One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-06-03 08:50:13

Valareos

My First Week in OHOL: A Newbies Perspective

So I began playing after watching other people play it on Youtube.  I quite enjoy the game, but playing it I end up quietly grumping about my village for different reasons. Here is a few (all different villages)

1. Why the hell would you cut down every single tree in sight! I mean, you left the logs there! You didn't need those trees at that moment!

2. I DID harvest the milkweed at fruiting stage. Look, it did not regrow like you claim it should.

3. Stop planting carrots if you don't plan to harvest them!!!! I mean, one or two seed plots sure, but 20???

4. OMG... Stack your unused items! I don't care if you plan to use them soon, you don't need 5 flat rocks out when all your doing is making steel! And don't get me started on the 15 individual iron ore around you!

5. Wait! Baby! Come back! Stop running from... eech.. Help a dingo ate my baby!

6. Wait, who took all my flat rocks from the smithing area?

7. Oi, hands off of my bowls and plates, dammit!

8. Mommy was going so fast on her horse she didn't realized she dropped me.

9. Stupid Yellow Fever.

and finally

10. SOMEONE KILL THAT DAMN WHISTLING BABY!

Most Memorable Life : Elisabeth Peters, Adopted by Flint Peters.  Gen 59, LD 36

#2 2019-06-03 09:00:15

MultiLife

Re: My First Week in OHOL: A Newbies Perspective

Thank you for the post, I've always been interested in newbie experiences on this game, although watching videos made you way less of a newbie!
This game does give out a certain experience every time a new player approaches it, so it'd be super interesting to see how newbies experience the game. You can only start playing a new game once after all, you can never be a newbie again!

Those 'old folk tales' are so annoying, things like the milkweed regrowing etc. It's always news to someone it doesn't. Gah. big_smile
I wish the game made more sense so these kinds of efficiency tricks wouldn't be a thing like they are now. Like "don't drain the pond or the goose leaves and we won't get eggs", "goosewhatnow? *drains the pond*", "Ffffuuu--". Like really, ziup goes the goose suddenly, and there went the eggs, feathers and meat. And no, no silly featers from domestic geese. You crazy!

Anything that suprised you when playing?

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-06-03 09:03:08)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#3 2019-06-03 09:02:03

Dantox

10 is so relatable

make bread, no war

#4 2019-06-03 09:05:09

Tarr
Banned

Valareos wrote:

So I began playing after watching other people play it on Youtube.  I quite enjoy the game, but playing it I end up quietly grumping about my village for different reasons. Here is a few (all different villages)

1. Why the hell would you cut down every single tree in sight! I mean, you left the logs there! You didn't need those trees at that moment!

2. I DID harvest the milkweed at fruiting stage. Look, it did not regrow like you claim it should.

3. Stop planting carrots if you don't plan to harvest them!!!! I mean, one or two seed plots sure, but 20???

4. OMG... Stack your unused items! I don't care if you plan to use them soon, you don't need 5 flat rocks out when all your doing is making steel! And don't get me started on the 15 individual iron ore around you!

9. Stupid Yellow Fever.

and finally

1. People are notoriously bad at thinking further ahead than five minutes. Either you got griefed or a big case of goofballs who don't care about the future.

2. Milkweed hasn't regrown for like a year. The only difference between picking between stage 1 and 3 is that fruitful gives unlimited seeds for ten minutes while no other stage gives seeds.

3. Carrots have always been a problem because someone decides to "help" by watering a row in the ground. The practice comes from the fact before carrot seeds would need to be put in the tilled rows to lessen clutter so people still store seeds in rows and someone always sees this and waters.

4. Clutter is and has always been terrible. Getting people to clean up after themselves in game is just about as bad as asking a five year old to do it irl.

5. Babies are picky. They die for any and all reasons you could think of. Best to wait for a baby who wants you and then start the emotional roller coaster of parenthood.

6. People are lazy. They'll take vital things from any work area and leave you to fetch more flat rocks because they wanted a road to nowhere or a graveyard.

7. See six.

8. There's no penalty for neglecting babies so there's not really a reason to caring about babies in the wild unless you want to be nice. Though, you can just never raise babies as a female and play like you're male if you really want to (this is why being female > male.)

9. People either use a modded client such as hetuw or change the sprites on mosquitoes to prevent yellow fever.

10. Yeah, emote spam babies are the worst. Sort of wish there was a way to mute just emote sounds.

fug it’s Tarr.

#5 2019-06-03 09:06:15

Valareos

MultiLife wrote:

Anything that suprised you when playing?

Biggest surprise was when I was born, and my mother gave me her white dress, crown, and dagger. Getting to be a queen was interesting, but at same time didn't feel much different.  I was able to kill a murderer to defend the village, have a lot of children, and pass my crown to my first born daughter, as well as plant three trees.

It may have played no different than any other game, but the feel of continuity, passing on something my mother gave me, and her grandmother gave her was a special feeling.

#6 2019-06-03 10:16:02

Baker

I kill whistling babies if they don't stop, Most of the time people will thank you but you still get idiots cursing you and stabbing you back. Today I had two of them at once, The first one I killed without an issue but they healed the other one. Second kid was just copying the first guy but I still feel he didn't deserve the heal, Least he was only salty at me for about 2 min and he wasn't annoying after that.

Some eight years old stabbed me on slowdown but I was healed.  She called me bad for killing babies but later stabbed a woman and then told me to "kill her", I did gladly.

For the most part, annoying babies won't be much help when they grow up.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#7 2019-06-03 11:33:28

Valareos

This game though, I do greatly enjoy it. Each game is fundamentally different!

Like just now, found our city was not farming milkweed. There was a lack of thread, rope.. anything on that line.  I took a handcart with a basket of food, and 3 bowls and went out to the world.

I returned with 3 bowls of Milkweed Seed, and by the time I had died of old age, production of carts and buckets had begun once more.

Even had time to finish tooling out the sheep pen so that reliance on milkweed for clothing was no longer needed. Balls of thread, and wool clothing big_smile

#8 2019-06-03 12:30:02

pein

Valareos wrote:

9. Stupid Yellow Fever.

and finally

the game has changed a lot since those videos

trees that don't hold branches are useless except a group of rubber trees, but even those if are on center of jungle are kindof bad cause it's hot, but the ones in side allow rubber tire maing, cutting it down the useless prevents newbees cut down the useful
and you would wonder how much a single player can do alone
i myself made 20 long wooden road while making food, water, getting iron, so 20 trees are a lot but not when 2 players cooperate, now if i do it a whole life, then it can be 80+

milkweed doesn't regrow so rather store some seed and don't pick in fruiting stage more than one cause blocks th tiles

people still don't know the carrot mechanics, it's 5 min to grow which is the fastest right now but you don't need too many seeds
i would prefer 1 row of 5 carrots left to seed, 1 or 2 carrots seeding uses the same soil as 5 but gives 1-2 seeds instead of 7 which is waste of soil
i can heat up 3 iron and smash it myself and at least 12 if the setup is right, same with 12 pottery items, this uses the fire more efficiently
stacking up and down is annoying cause then i got to unstack it before use, rather have more space near kiln and don't mess with smith area if you don't know to smith
i see newbees heat up 1-2 iron and make one specific tool and is a waste of kindling
just because i don't need it right away, i wil lneed it in 5 min and i prefer havign the stones where i want and havign enough bowls and plates to work fast
there is the case when people use up all iron for steel, that is bad as well, generally you need 3 for newcommen multipurpose, 3 for well and 4 for oil processor, 3 more for oil well  and minimum 3 tanks for kerosene (1 holds oil, one has to be on distiller and one reserve or used for car tank, plus one piston for newcommen hammer
that's 17 iron if you don't have any

suicide babies generally got a reason, even if is a bad one, is still their choice

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-06-03 13:11:23

Spoonwood

Tarr wrote:

3. Carrots have always been a problem because someone decides to "help" by watering a row in the ground. The practice comes from the fact before carrot seeds would need to be put in the tilled rows to lessen clutter so people still store seeds in rows and someone always sees this and waters.

A fully seeded carrot row stores 7 seeds.  A bowl of carrot seeds only stores 5 carrot seeds.  Both the bowl and the seeded carrot row take up the same amount of space, so space efficiency wise a fully seeded carrot row is superior.  Also, to grief a fully seeded carrot row, one would need to pick all of the carrot seeds off of there and move them away.  To grief a bowl of carrot seeds one would need to move the bowl away... which goes along with the question... does a bowl of carrot seeds fit in a horsecart?  Given futurebird's method of cleaning up towns by removing useful things from them (including beans) as a good one, that's not just a question with relevance to griefers.

Tarr wrote:

8. There's no penalty for neglecting babies so there's not really a reason to caring about babies in the wild unless you want to be nice. Though, you can just never raise babies as a female and play like you're male if you really want to (this is why being female > male.)

There's no accountability for bad moms in this game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-06-03 13:30:46

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

trees that don't hold branches are useless except a group of rubber trees, but even those if are on center of jungle are kindof bad cause it's hot, but the ones in side allow rubber tire maing,

A juniper tree is needed to start a fire.  Palm trees are needed for palm oil to make french fries or to make rubber.

Also, though they may not have branches, a pine tree with cardinals getting cut down will lead to people justifiably getting upset, and pine trees with cardinals aren't useful also.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-06-03 18:27:52

pein

Spoonwood wrote:
pein wrote:

trees that don't hold branches are useless except a group of rubber trees, but even those if are on center of jungle are kindof bad cause it's hot, but the ones in side allow rubber tire maing,

A juniper tree is needed to start a fire.  Palm trees are needed for palm oil to make french fries or to make rubber.

Also, though they may not have branches, a pine tree with cardinals getting cut down will lead to people justifiably getting upset, and pine trees with cardinals aren't useful also.

well, mango juniper and palm has no butt logs either

while palm and hot spring is useful closeby, the real issue generally is buckets getting forgotten in the jungle
so i prefer if i can have a desert near the jungle, and get a few rubber done, but generally is not an option, and not a susainable one so the best thing to do is just use the closest group of rubber trees and make new oven

and rather to worry about distance for sulfur and oil use a horse fence and a horse

you need one juniper not all of them so if it blocks the way for a wall or farm or spring then cut it

you cant cut mango if it's soil or soil and water on it which makes them a good wall

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer