One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-20 14:39:37

futurebird

The story of the iron brothers.

I was in a typical gen 4 camp. I decided to farm some milkweed and noticed my brother making a bunch of carts. So I helped him and we made like 5. Then I decided to go exploring and I found not one, not two, but 3 iron veins very close together. When I got back my brother was churning out buckets and and he got the stanchion kits together very quickly. We decided to go together for the iron and both took carts since there were so many and got to work on the veins.

But, my brother said he'd go make baskets and never came back. I was very sad since he was still rather young ... perhaps all the boars got him. But now I had to bring back 4 carts of iron all alone. And I was getting old.

I didn't even bother to take the iron out of the baskets when I got to town. The veins were not close, it was about 5 biomes over, but I made the trip 3 times ... I didn't get the last load.

It was a very simple life but a good one in many ways. It's so nice when you find someone who is on the same wavelength about what needs to be done. I died unloading the last cart, the towns was swimming in iron and milkweed and carts when I died.

Thanks brother for making that life wonderful.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-06-20 16:22:21

MultiLife

Re: The story of the iron brothers.

Yay for teamwork!

In before a griefer appears to gloat over how they made zillion swords from the iron.
Sorry, I'll get my inner pessimist in check.

I had an iron brother once, too. We would check in and go to opposite directions, promising that we'd meet in five years to check which one found an iron vein and which would be closer. I got the short end of the stick; east was a terrible way to go. Almost died so many times. He went west and had found a vein almost immediately southwest. We reunited and got the mine done, then hauled iron together. After that he started a milkweed garden. I worked on my own stuff and came to his garden in my final years. I passed away waiting for him to return to his garden from his trip. Didn't see him come back.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-06-20 16:32:47

Sukallinen

I was a young female, old dude came to town just said "come fast dying", picked berry to carry me over if it were far and he led me to one of two veins (found second later nearby), he died just of old age when he was up from the vein, before I could even say he saved the town. Too bad I'm such a newbie, I'd have written "hero" to the grave (should've put a note stating such, but oh well).

So I went home, picked the (first) vein, borrowed a shovel and buried him there with headstone, left a single iron to both sides of him. Town had two or so iron before that, and even later had a chat in discord (chat-etc program) where some knew and wondered about that weird setup-someone buried north of mine having irons both side smile

#4 2019-06-20 16:49:07

ollj

iron is easy to get, the trickier part is to teach a dumb city to farm milkweed, and bring kindling.
i saw way too many abandoned cities, with tons of iron and steel, but no kindling and no axe anywhere to be found, they just burned it all and then died in the cold, with not enough axes, and null kindling, without a kitchen the hunger leads to murders and low birth rates, and then the campfire fizzles out.

the hell, they likely claimed that a person, who took an axe to make kindling, was a griefer to be murdered, i had such dumbasses a lot, too. to a poi9nt where it may just be an idiot who parrots a griefer, who used this as a false flag attack, just to grief, without being cursed, because dfumb people are easily fooled.

that lesson; of making kindling and farming milkweed, is best told NOT in text chat, but by luring four to eight bears into any city that failed to farm milkweed AND that lacks kindling and carts and roads/horses, but only has a wway too big berry farm full of idiots that just stack all the things, instead of processing all the things.

i killed many towns that where obviously full of newbies, where noone bothers to explore for milkweed.
it ends and prevents (!) suffering of babies that get born into a hopeless town.

the trick is to never lure single bears, but always groups of 2 to four bears at once.
you must not get seen luring a bear, but you surround a city with bears.

smart villages have enough rope, scouts and arrows to quickly respond to this woth very little life and time lost, so its basically hunting aid and not even griefing.
dumb villages just help me to lure all the bears to the campfire. ive seen it many times.

dumb cities must die.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-20 16:52:51)

#5 2019-06-20 16:51:29

Amon

I think I know that town cause I walked over all those three irons mines as a small girl before they got tapped.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#6 2019-06-20 17:07:32

MrsDuckGirl

Was that the Bossard familly ? If so, I turned a lot of your iron into steel, helped at the end of my life by a young boy. We were indeed so rich !
But... we were only boys, no girl left, familly is dead. Bye bye our work !

#7 2019-06-20 18:12:18

MultiLife

ollj wrote:

iron is easy to get, the trickier part is to teach a dumb city to farm milkweed, and bring kindling.
i saw way too many abandoned cities, with tons of iron and steel, but no kindling and no axe anywhere to be found, they just burned it all and then died in the cold, with not enough axes, and null kindling, without a kitchen the hunger leads to murders and low birth rates, and then the campfire fizzles out.

the hell, they likely claimed that a person, who took an axe to make kindling, was a griefer to be murdered, i had such dumbasses a lot, too. to a poi9nt where it may just be an idiot who parrots a griefer, who used this as a false flag attack, just to grief, without being cursed, because dfumb people are easily fooled.

that lesson; of making kindling and farming milkweed, is best told NOT in text chat, but by luring four to eight bears into any city that failed to farm milkweed AND that lacks kindling and carts and roads/horses, but only has a wway too big berry farm full of idiots that just stack all the things, instead of processing all the things.

i killed many towns that where obviously full of newbies, where noone bothers to explore for milkweed.
it ends and prevents (!) suffering of babies that get born into a hopeless town.

the trick is to never lure single bears, but always groups of 2 to four bears at once.
you must not get seen luring a bear, but you surround a city with bears.

smart villages have enough rope, scouts and arrows to quickly respond to this woth very little life and time lost, so its basically hunting aid and not even griefing.
dumb villages just help me to lure all the bears to the campfire. ive seen it many times.

dumb cities must die.

Dude, dumb cities die on their own, no need to pretend being a hero bringing it down faster. Let newbies noob, if they want to live there and screw up the place then so what, let them and move on yourself. Nobody who doesn't want to live there stay. They /die. Let noobs be. They can stay in their "dumb cities".

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-06-20 19:43:37

Sukallinen

ollj wrote:

iron is easy to get

BTW this olli dude is griefing gen 3-5 villages, stop reading his inane stuff. IK I just make him try to make himself important (he thinks he is, is the joke - explaining it to him, not others) by trying to grief more, and maybe he'll succeed in some instances. He has answers to everything etc etc you know the drill.

Edit: I didn't answer to couple of this kind of posts by him but meh, had to do since his rant has nothing to do with topic. So tell iron-gathering story or make your own *gasp* betterer post please. I already wrote one.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-20 19:45:13)

#9 2019-06-20 19:52:26

futurebird

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Was that the Bossard familly ? If so, I turned a lot of your iron into steel, helped at the end of my life by a young boy. We were indeed so rich !
But... we were only boys, no girl left, familly is dead. Bye bye our work !

Aw that's too bad. Perhaps someone will find the town before it vanishes. Nonetheless it was still a wonderful life.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#10 2019-06-20 20:48:50

Spoonwood

ollj has a point about kindling and rope.  Except I don't know why ollj emphasizes farming it, as getting it before a diesel water pump might work out as better.  However, s/he shoots him/herself in the foot by bragging about griefing and insisting s/he is helping people, when s/he is not helping people, but rather harming them.

I've often found on bs2 that I have trouble finding the nearby tarry spot.  So, many of my recent lives have involved getting flatties and/or pounding down a road to the tarry spot.  And unless a road already exists to one, or the tarry spot is in town, that's probably what I do for the foreseeable future in villages where I can make or get a cart quickly enough.

It's good that you're getting that iron futurebird, as it's needed also.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-20 20:49:43)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-06-21 19:27:05

ollj

yes, people steal steel, make locks from it, and just hide many war swords in one spot, to go there on foot as eve, ro rape and pillagge.

its how some play this game.

#12 2019-06-21 22:43:07

Sukallinen

http://prntscr.com/o52giv <- (half picked not shown) yup, after enough water it's ez to build some milkweed. People should pick most of it out of seeding phase though-this is second this-sized batch so town had enough buckets after I made some (people STILL borrowed bucket of water from every location, I guess griefers). I mean, I made about eight buckets and town already had five-town not much larger than three times this image. Anyhow, if not hexagon-shaped I like this kind of pattern to ease rope-making.

Before diesel it's bit tougher if you don't get yourself a cart, axe clear pond-area and bring idk, maybe two buckets of water and two baskets of clay per run. And after first run I usually have that eight long straight and eight curved run with basic cart (about 12 kindling-after all some fences and carts use long straight ones), fast enough even without horse. Just biome-lock horse nearby, I still claim iron is hardest to come by that time (in quantities to make upgrades to diesel-based economy). I admit I don't count, it's just a hunch.

People use so much time and energy "hiding" their 4x4 milkweed-farm (also not returning tools from where they took'em) when they could boost town by making it near middle of town where there'll be enough for most purposes. Maybe just first batch in wild, fertile soil pit and pondwater. It's still town, not family, idk how to change it (if it is viable to change). I mean, I used up three or four hoes for this, and someone brought two (w/o shafts) when they saw some bowls full of milkweed. This time only one local kid watered though.

Maybe he steals steel and makes locks etc, I've not found reason to do it. Usually someone's in smithy anyhow so stealing is kind of hard.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-21 22:44:06)

Board footer