One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-05 23:15:24

Deleted User

Proposal: Horse carriages

Simple. People take seat in a wagon that is drawn by one horse. The idea is that one horse can carry up to two and two horses up to four people, PLUS the rider who steers the horses. Optionally, a box can be added behind the actual carriage where props can be stored.

#2 2019-06-06 00:06:33

lychee

Re: Proposal: Horse carriages

Just FYI: this is a bit challenging to implement, given the current engine, and would require pretty hefty code changes.

Jason did say he would implement baby carts eventually though, so maybe revisit that this topic when it seems like the baby trains are on the horizon.

#3 2019-06-06 04:23:54

RodneyC86

Like those settler wagons in Oregon Trail?
It's one of the ideas in my mind now to encourage settlements. Probably be a double cart tied together with 2 horses , with added two bolts of cloth. I do think yes 5 people would be about right to jump start a new settlenent quickly. Perhaps 8 large item slots

Oh no I made a suggestion. I don't care, I'm doing it , can't help it. Sue me

Since I mentioned Oregon trail, can we have dysentery ? - players can have a chance of contracting this if they eat food that has been sitting on floor (plated and bowled foods excluding) for more than 5 mins (5 minute rule!) .
Dysentery players will randomly poop which is infective to players who come in contact with said poop. Players can survive dysentery by a random roll for success but improved with proper hydration. Inb4 dysentery griefers

#4 2019-06-06 08:01:20

Sukallinen

Problem: Not able to settle faraway-place without taking (stealing) too much from original camp. Solution:

Not hard to implement new item two-horse-carriage (mentioned earlier).

Taking one horse away from it when you're ready to go (get female to new town-to-be) would be good. Nothing else needed, except one can take a horse from two-horsecart so it becomes horsecart we all know and kind of love now - so idea behind this is when I've set up a rudimantary camp I can go ask at home/other village some eligible lady.

Solves problem of no resources since you can go rather far with both horsecart and horse.

Why make hard things like sitting in cart/such, this is ez and as usable.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-06-06 08:03:24)

#5 2019-06-06 08:19:00

Valareos

Trouble with this idea, and it does have to do with the engine, can be better explained by changing the terms a bit.

Assume that we consider players "Actors", and everything they interact with are "Props".

An actor can use a prop, be it a food item, a horse and cart, or even a theoretical Horse Carriage.

A Prop can not act upon an Actor, Your horse can not ride without you telling it to, your pie won't automatically smack you in the face, no matter how many bananas and cream are in it.

An Actor can act upon an actor though, or use a prop on an actor. But this is the actor performing the action, not the prop. Feeding babies by picking them up, or giving them berries, or killing him once he spams the whistle emote are all examples of this.

To make a Horse and Carriage the way you traditionally think it would work, it would require the carriage (a prop) to work on an actor, because the carriage will have to force the player to move, even though someone is driving it.

There is no mechanism in the game that forces a player to move without the player clicking the mouse on a position.

What there would need to be first is an auto-follow function.  This would be needed first before designing the rest.

THat being said, how many times have you lost someone you are following due to lag? Auto follow would certainly be helpful.

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#6 2019-06-06 09:33:42

Amon

Auto follow would certianly also open the doors to many more features.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#7 2019-06-06 11:42:32

Starknight_One

Amon wrote:

Ah, yes. "Follow me!" *proceeds to dance through a snake-pit*

(Inb4 follow griefing!)

#8 2019-06-06 12:35:24

Amon

Starknight_One wrote:
Amon wrote:

Ah, yes. "Follow me!" *proceeds to dance through a snake-pit*

(Inb4 follow griefing!)

Didn't your mother tell you to not follow strangers into the woods? This kind of griefing is already happening, except replace snakes with weapon.

Art!!

#9 2019-06-06 15:42:37

futurebird

Someone had a hand holding idea that I thought was kind of good. Another player could pull you along and if you didn't want to go you could break free just like a child would.

Mechanics:

If you try to "pick up" an adult as you would with a child your hand is offered to them. You both must be still and near each other. If they then click on your hand you link hands and stay linked until you break free by clicking on a tile to let go.

Would be hard to use for griefing since you must click their hand to link hands and and easily let go by clicking.

This would be fun and look cute too.

"take my hand I'll show you where the oil is"
"Let's go there together"

just think how cute it would be to see two kids holding hands coming in to town!

Last edited by futurebird (2019-06-06 15:43:17)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#10 2019-06-06 16:40:21

YannaChan
Banned

futurebird wrote:

Someone had a hand holding idea that I thought was kind of good. Another player could pull you along and if you didn't want to go you could break free just like a child would.

Mechanics:

If you try to "pick up" an adult as you would with a child your hand is offered to them. You both must be still and near each other. If they then click on your hand you link hands and stay linked until you break free by clicking on a tile to let go.

Would be hard to use for griefing since you must click their hand to link hands and and easily let go by clicking.

This would be fun and look cute too.

"take my hand I'll show you where the oil is"
"Let's go there together"

just think how cute it would be to see two kids holding hands coming in to town!

There was also a hugging idea which would also be cute.

#11 2019-06-06 17:57:02

Grim_Arbiter

Valareos wrote:

Trouble with this idea, and it does have to do with the engine, can be better explained by changing the terms a bit.

Assume that we consider players "Actors", and everything they interact with are "Props".

An actor can use a prop, be it a food item, a horse and cart, or even a theoretical Horse Carriage.

A Prop can not act upon an Actor, Your horse can not ride without you telling it to, your pie won't automatically smack you in the face, no matter how many bananas and cream are in it.

An Actor can act upon an actor though, or use a prop on an actor. But this is the actor performing the action, not the prop. Feeding babies by picking them up, or giving them berries, or killing him once he spams the whistle emote are all examples of this.

To make a Horse and Carriage the way you traditionally think it would work, it would require the carriage (a prop) to work on an actor, because the carriage will have to force the player to move, even though someone is driving it.

There is no mechanism in the game that forces a player to move without the player clicking the mouse on a position.

What there would need to be first is an auto-follow function.  This would be needed first before designing the rest.

THat being said, how many times have you lost someone you are following due to lag? Auto follow would certainly be helpful.

What if you just made the cart part of the actor once in use? 

You said there is no mechanism in game that forces a player's movement without clicking the mouse, but a mother carrying a child is just that. I would consider her a vehicle basically.

Like you said its actor acting through the other actor at that point with mother and child. Use that model for vehicles.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#12 2019-06-06 20:47:18

Amon

futurebird wrote:

Ok, that would be cute. I'm all in for making OHOL more interaction based.

Art!!

#13 2019-06-06 22:35:43

Valareos

Amon wrote:
futurebird wrote:

Ok, that would be cute. I'm all in for making OHOL more interaction based.

Cute? Two words for you.. The Shining

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

Board footer