One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-05-26 09:53:13

testo

Re: how dare you (Jason says: "this is the other Eve thread")

Jk Howling wrote:
jasonrohrer wrote:

Even though players like being Eve, there's simply no room in the game for "more Eves" than there need to be.  If we have 10 Eves, and only one makes a viable village, the other ones who played Eve might as well have played solo on a higher-number server, right?  The only difference is that they had babies along the way, and roped them into what would inevitably be a failed project.

The original idea for the game was that Eve would be extremely rare.  She was player1 on the server, but that's it.

"Well, what happens when everyone dies out?"

Okay, well in that case, a new Eve is spawned to get things started again.

"What happens if there's only one available mother, and 10 people joining.  Will she get 10 babies?  That's insane"

Okay, in that case, we'll spawn more Eves to spread the load.

But you can see that even with these concessions to the original "one Eve" concept, we still really only want Eves in the game when they're really needed.

Also, if you like to Eve, just get born in a town and run away.  Anyone can play the starting-from-scratch game whenever they want (assuming that the land isn't stripped bare around town, which is another problem....)

If you're determined to quite literally never, EVER let players be able to eve, despite it being a popular playstyle that many people enjoy, then you need to give us the fucking ability to properly branch off of a family. We need more space.

I like being eve because it's a challenge, moreso than sitting in a functioning village adding to the already-large food stores and munching on pies. I like being able to start from scratch, build the first kiln, plant the first berries, and being completely on my own, with only my children to continue my legacy. I like seeing the foundations of something great, and coming on later to find that my family is still going! That the tiny eve camp bloomed into a city!

You just don't get the same effect anymore. Having to run for half my fertility just to find wild lands again is not enjoyable. Getting stuck with a surname that means nothing to me is not enjoyable. Being forced into already settled lands no matter how I spawn in, is not enjoyable.

Things stagnated very quickly. I'm already burnt out on being forced together in one small area when the map has easily the space and resources for hundreds, if not thousands, of settlements. I'm tired of seeing a town everywhere I look on bs2. I'm tired of being forced to play with strangers that just end up slaughtering my family a generation later.

Give us options that aren't /die /die /die.

The only accurate part about your post is getting stuck with the surname. I can take a horse at fourteen in most towns and be like 2k away in a few minutes. It is not *that hard to play a new settlement. I can get some milkweed and baskets on the way maybe start with a needle and a bowl if I want to speed up for the time lost (never more than ten minutes). Try it, it is pretty fun.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#27 2019-05-26 14:53:55

pedrolatro

Jason, a very quick insight here.

As I can see, what most people are complaining about is not the fact that they want to become Eves.
It is the fact that people who want to become Eves exploit this by /dying or some other broken solutions.

Here below, DestinyCall had some very good idea for solving this, that I find to be very fair.

DestinyCall wrote:

Meanwhile, for players who have nowhere to be born ... there are a couple of options.    I think the simplest solution is to let them spawn as an "Adam", far away from civilization.    Kind of like a mini-version of Donkey Town, except you can get out as soon as an eligible mother becomes available.    People would be much less inclined to spam /die repeatedly if the reward is becoming some random lonely dude far away from the action instead of an immortal fertility goddess.      They could still find their way back to civilization, if they got lucky and walked far enough, but it would be harder to abuse the respawn system if it takes most of your life to find a town to grief.

With this, the regular Eve spawning can keep on working with players that don't force rebirth, and thus the world won't ever die out as you pointed a few messages ago.

#28 2019-05-26 14:55:57

pedrolatro

Also, whenever you introduce such update, make sure to emphasize what you said some messages ago, of "if you want to play Eve, just grow and run away from your city, no problem with that smile". I enjoy doing this sometimes myself.

#29 2019-05-26 15:26:11

Spoonwood

testo wrote:

The only accurate part about your post is getting stuck with the surname. I can take a horse at fourteen in most towns and be like 2k away in a few minutes. It is not *that hard to play a new settlement. I can get some milkweed and baskets on the way maybe start with a needle and a bowl if I want to speed up for the time lost (never more than ten minutes). Try it, it is pretty fun.

Taking a horescart away from your family like that is rude and basically stealing.  Also, a child can pop out when you're on horse and getting born to a woman on a horse who never picks you up on bs2 isn't a fun experience for that player.  It also takes time for a player to get to 14, and that isn't time where the player is doing what they would like to do.  Being an Eve out in the wild who can raise children also makes more fun possible for more people, in addition to allowing people to start with their projects when they start playing.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#30 2019-05-26 15:26:48

Solbusaur

Tarr wrote:

Just make it like a curse token and you earn one every X hours played or by reaching old age as Eve. This way people can't repeatedly use Eve spawns to grief lest they avoid getting killed and reach sixty each time. This also rewards players who can reach old age and will disincentivize people from doing weird suicide gimmicks as Eve for maximum potential.  There will almost always be one person with an Eve token as long as it's possible to keep an Eve token from reaching old age

+1 I don't like getting raided by the same players as Eves

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#31 2019-05-26 21:20:27

testo

Spoonwood wrote:
testo wrote:

Taking a horescart away from your family like that is rude and basically stealing.  Also, a child can pop out when you're on horse and getting born to a woman on a horse who never picks you up on bs2 isn't a fun experience for that player.  It also takes time for a player to get to 14, and that isn't time where the player is doing what they would like to do.  Being an Eve out in the wild who can raise children also makes more fun possible for more people, in addition to allowing people to start with their projects when they start playing.

I would call it stealing if I didn´t make it. Provided that you are in a town with a) Basic steel tools b) Enough water, I believe it is totally possible to make a cart and get a horse at 14 ~ 16 and I will add that most of the times players don´t like to use horses and end up being griefed. Being an Eve from start may be more challenging and closer to what you are expecting, but getting a new settlement by yourself is not really harder (I mean, you get to start with some stuff if you want). I am just posting because the Eve problem and making a new town and starting new projets are completely different things. You can even ditch the horse at this point, move out at five with a basket and some clothing, pretty sure you can survive in the wild and get 1k away at least at 14. Just don´t tell the only choice is to Eve because it is not.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#32 2019-05-28 11:08:05

Kitaelia

jasonrohrer wrote:

"What happens if there's only one available mother, and 10 people joining.  Will she get 10 babies?  That's insane"

10 would be insane, yes...

But what if she got 2, 3, or 4 babies?

How about if we add in a low % chance for births with natural multiple babies? Twins/Trips/Quads.

Not the "Friends" option that we can choose, but could possibly borrow the same code to be modified/merged with the current birth rate / Eve spawn system.

Having only one baby at a time should still be mostly the 'norm' because we don't want to overdo it..

Which is why it would start out as a very low % chance that increases when certain factors are met:

How young is the mother to be?
How full is she?
How warm is she?
How fertile is she?

I found this article to be fascinating and we could borrow ideas from it for birth rates: https://www.whattoexpect.com/pregnancy/ … ving-twins

A few snips from the article that could translate into code:

Nearly 4 percent of babies in the United States are now born in sets of two, three or more, with the majority — about 95 percent — of these multiple births being twins.

(If)You're an older mom-to-be. As you age, your chance of conceiving twins increases. Researchers have found that women over 35 produce more follicle stimulating hormone (FSH) than younger women, which may cause more than one egg to drop at ovulation.

--

That way we could lower the chance of random Eves, making them rare and special again. Extras can still spawn if no fertile mothers are available or everyone is on birth cooldown, but I think the twins/trips/quads would help ease the Invasion of the Eves quite a bit... Without removing the possibility of a new family sprouting up nearby (gotta get new blood somehow to marry our kin off to! tongue)

Plus the thought of being surprised with an unexpected sibling, born at the same time as me, is thrilling!

I also like ideas others have had that would go nicely with this:

Pregnancy.
Mother-to-be gets Pregnant Belly instead of babies just popping out right away.
Pregnancy lasts for 1 minute and the future baby's player is carried in the belly for that 1 minute.
Mother-to-be can continue working, give village tour, and talk to unborn baby(s) about what life is like.
It's a fantastic learning opportunity for new players even if the mother decides not to say anything.

Adding in your idea with a twist (see below) could also add to this.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Another option:

Instead of /DIE resulting in a lineage ban, it results in some other state... a SKIP family state, where you add this family to your SKIP list (list of families you skipped).  If you run out of families, you don't become Eve.  Your SKIP list is cleared, and you start over again, going through the families.

My twist:

Using /DIE in the Pregnant Belly
- Would behave as it currently does and Lineage bans player from that family/Area.
- The Eve that spawns from doing this is AREA BANNED and spawns somewhere in the wild.
- This lets people wanting to legitimately play as Eves play how they like.
- Reduces the amount of Greifer Eves.
- Reduces the amount of Baby Bones.

Using /DIE after being born
- Would add family to the SKIP list.
- If people run out of families, they don't become Eve.
- Their SKIP list is cleared, and they start over again, going through the families.
- Running out of families for the second time does NOT clear the SKIP list.
- Instead they get a temporary, non-cursed visit to Donkey Town for one hour. (No permanent record)

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

Board footer