One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-26 04:35:35

BarnabyJones

Fog of War

Hello all, new(ish) player here. I've played a ton of this game since I've bought it, and I watched a lot of Twisted's videos before buying it and after, so I caught on rather quickly. To start off I enjoy the game. I think it brings a real challenge if put in the right situation. I realize I am way too green to have any real input yet before truly experiencing it thoroughly, but there are a few things I'd change (too many Eve's close together for one), and maybe one or two mechanics I'd add.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for suggestions, but I figured I'd add one to what I imagine is a stupidly long list; Fog of War. This takes me back to my Age of Empire days, one of the mechanics I loved about that game was Fog of War. Essentially, you couldn't see an area until it was "scouted", it appeared black on the map and screen until it was explored by a unit, units with higher vision had a higher Fog of War clearance diameter.

Now, how could this tie in to OHOL? It would be cool if Fog of War was shared between individual families. You could see what members of YOUR family have scouted, but the rest would remain a mystery. Obviously this is a dangerous proposition with snakes, wolves, bears, & boars, which is why it would be a job for Male members of the Family, the women would stay close to home and raise children, cook, farm, and some men would go off to build roads, mines, or just generally explore new territory. Men could possibly have higher Fog of War clearance as an incentive to have them scout, and maybe an Archery bonus to help them clear predators faster.

Let me know what you guys think or how it could be expanded to actually be a legitimate idea - it's just something I thought of as a new player that might add a new dynamic to game play.

Cheers!

Last edited by BarnabyJones (2019-05-26 04:38:50)

#2 2019-05-26 11:38:44

Guppy

Re: Fog of War

Wouldnt we need some kind of minimap for this? Or a craftable map at least.

Maybe a bit like maps work in minecraft?

#3 2019-05-26 12:49:09

kittykatthegreat

I really like this idea. Even if a mini map just showed bioms viewed by different members of the family i think it would being a lot more to the game.

#4 2019-05-26 13:21:13

paulof

Guppy wrote:

I agree, since we have paper in the game maps would be good. It's kind of frustrating to explore the lands and can't register anything.

#5 2019-05-26 19:29:26

BarnabyJones

Guppy wrote:

Maybe a bit like maps work in minecraft?

I have not used the zoom out mod, but have seen it in Vidoes, perhaps there could be a minimap in the bottom of the screen that had the same area of view as the zoom out mod. The map can be expanded by clicking on it. Again, not sure how to implement it into this game or if it's even a good idea, but I have always liked the mechanic and do think it could work in this game if the details were appropriately scrutinized

Last edited by BarnabyJones (2019-05-26 19:29:55)

Board footer