One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-04 19:27:15

Twisted

Annoyances with One Hour One Life

Prompted by Jason's recent feedback post, I decided to make a list of some things that are either slightly annoying, awkward or that just plain don't feel good to me, but without proposing any solutions.

If you're talking or interacting with someone in town, if either of you move or walk around it's very easy to lose track of them and mistake someone else for them.

If you head out of town with someone it's very easy to lose them.

Crafting a lot of clay/steel items at a kiln/forge can feel a bit awkward if you're mass producing stuff in a big town. Clay especially, steel less so.

Rope is needed for a lot of things, and crafting it en masse takes a lot of room.

Sometimes I want to move animals to a different pen, but the only way to do that is to make a baby and kill the original animal.

If you go bow hunting without a cart, you can't bring both the prey and the bow back - you need to leave the bow behind and then come back for it.

Crafting a large amount of boards for a project takes a very long time and a lot of room.

Roads are very important but they are not very fun to make.

Making anything with stakes is a bit awkward since the stakes hitbox moves every time they change shape.

Sometimes it's hard to see if the oven is hot or empty.

It always felt weird to me that we get so few logs/firewood from chopping down trees. One log per tree feels especially weird.

Firewood is important for a town but we can only transfer a small amount of it at a time.

Some walls are very simple to make if you have the raw materials which feels simplified, while others are very difficult which feels more realistic.

I don't think I've seen a single Kerosene Newcomen since the update.

I love the look of blue/red plaster walls but you're very unlikely to find enough paint in one life to paint more than a few.

Sometimes you want to move the smithy, but you can't because you can't move the newcomen.

If you build a floor around a oven/kiln you have to destroy it first so you can build the floor below it.

OHOL is supposed to be a game about parenting, but most of the time you don't have to interact with your kids at all. Just feed them for a bit and set them free at the age of three.

#2 2019-06-04 19:43:10

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Annoyances with One Hour One Life

Perfect!  Thank you, Twisted.

#3 2019-06-04 20:28:13

futurebird

I agree with most of these I'll list the ones that I identify with most:

Sometimes you want to move the smithy, but you can't because you can't move the newcomen.
Roads are very important but they are not very fun to make.
Making anything with stakes is a bit awkward since the stakes hitbox moves every time they change shape.
If you head out of town with someone it's very easy to lose them.
Crafting a lot of clay/steel items at a kiln/forge can feel a bit awkward if you're mass producing stuff in a big town. Clay especially, steel less so.
Firewood is important for a town but we can only transfer a small amount of it at a time.
Some walls are very simple to make if you have the raw materials which feels simplified, while others are very difficult which feels more realistic.
I love the look of blue/red plaster walls but you're very unlikely to find enough paint in one life to paint more than a few.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-06-04 20:55:23

Tarr
Banned

The only nonlethal defensive/offensive weapon in game both melts after a minute and inflicts cold temperature on the user.

It's easier to fill bowls with nonsense than it is to clear them out which results in nearly unusable bowls.

By the time you can attempt to produce an idea of how a town should look the town is pretty much cemented in stone.

It costs too much to fix mistakes with town design whether it's in resources (pickax to a bust a single wall), time (removing berry bushes), or both.

Food exists in one of three states: Eat it all the time if possible (Pies, bread, milk); eat it if you got it (most foods fall in this category); and don't even make it (salsa, ketchup, potatoes before the buff, both taco types).

Food in general has bad effort to reward ratios with a prime example being an egg vs arctic char. Both give the same amount of pips but one takes much more effort than the other.

Technology in game never seems to truly be an improvement on aspects of the game except when it comes to water tech.

No solid or useful system in place to deal with players acting outside the social norms of the game.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-06-04 21:02:05

futurebird

"It's easier to fill bowls with nonsense than it is to clear them out which results in nearly unusable bowls."

"No solid or useful system in place to deal with players acting outside the social norms of the game."

And, the church said "Amen!"

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-06-04 21:06:27

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Tarr wrote:

No solid or useful system in place to deal with players acting outside the social norms of the game.

Are you talking about not being able to curse people from other families?

Or just cursing not being good enough in general?

#7 2019-06-04 21:06:47

futurebird

Towns do not feel distinctive enough so when you come to a new town it feels like the same place. It's not like going to a foreign land where the clothing is different and the food is different (the language is different which is nice and helps)--

There aren't ways to store the laws and information that people put in notes that make them useful for the future. You don't even know who wrote it or when. Written notes acts as clutter. But they are valuable some of the time.

It's impossible to tell just how old a building is, or who made it. So you can come in to a town and think your family built it but really someone else did.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-06-04 21:07:40)

---
omnem cibum costis

#8 2019-06-04 21:16:01

Tarr
Banned

jasonrohrer wrote:
Tarr wrote:

Relation to my own family. I don't mind not being able to curse outside my line because I can just kill them if they're really bothering me.

The curse system is both bad in regards to anytime you have multiples (twins+) and anytime you're too young to use it. I've had to watch my own mothers killer go multiple times without getting cursed because I couldn't reach an age to use my token thus rendering the idea of having a token sort of moot.*

So it falls under cursing in general is not good enough.

*Generally what happens is the killer is killed on cooldown which leads to the inability to curse as children can't spell curse until age 5, can't spell out curse Bobby until age 10, and can't spell out curse Bobby Butts until age 15. This doesn't include issues with any of the super long names, issues where people have roman numerals in their names which leads to confusion (do we curse Jim or Jim II?), or issues with hard to spell names.

Also, I'd like to point out you don't know if someone has an already used name until you've already named your child unless you've paid attention to 15+ people in a village (and checked all the skeletons laying around.)

Last edited by Tarr (2019-06-04 21:48:23)

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-06-04 21:16:15

MultiLife

Heavily agree on logs, oven not looking hot when it is hot, foods not being worth the time and effort and losing people when moving around together. Also no time for bonding with others.

My list:

It's really confusing how mutton can be prepared in different ways but almost identical pork cannot.
That said, I never see pigs in game.

Domestic moufflon, boar and bison have to be shot with a bow for some reason, while domestic animals can be knifed to death.

Cows, dogs, wolves, bisons and horses have no skeletons.

(To be effective in farming) separating soil with a bowl is bizarre. I do not understand why it should be so that two bowlful of soil is the best way to use soil in-game.

Having to use exactly six mashed berries and carrot for compost is bizarre.

Only sheep produce dung for some reason.

Water buckets, bowls and well interactions are difficult to grasp as a new player.

Bucket of saltwater looks identical to freshwater bucket.

People can use pond water in cooking with no health consequences.

Corpses and remains do not cause any health issues if left to sit in the middle of living spaces.

There is no way telling if a rose seed is now producing red or white roses. The time requirement is also bizarre, and I expected to get red/white roses via farming them long enough for mutations to happen.

I feel claustrophobic with the field of view I have in game.

I get dizzy with the field of view I have in game.

Talking feels really expensive in game because I am constantly on a timer as food goes down.

Talking feels cumbersome as the person you are trying to talk to doesn't know you are typing to them. They may move out of your view before your speech bubble appears.

Speech bubbles get replaced too fast if the other person is a fast typer, or writes one word after a long sentence so you don't manage to read the long sentence as it gets replaced by the last word they just spoke.

Talking is cumbersome as you reach the maximum character amount so late in game. It's hard to tell exact locations of resources or tools during your active years as you are still heavily limited in speech. You can't explain things or give out tasks in one speech bubble so it's hard to have apprentices unless you are nearing sixties.

There is little to no benefit gameplay-wise when bonding with others.

It is odd how there are no fathers in families.

It is odd, bland and boring how everyone looks certain way. People don't look unique or interesting. In addition to that, I can't customize my looks to force myself to be unique.

It's odd how there are no huts or cheap shelter options.

It's odd how a community lives like they are on a farm field.

It's odd how everything is set on the ground, like edible things.

It's odd how the character uses only one hand, while you should be able to carry two tools or food in one and tool in the other, etc.

It's odd how there is only one way to ignite fire.

It's odd how there is only one kind of fire pit; the bonfire.

It's odd how we still have adobe kilns, ovens and clay items at generation 100.

It's odd that we can find hundreds of years old animal corpses and eat from them. Same for pies that have sat under the vast skies for centuries.

It's odd how we can't craft traps for predator and prey animals (except rabbits).

It's odd that we cannot destroy a rabbit hole.

It's odd how we can't shoot rabbits with a bow.

It's odd how animals don't repopulate around civilization and just go extinct.

It's odd how bears only appear if a human goes to them. Irl bears occasionally raid human settlements as trashed food attracts them.

It's hard to make a trail to a natural resource you found. I try to use stacked stones but it takes ridiculous amounts of time and effort.

You must spell out a number in game which makes chatting about distances cumbersome.

It's odd how one can avoid bans by starving before the age of 30.

Cursing is odd. And the requirements for it to work. The result it has is required for now, however.

I do not understand why a sword wouldn't hurt anyone who I am trying to hurt. I do not understand why my character wouldn't slash his brother if I wanted to.

Same with property fence. If I decide not to respect the boundaries, my character thinks differently and that annoys me, as I am supposed to be making decisions here.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-05 05:04:27)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#10 2019-06-04 21:40:53

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:
Tarr wrote:

People have mentioned racist babies and griefer babies (can't say I recall the first as one of my children, but did see it happen with one of my grandchildren on stream once as I recall, and the latter I don't spot so early usually).  Cursing is a penalization that has a distant sort of effect happening at the end of one's life and only works if other players also join in.  Parents in the real wold have many more means to discipline their children.  The time-out section, or spanking both have an immediate effect on a child.  So does hugging or a kiss on the cheek.  How do parents penalize bad children or encourage good children in the game who expect physical means of discipline?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-06-04 22:10:51

MultiLife

Addition to the list:

It's boring that we cannot have different towns and playstyles. They are all the same mix of this and that. Building materials, colors, resources and products vary a lot in real life and make living in one place very different than living in another.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-04 22:12:09)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#12 2019-06-04 23:01:07

pein

my list:

people are lazy and the game doesn't motivate them to do anything, there is no non lethal punishment or reward to change it and part of this why trading wont happen, stealign food or clothes is easier than making it, and there is no way to retrive stolen goods or prove that it's yours

young people are disgraceful and no way to punish them for it without killing them or motivate them

no ownership of items, which are hard to make from scratch: carts, horse carts, cars, planes, no way to lock them down without spending too much time on fences and it's an annoying fact that young people steal highest value items at a stage where is hard to make them

no springy gates, so no way to make a sure deffence with gates

communicating is too complicated so leading people is impossible, and even if i would talk to every baby they wouldn't care or understand so no laws can be put in place or no one follows it or takes too much time

no group based ownership like families or way to reverse an ovnership

the combat with 1 hp is more like a backstabing than a combat, cause the element of surprise and all the advantage for attackers means no chance of defence, the griefers dance could be used against griefers

the shift click gives anyone magic aiming which is unfair cause neglects any kind of skill in duels
it's not fun to be killed while moving
it's not balanced to be killed by anyone anytime
i need a warning and a chance to run
i understand if someone stabs others with a sword , then cant go out fast of city and multiple people can stop it but one on ones should be fair both sides until someone kills the other person
if two people hold a weapon then the chances are fair and no need to have long murder cooldown
if i know my skills and taunt others they could take as a warning or a bluff, but right now any kidn of death threat needs to be taken serious as you got no time to react against someone with a weapon

people look too similar and this causes innocents get murdered

curses are used by people who cant even provide food for themselves and by definition they are leaches to society
no backdraw on cursign others

eve names and kid names can be duplicate which confuses people

too much focus on resource gathering and not many people who are able or willing to gather

to little worth of work and processign materials and they don't make significant enough difference so they are not a good solution, just a part of solution which others might not understand, also makes work tedious not hard
making a pen or a room is possible but takes a long time where no time left to talk with people and half project are unsatisfiing and never get finished
gathering materials like stone, adobe or flat rocks is tedious, the actual work like a pen or a road or building are hard to complete so people rarely do it

no low level of signaling between people so hard to trravel in the wild or find others if they want to, some short ranged signalign sistem like smoke or similar so make the moving/nomad life easier, or track one single person at least

no way to use up raw materials for food results in piles of garbage

no way to use up multiple cows, pig meat in a fast way so results in garbage

no way to move badly placed structures like newcommens and no way to melt back elements which you don't need like several steel rods

not enough uses for drill bit to justify making it, well loom can be good but afterwards is just an item you never really need

buildings are very hard compared to food producing

people arent too useful cause most task are easier to make yourself than ask others to do it, no way to track their progress or oficcially task them , reward them

no alliances and groups, each family is as week as their dumebst 8 year old kid with a knife so anyone can start a war in name of a family and elders get punished for it

no way to challenge others for a duel if you want to punish them in a controlled environment, also lot of people kill the innocent, save the griefer or curse you for killing a griefer

entry level clothign and storage is hard to make which causes inequality and jelousy
no limitation on what you can scavenge form dead people or what you can give to a baby, causing skipping over generation of teenage workers in favor of lucky newborns which is annoying, same as first point, no way of lending clothes for a specific person to use, so people use stolen/scavenged clothes to buy others love and don't respect someones will to pass on the oens who deserve it, man at least the ability and will to pick up clothes

certain behaviors are encouraged by game mechanics like framing others on committing something and no way to appeal against curses received without a good reason so roleplayers spam curses on wrong person, on tiny acts and others follow with no thinking and lot of people make groups who don't work just search for trouble and call it justice

no decoration items or fodo storage like granaries, barrels, tables

no higher levels of things which makes the game repetitive and doesn't feel like an accomplisment to work with them, or to advance in tech

im sure i oculd think of a few more big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#13 2019-06-04 23:14:15

JonySky
Website

Here is my little contribution

duplicating a key to open a lock is extremely complex but the process to create a first lock is very easy

The community is creating many cults and religions, but we have no object or mechanics for this

cities are the same everywhere, there is nothing that differentiates them

we have airplanes but we continue to forge in an adobe oven

Onions and tomatoes can be eaten directly from the plant

we have diesel pumps but we do not have a system of channels for water or an automatic irrigation system ... or a hose!

we just buried our loved ones, we just throw the bones where they do not bother

personalization of the characters with unique items (necklaces, flower crowns, bracelets, facial or body paintings ...)

the sheets of paper use a lot of space and are only used to write a sentence, we need books!

Water should not be unique to a biome

The houses do not have much use, they should be more essential

It is strange that salt is not used for more types of food (french fries, for example)

I can not tie the horse to a tree

I can not put my baby in a car to take him home

newborns need clothes to survive, but in OHOL you can go nude all your life without any consequence

It is strange to think that the simplest task, like talking or looking for an article in the chaos of the city, in the game, means several years of the character's life

Last edited by JonySky (2019-06-05 23:53:06)

#14 2019-06-05 00:46:37

CatX

My main contributions:

The games gets repetitive quickly. It doesn't matter if you're in an early camp or in an advanced city. You still have to pick berries one by one for the endless berry/carrot bowls needed. Milkweed farming gets very repetitive as well.

I feel more connected with my baby when I'm able to bring it with me while I work, rather than the options. But bringing a baby along is cumbersome, especially if I don't have a backpack, or if I get more babies while away from the fire.

(Oh and bear skins don't seem to keep babies warm for some reason. I expected them to back when I was new to the game.)

Speaking of new players, with all the different ingredients of clay bowls, it is difficult to see which bowls contain food.
Edit: For example, palm oil i bowl (not edible) looks exactly like turkey broth in bowl (edible).

(BTW, I love the new slot boxes!)

Last edited by CatX (2019-06-17 11:13:11)

#15 2019-06-05 01:09:17

RodneyC86

Tech tree vertical height AND width not enough - improvement is largely only water-related. Even then apparently, pros can reach diesel engines (what I consider the final tech in the game currently) by gen 6.

Everyone still farms exactly the same way 100 generations later
This may also be why people don't care for lineage

Cloth is too expensive

60 years feels too short - when I live to 60 - I feel this has been a life I REALLY enjoyed staying in, and would like to continue living just a bit longer. Maybe some way to allow life extension? Maybe YUM bonus can extend life (eating variety improves general health afterall) - also, making longer life will encourage "grandparenting"

EDIT: I understand this undermines the concept of one hour one life - but one should be flexible IMO

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-06-05 01:27:05)

#16 2019-06-05 02:26:01

wio

Tech progression seems to happen too easily and quickly. It really only takes a few generations to get to higher tech, and from that point on all that is left for players to do is maintenance. The vast majority of lives are spent in towns that have done everything there is to do.

Primitive tech is never replaced by advanced tech. Instead we see both being used side by side. It's extremely ugly to see things like adobe kilns alongside the engines. There's little sense of "era" because we have to keep around old stuff. Villages have to keep around things like round and sharp stones even after they have developed things like knives and hammers.

Societies are very homogenous. There is very little specialization or variety. So often there only seems to be one way of accomplishing things, so every town does it that way.

Everything happens instantly, things like grinding up grain, making rope, weaving thread all happen instantly. These seem like things that should have some cost beyond just gathering the ingredients. I'm talking about something like a time or hunger cost so that labor is more than just clicking on something.

Players can't do extremely ambitious things, due to resource limitations rather than labor limitations.

There is neither mass storage nor mass transit. It's not feasible to have outposts for specialized resource collection.

#17 2019-06-05 06:04:28

Dodge

Progression in tech is too fast.

No trading because no professions so everyone can do everything hence nothing has any value.

Having to make large ammounts of food constantly but at the same time having way too many ressources

Higher tier foods that take a lot of time to do are not better than lower tier foods that take 5 seconds to make.

Every progression made in the game is constantly lost to an infinite map and an 8 hour wipe.

No roads are made between towns because there is no reasons to meet other lineages.

20 innefficient and unorganized people in a town feeding on berries is still doable so there is no reason to branch out or have personnal property and not live in a tribal system.

No smith shop, farmer's house, tailor shop, family houses, bakery shop, restaurant, food store, family owned businesses etc

Food has no trading value because you have to eat constantly but at the same time every food is on the same level even the very elaborated, higher quality ones.

So why eat a bean burrito or elaborated pies prepared by an experienced chef, when you can munch on berries and carrots.

Roads decay in 8 hours and are tedious to make while not having any reason to connect different towns or branched out places.

No offcial medics because impossible to carry pads in a bag, or sterile container like a glass bottle on you (not in a cart or carrying the bowl). (which makes murder very unbalanced especially right now)

Game is too much about being fast and not about making the right decisions.

Overall progression in the game is too easy but at the same time meaningless (You progress fast and lose all progression fast too).

You cant really fuck up. Your actions dont really have consequences:

All lineages die? No problem new Eve's on the way.

You used all the ressources? No problem the map is infinite and ressources will respawn in 8 hours.

You died? No problem just get reborn.

#18 2019-06-05 07:52:26

voy178

Letters are too tedious to make resulting in unnamed towns for the vast majority of the time.

#19 2019-06-05 07:57:49

CatX

There's every reason to kill outsiders, and no real reason to keep them alive since outsiders eventually will lead to war... And there is nothing constructive outsiders do that our own family members can't do just as well.

#20 2019-06-05 10:12:32

Mushroom

Hot coals are used in many recipes, but they are pain in the ass to make, because you have to wait for two minutes, and in the meantime some dumbass can add firewood/kindling.

The only thing that actually feels like real tech development is water source. We have no ways (and no need right now, I guess) to advance in methods of cooking, hunting and making tools and pottery.

Bowler hat and top hat can be found in early village, because they are very easy to make, which feels a bit odd. Especially when you think about making advanced clothing, which these hats should link to.

People get very angry about digging graves.

The towns lack consistency - you can wear fancy clothes and enter the industrial era, but still use clay bowls and adobe kilns. To make a sword (which is pretty basic tool irl actually) you need newcomen tech first.

Dickbutt

#21 2019-06-05 10:50:25

Roblor

I got a good one;

I'm annoyed at the lack of responsible ways to store tiny machine components such as the valves;
Against any other ground-tile other than snow, they are virtually invisible, and the same goes if you try to store them in baskets (which may cause anyone to unwillingly run off with them)

As machine components become increasingly smaller and smaller as the future updates (Jason be willing) comes out, the need for a new overviewable (yes I made english) storage unit will become increasingly urgent!

My idea was just a workdesk furniture with a clean surface that could hold multiple "tiny"-size items in one place, however, this can obviously be solved in a myriad of inventive ways I'm sure smile

Otherwise; Great game! Why you hanging out at the forums Jason?? We'll just make you secondguess everything and send you on wild(Canada)goose chases tongue

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#22 2019-06-05 10:54:05

Roblor

Dodge wrote:

AGREED!

Next update;
Die in the game = die irl!

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#23 2019-06-05 12:14:01

CatX

Roblor wrote:
Dodge wrote:

AGREED!

Next update;
Die in the game = die irl!

Problem: There is no way on this forum to express agreement or to display an emotion for a post other than to make a new post.

To earlier posters: lol lol

#24 2019-06-05 12:42:02

CatX

A lot of time (years of our lives) is spent running around in search of the tool we know was there just a few years earlier. Did it break or did someone move it? If so, where? Am I going blind?

#25 2019-06-05 14:28:36

mrbah

Baskets full of snares/bone needles etc will appear empty, it would be usefull if hovering the basket displayed what's inside.
different pies look the same, makes trying to yum off them needlessly difficult.

Board footer