One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-29 16:52:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Only 97 Eves today (1% instead of the old 10% of lives)

So these changes worked.  97 Eves out of 9400 lives so far today.

Sunday was 1200 Eves out of 12,000 lives.

So that's 10x better.

97 is still a lot.

I think I probably need to shrink the average birth cooldowns a bit too.

#2 2019-05-29 17:10:45

Amon

Re: Only 97 Eves today (1% instead of the old 10% of lives)

That's quite good, however I wonder how those Eves came into existance. Definitely there will be fail eves and eve camps, say one in a ten. An equilibrium of town survival will have to be met.
9% is a good change. one in 10 is huuuge, 1 in 100 is definitely better.

Question, is there any timer for insta /DIE-ers that still count towards resetting the mother's cooldown if she hadn't picked you the moment you were born and went /DIE the very instant. 10-20 seconds or so. or say 2 pip bars of hunger worth?
I thought something like that was implemented but some worrying people stated it's not the case.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#3 2019-05-29 17:12:56

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Whenever your child dies of any cause, if it's your most-recent child, your birth cooldown is reset.

So this is true of runners, held-DIE babies, non-held DIE babies.... all of them.

#4 2019-05-29 17:18:53

futurebird

It's a little harder to play as female and get much done, but I think that's OK. This could be a very good change I'm interested to see of lineages last a bit longer now... Thanks for looking in to this issue.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#5 2019-05-29 17:26:19

Spoonwood

Someone, not me, on discord said that there were only 2 families existing at around 1:00 P. M. Eastern Standard Time.  They also said that they felt sick of both of them.  2 families existing doesn't suggest a shrink needed.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-29 17:42:28

lychee

I’m also curious about the number of distinct families we’ll be seeing after this update.

#7 2019-05-29 17:49:33

Keyin

Some kid in my village was trying to play Eve by getting people to kill him (and thus area ban him, because he is involved in a murder).

So this is still a feasible way to Eve. As long as you can get someone in every village to kill you within 90 minutes, you can play as Eve.

Or the reverse, if you kill someone in every town you can Eve, but you're more likely to go to donkey town.

#8 2019-05-29 17:54:35

DestinyCall

Keyin wrote:

Some kid in my village was trying to play Eve by getting people to kill him (and thus area ban him, because he is involved in a murder).

So this is still a feasible way to Eve. As long as you can get someone in every village to kill you within 90 minutes, you can play as Eve.

Or the reverse, if you kill someone in every town you can Eve, but you're more likely to go to donkey town.

I recommend NOT helping people in this way.    It is annoying behavior.    Don't encourage it.

#9 2019-05-29 17:58:26

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I've never quite understood this "sick of this family" thing.

If you want a fresh start, just walk away after you're grown up and pretend to be Eve.

Go back to the land.

#10 2019-05-29 18:03:53

Keyin

DestinyCall wrote:
Keyin wrote:

I recommend NOT helping people in this way.    It is annoying behavior.    Don't encourage it.

Yeah I didn't kill him. Some old lady did. I was honestly lost for words when it happened.

#11 2019-05-29 18:08:08

Turnipseed

jasonrohrer wrote:

If you want a fresh start, just walk away after your grown up and pretend to be Eve.

Go back to the land.

People want to choose a last name simple as that

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#12 2019-05-29 18:17:41

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

If you want a fresh start, just walk away after you're grown up and pretend to be Eve.

Go back to the land.

its a bit boring to do that because kids rarely stay with pseudo-eves.

I'd love to see forming new settlements as a meta though.

I think its also because the wilds arent particularly interesting in the game yet, so exploring is kinda meh.

#13 2019-05-29 18:26:18

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Go back to the land.

The player has to walk away.  They will NOT have their own lineage.  They know where the other town lies.  There exists more competition for resources.  Look, I've been the child of an Eve where my mother dies when I'm like 3 to a boar and then found a camp or ran away from people clueless about water and found a camp as a daughter of Eve.  That's different from starting fresh as an Eve.  Everything has to get discovered as an Eve, which isn't the same with a person being a run away.  Also, being a run away from a camp sometimes has gotten frowned upon by people.  I wasn't happy when I found out that there existed run aways from my camp before.  You may not understand why being Eve out in untouched wilderness is different from being a run away, but others do and they do differ.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-05-29 18:28:26

lychee

jasonrohrer wrote:

Go back to the land.

Part of this is the distance required to walk.

In the current game, iron is the limiting resource, and most advanced settlements have scouted/exhausted most iron within horse radius.

If you attempt to “go back to the land”, it’s not possible to walk far enough on land by foot to get to a fresh start with the surface iron required to start an eve village from scratch. Often, you have to depend on your kids to continue your migration since it isn’t realistic to start a good village in your own lifespan, but lots of kids will SID in that kind of situation because very few players have extensive experience eve-ing.

The decay resets will help a lot, although it’s impossible to know which direction one should travel to find iron.

Last edited by lychee (2019-05-29 18:29:25)

#15 2019-05-29 18:31:44

Dodge

What if you could chose to be an eve but not with a menu screen?

Some kind of shrine or recipe to make like the nosaj thing that makes you eve in your next life, unless there is already too many families per number of players on server. Then it's reported to a next life.

#16 2019-05-29 18:55:47

Dodge

Dodge wrote:

I think SID's are part of a deeper issue that involves, travelling to other villages,having an infinite map and constantly losing every progress you make in the game also wanting to be eve in some case.

If you knew that the village you're making is going to last a long time and not disappear in a couple of hours, if the map wasn't infinite and you could head in any direction and have a much higher chance to find a village, if there was a recipe or shrine that you could make in this life to increase your chance of being Eve in one of the next lives.

Would you still /die?

Right now there is not really long lasting civilisations, cities and travelling system like big roads that are forming, why?

With the tile reset thing (maybe set to 24 hour instead of 8), is there still a point to have an infinite map?

Since if the map is big enough, a sufficiently large part of it will reset, making it new and giving the impression to have an infinite map (no map border and going around the world) while having the advantages of a finite map where travelling and better village interaction could develop

Without having the villages necessarly forced together.

#17 2019-05-29 19:06:16

Amon

I just saw the code change you did for that in the other thread! that's quite a clearall fix for the problem, but suppose it'l work to compensate for the sid bebs ^^.

Art!!

#18 2019-05-29 19:08:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, yeah, of course if you walk away, you're not starting your own fresh line.

But obviously, if ever player started their own fresh line, there'd be 100 concurrent lines, and it would never work.

So we simply cannot allow every player to start their own line, nor can we allow players to decide to be Eve.

This is the hidden reason why established lines were dying out, I think.  You are competing with 15 other lines for babies.

#19 2019-05-29 19:10:06

Amon

with less towns in a server, sid-ing might become less common aswell since you'll be just cycling between the same towns and are bound to pick one assp if you wanan crank in some actuall enjoyment in the game.

Art!!

#20 2019-05-29 19:16:01

lychee

jasonrohrer wrote:

Well, yeah, of course if you walk away, you're not starting your own fresh line.

But obviously, if ever player started their own fresh line, there'd be 100 concurrent lines, and it would never work.

So we simply cannot allow every player to start their own line, nor can we allow players to decide to be Eve.

This is the hidden reason why established lines were dying out, I think.  You are competing with 15 other lines for babies.

Another interesting question is whether lines dying out necessarily equates to towns during out. In my personal experience, in the prior update, even when lines didn’t last particularly long, the towns were outliving the families.

I recently watched a twisted cast of a town that I recognized, but the family names were completely different.

Consequently, if your objective was longevity of towns, in my opinion the previous update didn’t impact that particularly badly. However the lineages did not last very long.

I’m curious about how this new update will impact the languages/families/swords. If there are only two/three families on the entire server, that makes languages/swords effectively useless, right? Because chances are your local area will grow increasingly homogenous. Even the nearby towns will presumably be colonized by people from your own family.

#21 2019-05-29 19:21:53

Keyin

I just witnessed the same thing in game. My sister, a girl name Shay Blondin, kept begging for someone to stab her so she can play Eve. If you look at her family tree, you'll see she got her wish.

http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4641410

#22 2019-05-29 19:41:38

Toxic
Banned

This diminishes the war idea tho. Now if you go into a town and look for other towns they are related. I was in a big blondin lineage today with 4 towns interrelated. So I guess time to remove swords? Now people use swords just to use up a lot of iron. I saw this kid use up a whole pile of iron on rods which was a a big waste of wood, water, charcoal and iron.

#23 2019-05-29 19:44:42

Booklat1

jasonrohrer wrote:

I actually agree

#24 2019-05-29 19:53:26

Spoonwood

Toxic wrote:

This diminishes the war idea tho. Now if you go into a town and look for other towns they are related. I was in a big blondin lineage today with 4 towns interrelated. So I guess time to remove swords? Now people use swords just to use up a lot of iron. I saw this kid use up a whole pile of iron on rods which was a a big waste of wood, water, charcoal and iron.

Even Toxic is suggesting that swords get removed now.  Sounds like it could be well over a majority who don't want swords.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2019-05-29 20:29:20

voy178

jasonrohrer wrote:

But why not replace the current surnames with a clan name and then people can pick their own last name if they're far enough from the main family? Still the same ancestor, but different "gens".

Board footer