One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-28 10:50:05

Tarr
Banned

Jason has spawned a bunch of Tarr raiders.

Which I find hilarious. Look up Eve Tarr in the family tree and look how many copycats have popped up.

I even managed to run into another Eve Tarr while playing who was raiding the closest town we spawned to. Don't get me wrong, swords are complete shit and have been a terrible update but the horde of Tarr's sneaking out of the woods to attack towns is both hilarious and sad. Hoping this gets fixed this week and we see a slowdown of Tarr related assaults.

fug it’s Tarr.

#2 2019-05-28 16:38:09

DestinyCall

Re: Jason has spawned a bunch of Tarr raiders.

You know ... They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

#3 2019-05-28 17:31:57

Amon

30+ eve Tarrs...
wow lol
Somebody havin' something against ya?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#4 2019-05-28 17:54:07

Spoonwood

Did Jason name people 'Eve Tarr' or was that some other person doing the naming?

I agree with you about swords, and not being able to curse outside of your lineage.

I also do find it sad that the early game has become more rare now.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-05-28 17:58:33

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:

Did Jason name people 'Eve Tarr' or was that some other person doing the naming?

I agree with you about swords, and not being able to curse outside of your lineage.

It was the individual player(s) doing the naming.   The recent updates simply enabled this kind of event to occur.

#6 2019-05-28 19:29:17

Psykout

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

It was the individual player(s) doing the naming.   The recent updates simply enabled this kind of event to occur.

And it was something for them to hinge on, to have a laugh to themselves. Many are trying to use frail anecdotes to condone negative behavior. "Jason isn't going to ban me, I don't care how what you think" There is nothing good that comes from statements like that, that is the start of another game turning to dust because people don't want to care about anyone but themselves, because it feels easier to do so.

#7 2019-05-28 20:03:45

DestinyCall

Worse yet, they can point to things like pit bulls, door locks, war swords, and Jason's recent posts on war & wall-building to legitamize their behavior.   Defending their actions by saying that they are just playing the game "the way Jason wants them to play it". 

This is why it is so dangerous to think of "griefer" as an accepatable part of the game on the same level as "farmer" or "baker".  It might be inevitable due to human nature that some people will grief, but you do not want to provide SUPPORT to the griefer playstyle.   Don't make them feel welcome and encouraged to keep griefing.  Because they will happily screw over your game and the rest of the community, if you let them.

#8 2019-05-28 20:24:43

Spoonwood

I agree with both Psykout and DestinyCall.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#9 2019-05-28 20:28:25

Psykout

Yeah well said Destiny, lets hope these discussions turn into positive changes.

#10 2019-05-28 22:33:14

testo

DestinyCall wrote:

Worse yet, they can point to things like pit bulls, door locks, war swords, and Jason's recent posts on war & wall-building to legitamize their behavior.   Defending their actions by saying that they are just playing the game "the way Jason wants them to play it". 

This is why it is so dangerous to think of "griefer" as an accepatable part of the game on the same level as "farmer" or "baker".  It might be inevitable due to human nature that some people will grief, but you do not want to provide SUPPORT to the griefer playstyle.   Don't make them feel welcome and encouraged to keep griefing.  Because they will happily screw over your game and the rest of the community, if you let them.

I am of a similar opinion. One thing is to defend everyones right to play as they want (that includes griefing). Completely different is to endorse it by means social validation, by giving them extra power or by making them a counterpart to the game.

It is not that hard, you have the power to grief but it´s not cool to others. If you have the power to grief (And that is way to much power right now) the people should have the power to socially retaliate. Removing curse outside family was the worst thing ever, even worst than sword and mass eves coming togheter. It just killed the *one* thing that we know for sure the griefer cares.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#11 2019-05-28 22:35:40

futurebird

testo wrote:

I am of a similar opinion. One thing is to defend everyones right to play as they want (that includes griefing). Completely different is to endorse it by means social validation, by giving them extra power or by making them a counterpart to the game.

Really well said. Now we have people coordinating greifing in the forum as well it's really discouraging. I don't really care to battle greifers. I'm not here for that.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#12 2019-05-29 03:34:14

testo

futurebird wrote:
testo wrote:

Really well said. Now we have people coordinating greifing in the forum as well it's really discouraging. I don't really care to battle greifers. I'm not here for that.

In all honesty, the biggest mistake here is to reply to griefers threads. For once you are giving them visibility, and for seconds you are giving them your attention. There is nothing more sweet for a griefer to know that he made someone sad or angry. I could go a little deeper on the psychological reasons, but I rather not. The truth is, each reply to one of their threads is for a griefer a candy, a sweet reminder that he has the power to piss you off. Just don´t reply to griefer threads. Don´t reply to them because you are not going to change their view or make them feel bad. Don´t reply. Ever.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#13 2019-05-29 03:48:29

RodneyC86

testo wrote:
futurebird wrote:
testo wrote:

In all honesty, the biggest mistake here is to reply to griefers threads. For once you are giving them visibility, and for seconds you are giving them your attention. There is nothing more sweet for a griefer to know that he made someone sad or angry. I could go a little deeper on the psychological reasons, but I rather not. The truth is, each reply to one of their threads is for a griefer a candy, a sweet reminder that he has the power to piss you off. Just don´t reply to griefer threads. Don´t reply to them because you are not going to change their view or make them feel bad. Don´t reply. Ever.

Someone also needs to tell Jason, that if you want griefers to challenge you and that is important, he doesn't have to endorse or condone it. It will happen , even if he says no don't. He needs to be the benevolent lord in a game to make a world people want to stay and make stories in.

Griefers are tough as weeds and will not go away even if you implement countless measure to reduce them, so don't worry, they will always be a challenge

Jason you hear me?

#14 2019-05-29 04:19:59

futurebird

RodneyC86 wrote:
testo wrote:
futurebird wrote:

Someone also needs to tell Jason, that if you want griefers to challenge you and that is important, he doesn't have to endorse or condone it. It will happen , even if he says no don't. He needs to be the benevolent lord in a game to make a world people want to stay and make stories in.

Griefers are tough as weeds and will not go away even if you implement countless measure to reduce them, so don't worry, they will always be a challenge

Jason you hear me?

I really wish that Jason got this. Griefers exists if you say they are part of the ecosystem or not. Inviting them in is a bad idea they will take as much as you give and more. Frankly, I do find a little nonsense amusing A LITTLE that isn't what we have going right now.

I'd say:
-no more griefing recruitment and celebration posts in the official form
-no more saying "they are part of the story"

Defend the fun of the main player base not the fun of those who can only seem to have it by ruining the fun of countless others. How many people get turned off unhappy and just disenchanted with the game from one griefer getting his jollies? 5... 10? It's not sustainable.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer