One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-06-05 15:20:52

futurebird

Re: Annoyances with One Hour One Life

CatX wrote:

A lot of time (years of our lives) is spent running around in search of the tool we know was there just a few years earlier. Did it break or did someone move it? If so, where? Am I going blind?

This is the main reason I use the zoom mod. I would be more OK with the tight view if it weren't such a pain to find tools.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#27 2019-06-11 07:26:20

CatX

Fences are nice, but as pein notes:

pein wrote:

the main reason i hate fences cause people do it too early and can kill a town not having tools
and they take every straight shaft from considerable distance
fences cost soemthing so i respect more than prop fences, but know the timing, after you plant mapples

Fences shouldn't be a high tech luxury.

#28 2019-06-11 16:31:29

Joseph Stalin

you can eat raw onions and tomatoes irl

#29 2019-06-11 17:46:27

kategriss
Website

Joseph Stalin wrote:

I'm totally for raw tomatoes. But raw onions... unless used in a recipe... I'm not eating that raw!

#30 2019-06-11 20:02:18

Starknight_One

kategriss wrote:
Joseph Stalin wrote:

I'm totally for raw tomatoes. But raw onions... unless used in a recipe... I'm not eating that raw!

Some people eat them like apples. Can't say I see the appeal, myself. But raw onion is good on sandwiches or in salads.

Tomatoes, on the other hand, are delicious straight from the vine. But they're better with some salt.

You can also eat raw peppers. If you have a cast iron stomach. smile

#31 2019-06-12 05:59:13

Lily

Reading that makes me think it would be nice if you could just follow people, like clicking on them without or something then you automatically follow them. Then could also use the same system to make tamed animals follow you.

Last edited by Lily (2019-06-12 05:59:45)

#32 2019-06-12 10:13:33

Alec

Same looking will confuse every one and disturb foodchain.
Example:
Pies.
Dress, cloak, skirt, shirt, and Undyed one.
Shorn Domestic Sheep, fed or not.
Seep well, what is exhausted or not.
Slashed Rubber Tree and Rubber Tree with Sealed Slash.

(Note: Other resemble things like Bowl of __, has no matter, even if no use zoom MOD.)

#33 2019-06-12 10:45:57

CatX

Problem: There are no real non-lethal ways to deal with griefers. Once you kill a griefer, you're vulnerable to being cursed, because field of view in the game (without mods) is too limited to ever reliably know what's going on and who to blame.

Pein said:

pein wrote:

no way to challenge others for a duel if you want to punish them in a controlled environment, also lot of people kill the innocent, save the griefer or curse you for killing a griefer

Alec writes:

Alec wrote:

Did you remember name of who is made engine, or farmed great big milkweed farm, or feed you when you were motherless baby?
Dead men tell no tales, but murder grave and grave with knife is tell lot of mislead.

With a non-lethal way to deal with the griefer, we could then get other villagers to help decide the fate of the griefer.

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-12 10:46:28)

#34 2019-06-12 11:58:46

CatX

Problem: Some of the characters look almost identical when they grow old, which means that if we're not careful our babies die! yikes

https://youtu.be/y3rPmkjUyxY (soundtrack)

Amon wrote:

With some mothers it's painfully hard to notice when one goes gray.
The freckled ginger and the blackhaired lasses being the most nutorious for this.

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-12 12:28:42)

#35 2019-06-12 12:28:31

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

There is no counter to Yellow Fever. If there isn't people around or a snow biome it's a death sentence. You can't control running into them sometimes! It's not fair.

They need to be nerfed or we need some way to prevent them. It's a toxic game mechanic at the moment and so frustrating. They're so hard to see too!

Maybe a bugnet clothing item you can wear, we can already make nets. It doesn't seem that far a leap in logic. Maybe vaccines against yellow fever that could be hard to make. Maybe just some bug spray we could put on that lasts a certain amount of time. I don't know but I am sooooo tired of dying to some bugs behind a tree.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#36 2019-06-13 18:09:12

CatX

#37 2019-06-14 21:29:26

CatX

We can't claim the name of the original Eve of our line. The oldest daughter of this Eve didn't get her mother's last name, neither did the hundred generations descending from her...

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4783134

#38 2019-06-14 21:57:54

Jojigirl

CatX wrote:

We can't claim the name of the original Eve of our line. The oldest daughter of this Eve didn't get her mother's last name, neither did the hundred generations descending from her...

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4783134

That is annoying, but it's Eve's fault for not naming herself before naming her first child.  There's a solution to it, it's just in the Eve's hands, lesson to all Eves, name yourself before your children..

Last edited by Jojigirl (2019-06-14 21:58:52)

#39 2019-06-15 08:52:00

arkajalka

Mosquitoes, everywhere, unkillable uncounterable super predator that punishesh you for being in advanced civ (clothes) REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#40 2019-06-22 09:38:47

CatX

This has come up: Repetitiveness  and lack of progression in cooking and farming

- Pies are the most important food in any stage of the town beyond starter towns, but they are made the same way throughout the town's life
- Berries and carrots are the most important produce, but they are tended the same way throughout the town's life (It's actually easiest in the beginning when all you need to get water is a bowl and a shallow well. Once you upgrade to buckets it becomes more tedious, not less.)

These, the central tasks of any civilization, make the game feel repetitive and lacking progress, even though we have machines, cars and planes...

teanah wrote:

Civilization seems pretty much stalled out at making mutton pies, and trying to find enough water to keep the berry bushes alive. It's just tedious. Sure cars and airplanes exist, but no one is going to build these things when the game is still so focused on dirt farming.

(I'm keeping this thread alive because I believe Jason linked to it from somewhere where he keeps track of things he might do something about)

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-22 09:40:35)

#41 2019-06-22 19:51:33

ollj

when i make roads, i start by making ten to fourty stakes, and place them in a line. its the proper order of operation.
i got murfered five times by now while doing that, and the murderer claimed i was griefing.

also, just taking the flat stone from the forge, even while they have no iron, and enough steel and flat stone within fifty tiles, to build a road nearby, gets the whole city wanting to murder you forever instantly. they are just so insecure about their forge crap, just parroting each other, never moving more than onehundred tiles away from the big berry farm.

transporting a lot of food out of a messy overflowing kithen to fireplaces and forges (a great thing to do while younger than 12), gets many newbies to confuse you for a thief.

this is just nuts.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-22 19:53:57)

#42 2019-06-22 19:56:12

ollj

futurebird wrote:
CatX wrote:

A lot of time (years of our lives) is spent running around in search of the tool we know was there just a few years earlier. Did it break or did someone move it? If so, where? Am I going blind?

This is the main reason I use the zoom mod. I would be more OK with the tight view if it weren't such a pain to find tools.

i keep telling people what tool just broke while i used it.
this usually gets me murdered just for breaking three axes, while making kindling, or the whole swamp-and-jungle-town a lot safer.

#43 2019-06-22 19:57:41

ollj

i love making roads and like how stakes are much better now.

#44 2019-06-22 20:08:14

ollj

Lily wrote:

Reading that makes me think it would be nice if you could just follow people, like clicking on them without or something then you automatically follow them. Then could also use the same system to make tamed animals follow you.

the trick to cooperations is to make a bond with players that are born near you (in space and time)
you are stuck at the same fireplace for three minutes together, might aswell form some kind of bond.
its as simple as repeating the first two (or four) letters of their name, wait till they say ANYTHING, and then you jsut repeat what they sayd, for the rest of your life.
its usually just two letters, and its a signature, of a bond, between 2 players, that lasts 50 minutes.
whenever you search your soulmate, just repet these two letters, its short text, barely annoying for anyone who has no clue what is going on.

or it lasts longer in one case, where i was born into the [bond] family, next to [james bond] and i just kept repeating "ja"
and [james bond] parroted men a lot, and made up the "had toggle gesture" as nonverbal play.
we ended up greeting each other with "ja" "ja" many times while passing by each other, and made a "remove hat often" gesture.

i took this a step further, a way too big step.
i dedicated my whole life to excessive paper making, i made like twenty papers, all my 60 minutes. and aftere 30 minutes, the first papers where ready.
so heres the joke, i greet him with "ja" twenty times, and i make 20 papers in the town center, and noone bothers me.
and then i greet [james bond] while making pencil and paper, and a backpack full of paper.
and i write four "ja" notes in a row.
then four more, then four more, and then four more.
almost all of the papers only read
"ja"
and [james boond] laughted at this bonding waste of paper

some later papers read
"jajajajajajaja", this was a goodbye letter, considdetr them "rare cards that beg for attention"
and some letters read
"ja ja", i made these in old age, in memory to [james bond]

so
if you ever wondered by the [bond] town has all these "ja" letters, thats the backstory. my old bond with james bond, that lasted fifty minutes.
i hope he has this as recorded stream somewhere.

---

in another life, the bonding phrase was "LA" and the gesture as whistling, so we were Roleplaying as "the singing couple"

---

bonding with someone your age has ingame advantages,
you likely end up with similar jum chains and hunger priorities.
you have roughly the same knowledge about the state of the town, and may end up in the same profession, coordinating and cooperating.

the two letter bond phrase makes it easy to find your soulmate.

Last edited by ollj (2019-06-22 20:16:54)

#45 2019-06-24 03:16:19

Sukallinen

ollj wrote:

Read all, and imo you're wrong in only one instance and that is taking flat stones. So, no tools and someone brings iron to town-you've robbed all nearby areas and town of flat ones. "Oh but they can go search more, in that place 400 tiles NW" - yeah. See ?

So I've answered to your post once, this is second time, and to as... hmm... useful idea. Are you sure YOU are not the problem instead of YOU being the solution ? Ok, you're the best player ever, ok. So, let us less able to have those four (4) stones, while you go pick those four (ONLY four) stones from the wilds. Because you, self-proclaimed griefer, are so superior being compared to anyone else, it's no bother to you but it IS a bother to us-why not use those flat stones you know where they are ?

I've built long roads, taking two lives for some longer ones, and when I get 50-80 flat stones I don't really need those four in town, ready in place, waiting for iron. You do ? (I know, you'll cut this to pieces and suddenly I am the bad guy here, for road 100 long will not be built for I want those four stones to stay there when someone comes with raw iron)

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-24 03:16:54)

#46 2019-06-24 05:44:52

Morti

ollj wrote:

when i make roads, i start by making ten to fourty stakes, and place them in a line. its the proper order of operation.
i got murfered five times by now while doing that, and the murderer claimed i was griefing.

I'm probably the person that has warned and/or killed you for this - I'm sorry, sometimes I just stab people if I get frustrated.

We're not in the game now though, so I can give you a reason that doesn't take a year of my life to explain.

As many people have pointed out, straight shafts are extremely valuable for a lot of reasons, but if you managed to find 10, let alone 40 (wtf, 40 stakes? That's a stabbin for sure!) then obviously people weren't too in need of them at the time.

I'm sure I've tried to teach you this before, but here is a much easier way of making flat rock roads.

FM5L1Oj.png

It only takes 1 stake, 1 stone, and then you get the flat rocks and lay them out.
The benefit of this is in the process of making the road itself, first you pick up the stone, you hammer the stakes, THEN, you swap the stone for the flat rock, lay the flat rock in the stakes, THEN, swap the stone with the stakes and carry on hammering the stakes in the same spot. It's very fast, it doesn't waste spaces like all the stakes do, and it doesn't waste branches, straight shafts and anything else that could have been made from the maple branches.

I just makes infinitely more sense to lead the road with a stake and stone and spend more of your time getting the flat rocks and less of it reducing one of the most useful resources in the game down to something so useless. Spend that time gathering flat rocks if you really want to make roads; that is the part that matters. Don't think because you do the easiest part deciding where you want a road to go, that you deserve a road there and can just do the easy work and nor the mundane task of running out, grabbing a flat rock, and bringing it back.

I've made thousands of roads out of dozens of flat rocks each, many times devoting entire lives to the roads.

It does, not, make, sense, to put so many stakes out. It's just bad for every economy involved, including the economy of space. Where do you think all those stakes are going to wind up? They are just more clutter when not in use, and they are even worse when staked and the road is not actively being worked on.

Please don't do that anymore.

And disregard the bear in the picture. I didn't have the heart to delete him.

#47 2019-06-24 06:14:02

testo

ollj wrote:

also, just taking the flat stone from the forge, even while they have no iron, and enough steel and flat stone within fifty tiles, to build a road nearby, gets the whole city wanting to murder you forever instantly. they are just so insecure about their forge crap, just parroting each other, never moving more than onehundred tiles away from the big berry farm.

transporting a lot of food out of a messy overflowing kithen to fireplaces and forges (a great thing to do while younger than 12), gets many newbies to confuse you for a thief.

this is just nuts.

I don´t know what you are up to, but what you are saying is borderline trolling.

It is a big deal if you take the flat stones set in the forge zone to make a road. This is not about iron or not, just don´t pick stuff other people has gathered for your own convenience (that includes stones to make eggs, paper, tortillas or graves). If you want to make those, start by finding your own stones. If I take my time to find those stones to forge and set them in that zone I would certanly kill you if you start taking them. Don´t take stuff you didn´t gather if it has a purpose. Just don´t. How would you feel if I go and break your road to take the stones back? What if I just decide I don´t like your road and pick your stones to make a different road? How would you feel?

It is also a big deal if you make ten to forty stakes. Certanly not the order of operation. You don´t really need more than one to the same effect. Maybe use three stakes if you are working with someone but using ten is actually griefing. I would certainly stab you over that too.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#48 2019-06-24 11:17:29

Tarr
Banned

testo wrote:
ollj wrote:

this is just nuts.

I don´t know what you are up to, but what you are saying is borderline trolling.

It is a big deal if you take the flat stones set in the forge zone to make a road. This is not about iron or not, just don´t pick stuff other people has gathered for your own convenience (that includes stones to make eggs, paper, tortillas or graves). If you want to make those, start by finding your own stones. If I take my time to find those stones to forge and set them in that zone I would certanly kill you if you start taking them. Don´t take stuff you didn´t gather if it has a purpose. Just don´t. How would you feel if I go and break your road to take the stones back? What if I just decide I don´t like your road and pick your stones to make a different road? How would you feel?

It is also a big deal if you make ten to forty stakes. Certanly not the order of operation. You don´t really need more than one to the same effect. Maybe use three stakes if you are working with someone but using ten is actually griefing. I would certainly stab you over that too.

They're a troll. Just look at their post history and ignore bait posts like this in the future.

fug it’s Tarr.

#49 2019-06-24 12:44:15

CatX

#50 2019-06-24 12:57:54

Sukallinen

Tarr wrote:

They're a troll. Just look at their post history and ignore bait posts like this in the future.

Seconded, though there are some points. I did not stab someone who took one of FIVE flats bit north to make both eggs and tortillas(or w/e those are called). I walked there, noticed them doing it (3 persons) and just said "return stone when done" and girl said "of course". If I were doing something in the forge, and had less than five rocks I might have acted differently. This time I just spent half year watching and they were efficient so I left.

Board footer