One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-21 19:09:41

Vexenie

Re: Why I Think OHOL Has a Grim Future....... #RIP OG OHOL

So what I'm getting from this, that the first players start to disappear or play more less of the game, so to keep the fun factor running, you'll need new players constantly?

I might as well talk from my a**, but I'm one of those earlier players, when every eve started at one point, causing the town around it to be the most advanced or something
Anyway, I'm also the one, who plays less, but it's because of how much I've played this game
I legit played this every freetime I had, but now, all my OHOL playing spirit is now used up and let me tell, sometimes gaming spirit can regenerate, SLOWLY

Jason, While oceans and rivers and such would make the game a lot more interesting, the game is good as it is! The weekly updates are the thing that keeps me playing this game.

Multiplayer games are either boring or interesting, and it's because of other players. The unpredictability with other players is what make multiplayer games good.
Roleplay also makes things more interesting, but others don't want it either cuz of it's a waste, or we just don't have options.

Here's what I have:
Give us poses to do, like dancing, jumping jacks and things like these!
Actions with other players, either can be done anytime when their hands are empty or when they have a certain emotion also

Basically, make the player have connections with other players, so they don't see each other as people who try to survive, but as a family, friends, love, strangers and all that

Make the birth system more "realistic"
more boy babies are born in good conditions, but more girl babies are born in bad conditions
It's cuz of continuing the species, even in humans!
Make food have a quality value, like berries are low, pie is normal and taco is high
Quality can't be seen and this would even encourage eating better food, how? by also increasing the change to have a baby.

This will mean, you'll have a more chance to have more boys in advanced than in eve camp to start a civ
Of course, a girl or two will be born, that is basically all

Make also eves spawn eve-n closer to each other to encourage trade or multi family towns

This is all I can come up with and of course:
This all of it is coming from my a**

Goodbye (Not leaving forums or game for real, as in bye for now)

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#27 2019-06-21 20:42:12

teanah

Meh. I got my $20 worth of entertainment out of it but I think I'm done.

I played a bunch when the game first came out. It was kind of fun to catch bunnies and run around with a backpack and one shoe.  The infamous basket decay update pretty much killed my interest. I was a bit curious about the photo and other updates that have been made recently so I played a few lives this week.

It was still mostly running around with a backpack and one shoe. Civilization seems pretty much stalled out at making mutton pies, and trying to find enough water to keep the berry bushes alive. It's just tedious. Sure cars and airplanes exist, but no one is going to build these things when the game is still so focused on dirt farming.

#28 2019-06-21 20:43:09

futurebird

teanah wrote:

I played a bunch when the game first came out. It was kind of fun to catch bunnies and run around with a backpack and one shoe.  The infamous basket decay update pretty much killed my interest.

Baskets don't decay anymore.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#29 2019-06-21 20:55:00

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:
teanah wrote:

I played a bunch when the game first came out. It was kind of fun to catch bunnies and run around with a backpack and one shoe.  The infamous basket decay update pretty much killed my interest.

Yeah but towns decay in <8 hours if not seen. They come from a time when nothing decayed what so ever and while many things have improved I wouldn't really recommend getting back into the game if the early days are what you enjoyed about ohol.

fug it’s Tarr.

#30 2019-06-21 20:57:30

teanah

futurebird wrote:

Yeah I know. It was a game killing update that was eventually fixed.

My point was that after taking nearly a year off of playing I returned to find civilization stalled at nearly that exact same level and keeping characters fed and alive is exactly the same tedious grind.

#31 2019-06-21 23:26:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm pretty sure there have been 1000+ new objects (or something like that) added in the past year.  The game is anything but "stalled."

There were more new interactive things added to the game this year than most games have, period.

Now, whether players are building those things is another question.  But the game shipped with "hand cart" as the most advanced tech, only four biomes, etc.

No bears, no desert, no horses, no arctic, no jungle, no pumps, no oil, no rubber, no cars, no planes, no roads, no electronics, no cameras, much less clothing, about 20x less food variety, no fishing, no gambling, no baby names, no family tree, no family relationship names, no property, no war, no languages, no locks, no signs, no writing, no death stagger, no murder slow-down, no cursing, no donkytown, no bell tower, no apocalypse.

If you think the game has only gotten worse, I think you've forgotten where it started.

There is a time machine server available for your convenience:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6250

Of course, no one is playing there, for a reason.  There have only been 48 lives lived there in a month an a half.

During that same time, there were this many lives lived on the main server:

That's over 10,000x more lives.  People seem to like the main server better.

#32 2019-06-22 00:34:27

Dantox

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm pretty sure there have been 1000+ new objects (or something like that) added in the past year.  The game is anything but "stalled."

There were more new interactive things added to the game this year than most games have, period.

Meanwhile it is true that the game has more interactive items than last year (planes, cars, dogs, cards, the lame radio and the better one) the main problem here is that these are just toys that easily can been griefed or be used for griefing only (pitbulls) by anyone on the town in less than 5 minutes where making one of those can take 1 life minimum to build if you have all ingredients at your disposal and if you have the wiki open on your phone or memorize it in your brain. The problem that i at least see here is that the game is starting to feel stale because the meta or the tech progress isnt really changing and the repetitive chores are making it worse for everyone.

My take in this situation is that numbers are subjective because interactive items alone wont make the game feel fresh if those items are mostly ingredients that will end up as clutter on a random place of town or not crafted at all by players due to their complexity or lack of real utility. No matter what generation you are on you will be still working with an oven, kin and forge made out of adobe and with a newcomen that eats resources for breakfast for every use.

Last edited by Dantox (2019-06-22 00:52:56)

make bread, no war

#33 2019-06-22 00:41:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

You're right, which is why I'm not piling on more content right now.  There's enough, at least for now.  Need to make the existing stuff (and the heart of the game) better.

Property fences are a great example.  They allow you to protect your radio or airplane from griefers very easily (pick a trusted kid, and pass it on to them).

#34 2019-06-22 01:43:07

Dantox

jasonrohrer wrote:

You're right, which is why I'm not piling on more content right now.  There's enough, at least for now.  Need to make the existing stuff (and the heart of the game) better.

Property fences are a great example.  They allow you to protect your radio or airplane from griefers very easily (pick a trusted kid, and pass it on to them).

It is nice to hear that you are willing to revisit the actual mechanics of the game and with the new poll feature i feel that you will be able to communicate better with the community in general!

And meanwhile i am aware that you are not looking for suggestions, i would do recommend you looking at the cooking mechanics of the game as i believe they are the most repetitive with how everyone is on making pies because the oven is more reliable than using other tools like hot coals, but that is just an opinion.

make bread, no war

#35 2019-06-22 01:46:37

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

It's never your radio, because it isn't like you just built the thing yourself.  Oh, and same goes for planes actually since even if you get one up in a life, it's not like you own the tarry spot either.  Personal property on bigserver2 is a joke in this game and anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't understand the time constraints. Personal property exists on low population servers, but NOT because of silly things like property fences, but rather because players respect other people's towns (and even then, all the food in a town isn't owned by a person strictly speaking).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#36 2019-06-22 01:47:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I'm looking for statements of problems, so that's one.  Cooking repetitive, pies easiest.

#37 2019-06-22 02:30:26

Erudaru

teanah wrote:
futurebird wrote:

Yeah I know. It was a game killing update that was eventually fixed.

My point was that after taking nearly a year off of playing I returned to find civilization stalled at nearly that exact same level and keeping characters fed and alive is exactly the same tedious grind.

I feel the same, there's lots of new things to eat and wear but people still eat off the ground, live outdoors, and farm by hand.

It seems like Jason wasted a lot of time on radios, cars and war but I'm confident that those were necessary as a foundation for things to come.

We've got a bunch of improvements that wouldn't be immediately noticeable when you come to play after a long break, like a new temperature logic, yum, tree planting (biggest game-changer!) so I think that the game is absolutely evolving a lot. But, I agree, civilization itself does seem to be stuck at the same level.

#38 2019-06-22 02:40:20

RodneyC86

jasonrohrer wrote:

I'm looking for statements of problems, so that's one.  Cooking repetitive, pies easiest.

Oh shite, don't nerf the pies please. Buff the other complex foods instead. Nerfs to positive things are never fun for anyone.

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-22 02:40:33)

#39 2019-06-22 02:41:35

pein

the decay was quite bad, had a nice wibe to be in big walled cities
but part of why people leave, is that we run out of content and people start to grief, like first time the killing spree was because things were decaying and there was nothing to learn
when people tried out different jobs the first time, and was a huge set of items, the game was interesting

sure there are more items, but people don't really get excited about different steps of same item

some of the content is dead, could be fun, could worth it, could be part of a normal city routine, but just doesn't worth it

like dogs could have more purpose, goose could be more valuable, cows could make some burgers, pigs could be useful
rails are cheaper now but still not fully worth it, like if it's too long then you cant scavenge on middle as it only stops at ends, and it needs manual unloading and only carries same amount as a hand cart so not worth for short distance

some things like adobe walls could be fun, but painting them uses tons of limestone and tons of paint, tons of work and gets culled

and the group activities got no support, like very hard to make a good town defence or live in the wild and track each other

generally people want long and satisfying stuff, not too complex, like i see them doing update stuff, even if they are new, they want to experience how photos work, i think i did the most photos so far, like legit i seen people using the solution i made then nobody ever made one until i came to play again

i think the more décor items and cheaper painting and stuff would be good for the game, they shouldn't be so expensive to paint walls and some tables chairs would be interesting

the main asset is still the playerbase, creates weird and interesting lifes, so need more players or revive some bored veterans

generally i see a lot of update hoppers
maybe some different rule servers would be nice, we got 15 and we don't really use them
people would like events and different play goals

doing the same thing over and over burns us out a bit

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#40 2019-06-22 03:19:08

Tarr
Banned

While I wouldn't say the game is worse than where it started it definitely is weaker in certain areas. For one, we used to have a very lived in world which was awesome. The only time we sort of revisited this idea it was completely fucked due to constant respawning griefer Eves + people spawning way too close. Originally you had plenty of places to go see and build upon while now you get to build around some random walls left behind but a previous line. Legacy before the first apocalypse was absolutely amazing and now it's just some mossy walls left to rot until the next apocalypse. Sort of makes me wish we had everyone on the server around the time of four cities as that place would have been neat to see running at maximum capacity. With such short cull times in place now it's hard to justify even playing to be honest (part of the reason I don't).  Tons of towns had really cool histories and made for neat places to revisit which isn't really possible anymore.

Civilization is basically at the same point over a year later. While we now have some higher tech stuff at the very end of the tech tree none of it really changes the game all that much. Cars and planes aren't really usable on a public server, radios are toys that get griefed, and diesel pumps are just deep water wells with extra added steps. If you played the game a year ago you pretty much are playing the same game just with added improvements from the base game. Hell, I'm sure it's around this time that berries became meta so we've just been watering berry bushes for a year just with extra steps added into the process.

Spirit of the game was way better in the early days. If there's something that will always stick to me in this game it will be one of my earliest lives where three Eves worked together to raise their children on a little fire while one taught children to farm carrots, the next dealt with pottery, and the final mother feeding the babies. At this point in the game you absolutely do not want other families around due to the war sword mechanic. The beauty of working together to strive for the best possible future for your children was pissed away for roleplay murders because apparently the story of an asshole killing people is better than one of coming together to make a brighter future.

So while early ohol was by no means perfect it certainly has less tedium in regards to things like milkweed and definitely had some shining moments that current ohol doesn't.

fug it’s Tarr.

#41 2019-06-22 03:40:28

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

. The beauty of working together to strive for the best possible future for your children was pissed away for roleplay murders because apparently the story of an asshole killing people is better than one of coming together to make a brighter future.

It didn't result in people caring about their lineages more.  It just resulted in people caring about other lineages less.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#42 2019-06-22 09:27:54

MultiLife

jasonrohrer wrote:

There is a time machine server available for your convenience:

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6250

Of course, no one is playing there, for a reason.  There have only been 48 lives lived there in a month an a half.

During that same time, there were this many lives lived on the main server:

That's over 10,000x more lives.  People seem to like the main server better.

Wild guess but could it be people wanting to play for lineages and having everyone in the baby pool instead of going to a server which most don't know about, especially people living in other countries who could save a lineage during nighttime infertility?
And it's easier to open a game and press a button to play. People are lazy and hesitant trying new stuff. Most newbies (who make up the majority of players as of now, from Steam release to today) don't want to go back because they don't know what there is or why they would want that. And people who miss those times are either gone or in main game trying to make long lineages.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-22 09:29:06)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer