One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-30 11:34:31

Potjeh

Please no more recipes involving milkweed

Milkweed is the bottleneck for virtually everything in the game, because for vast majority of things you might want to do you need either rope or bucket. Getting milkweed is time-intensive, whether you're farming it or gathering wild, so it eats up too many years from whatever project you're trying to do. And it's tedious to farm/gather milkweed almost every single life. Also, it really kills the feeling of advancing tech when you're always stuck doing the first piece of tech in the game. Plus it's kinda unaesthetic, when have you ever seen people farming milkweed IRL? So Jason, please promise me not to add any more recipes requiring milkweed, at least until you add alternative paths to getting thread, rope and buckets.

#2 2019-05-30 13:37:58

pein

Re: Please no more recipes involving milkweed

the main problem tht some farm it but generally others use it, when others make dumb snares of it, it just pisses me off
and it's kind of slow pace thing to do en mass

and kids rarely do it, it's not like it's hard or anything, they just don't like to do it, and it's something we should produce cause they is never excess of ropes
i seen 4 horses in the other city, next life i went back and all was gone, and it's really annoying when i spend 10 minutes and a 12 year old runs off with the horse, never to return

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#3 2019-05-30 17:36:16

Sukallinen

I usually see no problem, unless someone wants smithing done I do fast 3-5 composts, then adventure, come back and plant all those milkweed. So there's enough of it to go around, I basically do two carts and 2-3 baskets(EDIT:Buckets sry), others have done other stuff. Also, if there are other composts I use'em (my composts are going to be ready very soon anyhow).

I do not plant it in middle of town, a bit on the side (20 tiles or so), so only few know at first until I tell I've done those items and go use it. Then it's like goldrush. If no oilpump at water then I do it in swamp or later in life when I can move cart. If I have bp it's easy to get some water from swamps, just bp a bowl and carry bucket after planted mw-also most kids water mw farm so when I see that happening I can go my first adventure and let'em.

Edit: It usually takes two hoes though, so ppl are sore about making'em sometimes. And if no more iron nearby town is doomed anyhow-or opposite, with mw ppl can get horses to gather iron further away easier.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-05-30 19:30:55)

#4 2019-05-30 18:30:32

futurebird

planting milkweed isn't fun-- there should be a domestic variety with a 20percent chance of getting string when you harvest. All of the other domestic crops are better than the wild versions. Milkweed is the same, but you are eating up soil and water.

I've farmed it often because it's needed. I collect it when I can. I still think it's just a grind in a bad way.

Even if it was hard having a way to make lots of rope would be amazing.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-30 19:46:02

Sukallinen

futurebird wrote:

planting milkweed isn't fun

I understand, you do not like farming (I see no real difference planting four bowls of mw seeds to any other kind of farming, I understand you want more for less-some plants just don't work like that-planted sparragus irl ? 3 years for rare stalks).

Also, please DO NOT pick all the milkweed near towns though, I've had 10 years ride and not found one-sometimes when I find one it is so far the seed decays before I can plant it (once today so far).

There are some limiting factors IRL, milkweed is a big one in game. Don't make towns die (and don't claim it's easy to find seeds once everything or even most within 500 tiles is picked clean).
We cannot even trade it (I don't see moving it with airplane as option). IDK why everything should be easy. This is one of the rare hard things.

futurebird wrote:

Even if it was hard having a way to make lots of rope would be amazing.

? I do not understand, saying first it should be easy then saying it won't bother you when it's hard.

(As I explained) it can be easy-if I'm naked, not wanting to watch my food pips all the time, I make 3-5 composts fast when young, plant most of'em milkweed, and mostly town kids water'em (even newbies). When I come back some are gone, but that amount some left like I stated above. Also, more ppl realize it is valuable asset.

Or suggest making rope from oil, might even make some kind of trade possible (if other stuff could be made from... idk, only from pond-water at the site). Encouraging trade is hard, but maybe riding to town with cart of lassoes/baskets of rope could make non-oil-town boost other tech for trading reasons.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-05-30 19:54:19)

#6 2019-05-30 20:11:39

futurebird

Hard isn't the same thing and boring grind-y and not fun.
Lots of hard things are super fun. Milkweed isn't hard it's tedious. There is a difference.

I generally like farming and spend a lot of time growing most everything else, but when you grow milkweed you get nothing for your efforts not even a hardened row that you can replant. It's not better than the wild version like berries where you get one extra berry, it's not like carrots which are amazing and grow multiples per row. You just get the same boring wild plant after having used up soil and water and they take forever to despawn if harvested incorrectly so you can't keep a farm plot going. Someone can clear it all out in a few moments. It's just annoying that growing milkweed can't be avoided.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-05-30 21:01:02

Potjeh

Milkweed is extra grindy because you have to do two bowls of soil for one and you need two tiles to get anything useful, it adds up to a lot of clicks and walking. Farming other crops feels much nicer.

#8 2019-05-30 21:05:20

lychee

futurebird wrote:

Hard isn't the same thing and boring grind-y and not fun.
Lots of hard things are super fun. Milkweed isn't hard it's tedious. There is a difference.

I generally like farming and spend a lot of time growing most everything else, but when you grow milkweed you get nothing for your efforts not even a hardened row that you can replant. It's not better than the wild version like berries where you get one extra berry, it's not like carrots which are amazing and grow multiples per row. You just get the same boring wild plant after having used up soil and water and they take forever to despawn if harvested incorrectly so you can't keep a farm plot going. Someone can clear it all out in a few moments. It's just annoying that growing milkweed can't be avoided.

I think that's an interesting point.

Maybe milkweed feels tedious because there's no mark of it being there -- you could spend a lifetime farming milkweed, and as soon as its all plucked, it's almost like the milkweed farm never existed to begin with. It feels like you've done absolutely nothing precisely because of the absence of that sense of permeance.

So I guess that point about milkweed leaving a hardened row could help counter that feeling.

#9 2019-05-30 21:13:30

futurebird

Wheat is also like that. But one wheat gives you flour AND compost, so it's not as big of a deal. Something simple like giving milkweed a chance to regrow (not make it always regrow like in the past) something like 1/3 of plants regrow would go a long way to making it fun to farm and ease the rope crunch.

Otherwise having some rope higher in the tech tree would be great. Hemp plants that need to be boiled then twisted on a machine but they give you a whole lasso...

---
omnem cibum costis

#10 2019-05-30 22:37:12

Bob 101

Most importent resource: Rarely grown/ Gathered

Low grade food item: Half the town

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-30 22:37:35)

Board footer