One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-08 07:54:08

Saolin

Is optimal male strategy griefing?

So the only measure of success in this game is lineage length.  If you are born a male you are not able to accomplish this goal at all; your lineage ends with you.  Since you will be born female an equal amount of the time, doesn't it make the most sense when born as a male to sabotage the lineage as much as possible if it's not shared by a previous female life?  In order to maximize your relative level of success, and avoid competing with your old lineage?

Last edited by Saolin (2019-06-08 07:56:55)

#2 2019-06-08 08:02:55

Valareos

Re: Is optimal male strategy griefing?

I had my lineage last 36 generations after me, every member of the family alive then was descended from me.

My Mother was AFK, and I only lived because a Male made sure I stayed fed.

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#3 2019-06-08 08:09:05

Valareos

Same family, different mother took me into jungle, forced me to get jungle fever then abandoned me to starve.

The Miu family is certainly making me want to go on a killing spree on them, but I wont lol

#4 2019-06-08 08:20:50

Saolin

Valareos wrote:

I had my lineage last 36 generations after me, every member of the family alive then was descended from me.

My Mother was AFK, and I only lived because a Male made sure I stayed fed.

Yes, but the male has nothing to show for that.  Their life-log would be the same if they went on a killing-spree and murdered 6 people in cold blood.  In addtion, if they lived their previous life as a female, it is quite possible they'd come into conflict with their current family, which could potentially end the lineage of their female life.  They have nothing to gain by being altruistic, and can only possibly lose.

Last edited by Saolin (2019-06-08 08:27:29)

#5 2019-06-08 08:24:52

Valareos

Someone in Miu family is griefing. This time I was a female, and they took me and started to run me away from home lol

#6 2019-06-08 10:13:34

MultiLife

Hm. Before the family trees, there was no way to use lineage length as a measure for success. So it hasn't actually been the reference of success at first.
I guess it is now, as even Jason talked about how there hasn't been a natural version of Boots case at all.

I find it concerning that the people who want to Eve get such a strong feeling of ownership of the family and feel that they are part of the success that tree has. Although there is honestly no thanking an Eve of 100 gen tree as she only made up for the first hour of it. But sure, it's still a group effort and Eves tend to care for their family the most in this game.

I still think about that one person who was griefing a family and hoping their people would spawn into this ex-Eve's ongoing lineage where they themselves were banned from (lineage ban). It was so wicked; the people the ex-Eve would grief would be "some other Eve's offspring" but the moment they are in her family tree they become useful and valuable to her. Like the ex-Eve would treat them like crap and slice and dice around to get them to spawn in the family she established, to "work for her tree" without them knowing.

I wish people could branch off with new surnames. Although I don't think that's enough for the Eve enthusiasts.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-08 10:15:23)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#7 2019-06-08 10:47:13

ProNice

I think that branching off with your own surname should be possible. It's how new lineages are happening in real life.
Important: The new lineage effectively starts with the first babies born to the defector/renegade mother.
(This includes being vulnerable to war swords and being able to use war swords against the former lineage of their mother; Gradually losing speech-compatibility with the language of the old lineage, etc. etc.)

#8 2019-06-08 11:07:21

CatX

The way I see it, the nuclear family in this game is not mother, father and child, but mother, mother's brother and child. My sister's lineage is my lineage in my eyes.

#9 2019-06-08 15:10:38

Spoonwood

Well, the game is one of parenting and civilization building:

jasonrohrer wrote:

a multiplayer survival game of parenting
and civilization building.

http://onehouronelife.com/

I mean, your lineage living has priority as a game concept I think, but civilization building is another game concept.  One might note that Jason has made a few updates, because he's felt that people haven't been building enough (temperature overhaul intended to get people to build more buildings... he wanted more city walls, loads of technological updates that didn't do much for lineage length at the time).  Going on killing rampages is likely to discourage the multiplayer aspect of the game.  So, it would make sense if men focused on civilization building in the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-06-13 07:44:07

redbird

CatX wrote:

The way I see it, the nuclear family in this game is not mother, father and child, but mother, mother's brother and child. My sister's lineage is my lineage in my eyes.

That’s basically how it works in some real life matrilineal societies too.

Last edited by redbird (2019-06-13 07:46:45)

Board footer