn't to start pushing tech to the max and with a quad group you very well could get to the point of having a baker Eve, smith Eve, forager Eve, and one Eve doing whatever she needs.

The only difference between now and then is you need to keep your population in better check because four women will flood a village with babies which will kill you if you aren't watching.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-06-25 01:15:04

testo

pein wrote:
testo wrote:

that seems quite high

i mean i didnt gather the iron but i was twice in a place

first life i made 3 cores without rubber
4 pistons (1 for newcommen multipurpose)
2 tanks and a distiller(without pipe)
and processed like 5 stacks of iron into steel

second life i made around 5 rubebr plus left some buckets on the trees near the oven i made
completed the cores, and had some trouble placing the newcommen where i want, Spoonwood was fucking around with it so i stab him and got killed for it by a dumbfuck
i was like 50 and not fully focusing on just that
in 10 min i could of made the pulley drive and the attachments, maybe the pistons
i also made a fence near kilns, a cistern to store some water for the forge

generally goes slower than that, but with all this prepwork, it was really just a matter of smashing down the items, so even if they distrub you or even as a woman, one extra life can do the trick

now if i do it from scratch and got to get sheep, mine, horse thats one life

so i cant see how takes longer than 4

even in donkey town where Baker and me were fuckign around 4 hours raising each other, chilling and making food, we were quite close to it in 4 hours

i guess if we share the work i would do the rubber parts and the oil, then with a decent smith and a gatherer can be done in 3 just hard to find 3 decent people during 2 straight lifes same place

It took me seven lives starting from scratch, no klin no basket no nothing.

I wasted time getting backpack/sheep/horse.
I added a small farm wich proved to be useless.
Lost a lot of time farming more milkweed than needed.

If I tried it again I would rush into cart faster with no bp and I would simply forget about sheep/horse, eating only rabbit pies and raw food. I also lost 10 minutes locating a decent place because the Eve spawning in server 15 was close to other people. Even then I think my spot wasn´t really good (my tarry spot and spring were not close enough).

Overall it was a nice first try, bare in min I lost about 10 min/ while Eve chaining, I am not a veteran and I was alone in the world. XD

However this can definitively be done way faster.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

Board footer