One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-18 12:35:58

futurebird

Worried about "wasting" lives anyone else?

Since the life token change the way I play the game has changed. I'm playing a bit less: mostly because I'm worried about "wasting" a life. I have a ton of lives, since Jason increased the base number I have more, but it's that "gamer hoarding" instinct.

I don't want the number to go down. It bothers me. No this isn't totally rational.

But, now and then I've had a mom who left me to starve since the change and it made me feel like "man I gotta hoard these lives, what if this happens a few times in a row and I can't play!"

So, my love of the game and desire to be able to play when I want is making me play less.

I've also been living to 60 every time I can unless something or someone kills me. So, going in to a game is a big deal.

I haven't used "/die" ONCE since the change it just seems so expensive now.

These are all the intended effects of the change. I'm wondering if others feel the same way. If you are just as invested in the game but playing a bit less, being more ... careful. Etc.

How has the change impacted your gameplay?

THOUGHT: What if you could earn lives by having kids who live to 60?  I kind of feel like there should be some in-game way to earn lives. They pile up if you play or if you don't so the way to maximize your number of lives is to just not play. Save them up. Hoard them... because... IDK.

Maybe you would earn two lives for each hour of play with some sort of cap. I just feel like the new system is doing good things, but it's also making not playing seem like it's the "right" thing to do... even though I'd rather just play more spontaneously.

Some of my best lives were ones where I started playing thinking "eh IDK if I even want to play that much..." then crazy things happened and it was so much fun. hmmmm

Last edited by futurebird (2019-06-18 12:40:20)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-06-18 14:10:51

Joseph Stalin

Re: Worried about "wasting" lives anyone else?

eh it is so many its not a problem, even 12 that regen was a lot, I only play like 5 lives a day at the absolute most

#3 2019-06-18 14:33:59

Saolin

I could see myself feeling the same way... The thing is just thinking about the math, there's pretty much no way I could run out of lives, even when it was still 12. So I just don't worry about it and it doesn't effect my game.

#4 2019-06-18 14:40:23

sigmen4020

I haven’t really changed how I play. Even before the update I strived to live till 60 pretty much every life, so I’ve mostly just not started a life unless I knew I had at least an hour to spare.

On top of that I don’t play the game that much atm. My playtime right now probably averages out to about 1-2 lives a day. I’ve even used /die a couple of times after the change, despite not usually using it that often.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2019-06-18 14:41:20)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#5 2019-06-18 14:47:10

Tarr
Banned

I really wouldn't worry about wasting lives. Last time I played I burned through five life tokens before deciding to stay in a place. This was before he even upped the limit which means I could play two super specific lives and have about four tokens banked (earning one each hour) without worrying too hard if I would run out. Unless you are super unlucky or super picky your life count isn't going to matter too much and as such you can pretty much throw away any life that isn't to your liking. Plus, should you really be playing this game 3+ hours a day in the first place?

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-06-18 15:29:21

Amon

You already earn a life each hour passed. So unless you are intentionally wasteful you'll be above the water.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-06-18 18:02:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I agree that it's not a problem in practice, but the psychology is still real.

The point about "the best way to get the most lives is not to play" is true, and I'd never thought about it in exactly that way before.  That's certainly backwards.

Should at least make it so you earn lives specifically for every hour played or something.... I'll have to think about that.  Anyway, it should somehow be that playing the game is the best way to get a high life total.

Future, you may not have thought about it this way, but NOT playing for too long actually wastes lives.

If you don't play for two days, for example, your lives will hit the cap (18) and then additional lives earned above 18 will vanish.

I was actually a bit worried about the effects of this on people (that it would encourage compulsive playing, because you were burning earned lives whenever you weren't playing).

I am hesitant to have the lives earned be tied to certain ways of playing, though.  The time-based system is agnostic to the decisions you make in each life.

#8 2019-06-18 18:08:13

kategriss
Website

I'm not worried about wasting lives at all. Even when they were only 12 lives, I'll still /die 2-3 times before playing a life (as opposed to more that 5 times before this change).
I'll say I play 3-4 times per 24 hours period so I have plenty of time to have my lives replenished smile

#9 2019-06-18 18:10:35

Sukallinen

Also, if there is statistics about how long people live, I suggest don't count those non-moving. I've been born several times to people in coma (some woman parked herself to berryfield's edge) so I'd strongly suggest not to give bonus for "playing".

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-18 18:12:22)

Board footer