One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-07 12:25:06

futurebird

The worst roads ever....

I've been seeing a lot of people building bad roads. But, what makes a road terrible? The worst kind of road leads to nothing. Maybe the person wanted to make an outpost or town, but there is no sense in making the road first. Roads that are needed are:

1. road to oil
2. road to rabbits
3. road to water*

*this will become irrelevant once you have oil AND engine. The oil road and pump should be made BEFORE the engine or at the same time. Been on a lot of towns with an engine and no oil pump or road. I also have not had the chance to make an engine except on small servers and it's annoying. You never get the chance to learn. Whoever is churning out engines... thank you... but also maybe step back and let some other people gain some skills. You can't be in every village. And making the engine *first* just because it's more interesting and fun than pumping oil is almost selfish.

Many players feel that a road to water is very important. But, it's really just a stop gap. Almost not worth doing at all. I've also seen roads to.... um iron mines? WTF. Think about how much your road will be used. Think about how nearly every person born in the town after you will waste their time going down your road to look at the exhausted well or iron mine.

The road to rabbits and oil will always be needed. Connecting towns is still too dangerous so don't bother. Only build a road to a well if no one is making the engine and no one knows how.

Focus on the road to the oil.

Later if you don't have an adjacent prairie that's easy to find make a rabbit road for the kids.

The problem with building is mistakes are hard to correct. Someone spammed a bunch of building steaks close to the smith and as I was trying to remove them someone else plopped a stone corner in the middle of the damn bakery. I tried to remove the road to the dead well and move the stone to the oil road only to find some one else was building it right back again.

"what is road for"
"IDK"

If you don't know what it's for don't make the road. Don't assume your ancestors knew what they were doing when they laid out stones.....

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-06-07 13:00:09

Whatever

Re: The worst roads ever....

We need to make a road 50 000 tiles long
trough out the whole map !
we can build villages along this road

#3 2019-06-07 14:05:34

Amon

Worse problem is we can't make signposts. That is why most roads into the unknown are useless.
I'm a guilty roadbuilder into the unknown too.

Last edited by Amon (2019-06-07 14:16:50)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-06-07 15:41:05

Spoonwood

I agree that those purposes make for the best roads for a town.

However, roads will survive reclamation with the coming update (whenever it comes).  Thus, roads to nowhere might not always end up useless, since they won't disappear (unless I think an apocalypse happens).  Who knows what they could turn into (perhaps roads that help Eves scout, perhaps highways between towns, perhaps longer roads to nowhere... again... who knows at this point in time?).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-06-07 15:41:36)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer