One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-12 22:38:54

Valareos

Village Design

So, I am toying around with making a village design if I ever become eve, and one of the things Id love to see develop is people having specific jobs, and those people have specific work areas (no more stealing bowls from the kitchen to take to the forge because farmers took all the forge bowls to water crops because the farmer's bowls were taken for god knows what purpose)

The thought came to me that if I was going to name specific jobs and roles, the following is what I'd have

Farmer: Grows crops, harvests whats needed and puts into boxes for Cook
Cook: Makes food in the kitchen, stores food in the Hearth for public use
Hearth-Keeper: Stays in hearth, keeps fire going, uses sterile pads on people when needed, makes new pads
Stockman: Maintains the animals, makes soil
Woodworker: Makes wooden items for the village, including wheelbarrows and carts, maintains and replants the tree stock used by the village
Ruler: Responsible for assigning jobs to younger generation, ensures all jobs are filled (those working those jobs responsible for teaching)
Smith: Makes all metal working used by Adobe Kiln
Engineer: Makes all items using Newcomb Machines
Mechanic: Makes Rubber products(primary), Cars and Airplanes
Electrician: Makes any electronic devices and maintains radio room
Stoneworker: Builds stone walls and roads, upgrades wells and builds oil pumps

Can you think of anything in the game that is not covered in those roles above?

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#2 2019-06-12 23:37:30

Sukallinen

Re: Village Design

Valareos wrote:

You think people will do/know how to do assigned jobs ? No. I suggest asking what kid is going to do, if rabbiting and there's one good one then tell there's one, dropzone is west of nursery (hearth) and we'll need job X, want it or another ?

You are eve you may have time for above and tell kids what's where. Which way to which large biome. Meanwhile building stuff, hitting trees or such. Grab food from bakery to nursery, basket or two. When kids leaving ask which way they're going to go, so many don't go same direction. Newbies should stay closer to camp (especially girls), bit older then bp's.

Farmer-make composts, grow crops. Get a basket of food for himself, himself. Because he shouldn't go check where is food, best starting towns I've seen is farmer comes to bakery with one bowl of wheat (if enough of those) and tells there's five more, no need to wait if baker needs'em. Farmer grabs a basket of pies and goes about his job.

Your engineer could do bit scouting, go build another one or two springs and find out milkweed for buckets and emergency-water duckpond-swarm.

Kids should do compost/bring a berrybowl to bakery every now and maybe take a picking of rare pies (well baker has also extra time) to bring to women. Kids venturing far on low food pips is waste of resources. They can also bring foodbasket for nursery. And bowl of berries for when eve gets old there's no panic.

Cook has time, so should go pick up meat from designated rabbit-skinning area, maybe skin if needed. Rabbit-hunting is all day job, so there will be baskets full of unskinned rabbits. Maybe cook drop by pen saying next batch is due soon, please bring all mutton (if sheeps) taking a basket of mutton with him. Are you usually cook ? Because once pies are almost ready, cooking takes just one warm oven for a generation or two of people. If slow clicking then cook can go ask someone in nursery to come help cook a batch.

Roads are so slow to build, so waste or resources early on. Build every 5th or so tile and use any "rubbish" to lead to closest (whatever resource).

Also, say to kids: always return tools where you picked them up. IK it takes time, but saves many others time. Make 3-5 composts, bring bucket to water'em (both, say, nw and sw of berryfarm/pen). Then poo them.

Just some hints, take'em or don't but half your post you talk about developed town and some about eve-camp, bit confused here.

#3 2019-06-13 00:21:01

pein

you need lot more gathering, generally clay, wild wheat, straight shafts, iron, limestone
three planting
don't forget the 15 bakers, the 8 housewifes, the griefers, berry munchers and rp noobs

to help specifications, maybe you could set up fences all around or near the main camp, with no gates
to allow them to take it over
for example
zVxXrwr.jpg
looks small but is huge ingame
and still small spaces to work, but you get the point
the cistern allows water distribution, public fill, private uses
i guess a road in middle would be better also the berry on sides so people can talk over fence, and harder to block it
springy doors allow exit room without messing with the gates, also close behind you so no one can enter
you enter room on gate/locked door
locked chest allows to store items gathered without entering, then close the chest on it, open from inside, they key can be inside the fence in a container (not sure if they see the letter)

im honestly bored of the berry farms
what people do is dumb roads from the spring in 4 directions and blocks of berry
now if you want to connect springs it wil be offset a tile, why cant just put that berry farm soomewhere else
how much you use a bowl on a well? 30 max? then you need to take bucket
so no point on surrounding springs
you can just as well start a farm one side of it, leave one space for the road between springs
you design a town for after you got a bucket at least no?

fences would allow some creative uses
each person a room: then no one would be jelous
each family a room: less work but similar
each female would need a husband, maybe people would keep the rp, working together like males gather, females cook and raise kids

this could work if there is some sort of organization
rabbit hunters and pie makers

farmers ( i think only berry carrot wheat and stew is worth it so you get less clutter) people do all types of stuff but if each farm is other "room" maybe they keep more organized)

with some tree planting boards would be viable long term

the other might be some enforced roles, like each person would live in a connected fence and can allow people one way out, so each room has a task, each person has it's room
a big startign room is for fertile females, males and old woman can go further out a step a time
each time somebody close to death lets a person a room outside
a corridor with some one way doors/locked doors to fix the system if someone dies early
now lot of people would suicide or just quit , or grief, or curse
but maybe with some proper papers describing the jobs, could be viable for a few gen, like lock up a daughter to pick berries in bowl and fix bushes
once a smaller kid comes they swap places
you go one outside and set up another room
secodn room is a pen where the girl can make compost and hand over soil trough a box
she has to feed sheep and stack meat for you, next up the oven, makign pies
there is no next
maybe a milkweed farmer
but all this sounds like prisons big_smile
you could technically make newcommen entrances (one newcommen south side so a kid can only go upward, entrapping him/herself
but there is only so much you can do in a room
maybe cut a few boards? cook eggs? not much to do like this

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-06-13 00:37:49

Sukallinen

Shouldn't the Eve have a throne and some gold ingots near the center ? That'd give the incentive for others to do her bidding and not wander around. But the basic drawing seems viable, thought expansion should need a bit more thinking.

I'd prefer two rows of berries, so if people don't want to meet they don't have to, they can walk on different lanes.

#5 2019-06-13 00:48:42

Valareos

Sukallinen wrote:

Just some hints, take'em or don't but half your post you talk about developed town and some about eve-camp, bit confused here.

Basically, I was thinking about village design, and then I thought about, given optimum conditions and a theoretical situation, what jobs are there really to do?

So, question becomes that, in an optimal situation, are there any tasks that would be missing out of that list

#6 2019-06-13 00:49:48

Valareos

Ok, someone explain to me why people don't bother to straighten out those side fences? THat set up seriously screws up my OCD

#7 2019-06-13 07:25:00

CatX

Valareos wrote:

Ok, someone explain to me why people don't bother to straighten out those side fences? THat set up seriously screws up my OCD

Because this way, when you see a fence, you always know which direction is north-south and which is east-west. Less chance of our beloved villagers getting lost. wink (j/k)

#8 2019-06-13 07:41:59

Valareos

CatX wrote:

Because this way, when you see a fence, you always know which direction is north-south and which is east-west. Less chance of our beloved villagers getting lost. wink (j/k)

You were about to get a roll until I read the J/k part so you now get a lol big_smile

#9 2019-06-13 09:27:41

CatX

Valareos wrote:

You were about to get a roll until I read the J/k part so you now get a lol big_smile

Irony and the Internet is not a match made in heaven lol

#10 2019-06-13 09:44:24

Valareos

The beginning of my personal project. I am building Drecanis Castle (well the stone work for it) I expect it will take me several lives and some good luck

Av5Lkzn.png

#11 2019-06-13 15:00:45

pein

Valareos wrote:

you only have OCD if you call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order

it's not ingame picture, it's a picture editor
i think i got the sprites just this way is faster to draw
cant even do much in 5x5 places

gotta try to do some sort of fenced living area, maybe i do a cistern and 5 boards all around then the fence 1 away then the berry only after i got the fences set at least inside
9AI1BMT.jpg

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#12 2019-06-13 15:07:49

MrsDuckGirl

@Valareos : You can make nice castle crenels alternating high and small bell tower bases, for front and back walls. It takes some lives and some chisels, but the result is worth it !

Board footer