One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-25 13:09:43

Cookie

In your opinion, what is the weakest aspect of the game?

And what do you think should be a priority to fix/add/change?

#2 2019-05-25 13:44:07

futurebird

Re: In your opinion, what is the weakest aspect of the game?

Challenge for this question to name just one thing and not roll out a laundry list of complaints. If I had to pick just ONE thing it would be storage.

The general issue with items not being able to be contained. The lack of advanced storage options. The lack of things like mass storage for flour, poo, and other resources.

I want more tools to organize, more containers and more consistency with existing containers.

Basically this issue plus adding more mass storage and carting options.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/292

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-05-25 14:28:13

Booklat1

Jason not hiring a bugfix guy so he has more time for progressing content

either this or updates like paper, radios, photographs and fences. While they arent inherently awful (except fence gates) it takes a long time to fix the issues they create and for minimal benefit.

#4 2019-05-25 14:36:32

Spoonwood

Griefers.  And it should be possible to curse people from outside of one's lineages.

After that is not being able to get reborn into the same spot if 4 or more fertile females on the same server.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-05-25 14:38:44

Spoonwood

Booklat1 wrote:

Jason not hiring a bugfix guy so he has more time for progressing content

either this or updates like paper, radios, photographs and fences. While they arent inherently awful (except fence gates) it takes a long time to fix the issues they create and for minimal benefit.

What issues have radio caused?  Like I'm not saying that they are useful, but I'm not sure if you mean to imply that they cause a problem that I'm not aware of (paper leads to notes with silly things on them, fences lead to hoarders, unproductive people, some other issues, etc.).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-25 14:41:50

futurebird

Spoonwood wrote:

Griefers.  And it should be possible to curse people from outside of one's lineages.

After that is not being able to get reborn into the same spot if 4 or more fertile females on the same server.

This would be my 2nd pick. But, I put it second because I don't know if arguing for these kinds of changes is going against the "game philosophy" or not. I would love to be able to visit my towns again, and it's a little more possible now. Only need to wait 3 hours. But most towns don't last that long. I think 1 hour is a long enough wait for people who want to come back.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-05-25 14:55:13

karltown_veteran

You can't curse people not in your family. This is especially weak considering the murder rates w/sword have been extremely high.
If you want to make cursing less powerful you should just lower the span of time you have to curse before your curses become obsolete.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#8 2019-05-25 14:58:07

Baker

The late game in general, Lot's of useless technology and very little challenge besides dealing with griefers.

I hate that the trailer has a lot of stuff that seems like we'll never get at this stage.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#9 2019-05-25 15:07:21

karltown_veteran

Baker wrote:

I hate that the trailer has a lot of stuff that seems like we'll never get at this stage.

I think towns have been relatively advanced these days, actually... Plenty of bell towns and a lot of cameras, a few radios too. I remember that it was far less advanced when the hoeing update first came out and we lost our soil monopoly.. and then it was followed by having to put soil on berry bushes, compost wasn't as easy, we lost a lot of monopolies and everyone was annoyed because cities weren't bouncing back at first. City life has improved since then in my opinion, because we got used to it. The people who don't like the new updates might adjust to them too, and of course Jason might have other updates in store that will change the game again.

Last edited by karltown_veteran (2019-05-25 15:07:40)

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#10 2019-05-25 15:30:22

pein

lack of doing anything cause the game doesn't motivate you to do anything
you can eat food others make, you can wear clothes others made
heck you even can curse others for any reason, like mentioning the above facts

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#11 2019-05-25 15:35:15

Psykout

karltown_veteran wrote:
Baker wrote:

I think towns have been relatively advanced these days, actually... Plenty of bell towns and a lot of cameras, a few radios too. I remember that it was far less advanced when the hoeing update first came out and we lost our soil monopoly.. and then it was followed by having to put soil on berry bushes, compost wasn't as easy, we lost a lot of monopolies and everyone was annoyed because cities weren't bouncing back at first. City life has improved since then in my opinion, because we got used to it. The people who don't like the new updates might adjust to them too, and of course Jason might have other updates in store that will change the game again.

The ultimate grief, condition people to only know how to live in a cities that countless lineages have been in. Trigger the apocalypse, 75% of the playerbase doesn't know how to start from scratch. Obviously an exaggeration, but early game and big parts of mid game have been completely removed from the game.

My thoughts on weakest aspect of the game, a large part of the game has been made invalid - pioneering new settlements.

#12 2019-05-25 17:56:44

BerrypickerAF

Weakest aspect over the entirety of the game? Jason insisting on working alone. It doesn't necessarily mean it makes the game 'bad', but it results in a plethora of issues that most games don't have to deal with.
We're lucky there is such a small player base now, as I can hardly imagine Jason able to run support and work on updates/fixes for the game if we had a daily average of 1k players even.

Other than that i'm gonna have to agree with the storage issue being the single most persistent bother in the game. Even something like a tool shed or tool rack would make a huge impact, as it's an easy place we can all agree on to keep tools. Grain silo for the unending piles of grain, and a manure pit for sheep poo could solve some of these issues.

Oh and I rly want some seeds of whatever variate of tomato Jason put in the game, cus I'd kill for a bunch that would never spoil lol

#13 2019-05-25 18:10:04

MultiLife

The crafting guide so it's way more clear. Even visual, with sprites or such. It's near unusable. I still have issues with it. I need to be so precise what the item name is and I still manage to mess up the search every time...

One other thing I think is the food system. It's silly to starve while talking. I wish it could be better.

Last edited by MultiLife (2019-05-25 18:12:36)

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#14 2019-05-25 19:21:47

miskas

We definitely lack the feeling of belonging to a family lineage as we jump from family to family every other life. There is no point of considering a family as yours as you will probably don't see them again or even worse they might be your enemy in the next hour.  Why invest yourself emotionally on something so temporary. Being born to a family in Ohol right now is like a one night stand, don't get me wrong it can be fun and all but you won't be anxious all day to see your family lineage keeps up the good work.

What we need is emotional investment, to be anxious for our children to survive, to be eager to put effort and sacrifice ourselves to help them, and most of all we need a way to be shown that our offspring were grateful.
My suggestion is to give those emotionally invested players a mechanic that rewards them for doing so. We can make it so if one of your children bury you with a particular ceremony that you will be able to choose to return as a baby to your grandchild.  This will increase communication, strengthen the ties between generations and inspire the feeling of belonging.

(the spamming /die is not the way this is supposed to work. you don't choose your family, your family choose you)

Last edited by miskas (2019-05-25 19:28:03)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#15 2019-05-25 19:35:21

SpiritBomb32

Now just hear me out: ocean biomes. I know jason isn't keen on oceans and rivers but the way I'm talking is a biome sized pond, maybe it can be salt water to prevent people from using it to op farm. All you have to do is replace all entities and sprites in a biome already and add water textures. it also prevents you from moving, seas and oceans gave ancient people advantages with dealing with other civilizations, look at the greeks in italy, and with conflict in the game right now it would be a good strategy to build against a ocean biome and wall off other areas. maybe boats.

- "The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."
Add books, please Jason.

#16 2019-05-25 20:08:53

Friendly Isopod

Most lives feel the same. Every town is in a green biome near a swamp. Every town has sheep and a bakery and a smithing area and a berry and carrot farm, and there's not much difference between the towns because we are so hard pressed to survive that trying to make it any other way would kill us all.

And SpiritBomb32, that's a great idea. Ocean biomes would be fantastic and lead to more strategic placement of towns. If there were boats, it might be dangerous to have your town too close to the water or you'd risk naval invasions. Would be super cool if you could make boats and ride them across the water, but even without them oceans would be great.

#17 2019-05-25 22:13:13

testo

Complete lack of tech tree design: 

- Too short of a tech tree: good players climb up the tech tree fast enough to make it boring and harder to learn for the less experienced players, wich in return increases griefing and boredom because at engine pump you have little to do. With decent people gathering iron and making food gen 5/6 engine is more than doable.

- Lack of diversity in the tech tree: every town has the same needs and resources to use.

- Decresed attachment to each life, since every town and family are the same in terms of needs and crafting.

- Decreased importance of roles in each tech step, anyone can farm-smith-bake-make clothing with the same efficiency ingame.

- Lack of social components in the tech tree. Material advances are not the only way civilization evolved and social constructs are lacking severily: property, institutions, religion are a big hole in the game (and if you pay attention players are willing to use crowns, make shrines and hoard stuff, its just that the game mechanics dont allow them to play the way civilization evolved)

- Lack of diversity inside each step in the tech tree (so far the developing team seems to be dictating the town levels by the water availability, every step has the same activities to perform as long as you make water work)

I am not trying to bash the developing teams work, I honesly don´t see a design in progress.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#18 2019-05-26 01:31:56

wio

First and foremost would be late game challenge. This should to be done in a way that doesn't make the early game more difficult. There should be challenges unique to living with a higher population of people, such as waste and disease.

Second would be storage. More things should stack. More things should decay. We need more permanent forms of baskets. There should be specialized storage which stores only certain things but a higher number of them.

#19 2019-05-26 02:42:15

Dantox

Stuff to do on high-tier villages besides repetitive farming, baking and stuff

make bread, no war

#20 2019-05-26 02:49:39

RodneyC86

Character customization. Everyone feels and looks the same.

A random face generator
Slight random variation in adult height
Different level of 'meatiness' in the limbs

Also, please make cloth a good bit easier to make

#21 2019-05-26 07:41:42

breezeknight

what is the weakest aspect of the game ?

Jason's vision
& as second, Jason's way to pitch his game to players

he pitches it to players who like to build & craft but then kicks them in their gut with the next update while the things they yearn to play get shoved aside, because those don't fit into Jason's vision, something like freedom to protect yourself from being killed or birth control or baby sling or organization of crap ...

on the other hand, players who would theoretically be playing a PvP game in OHOL couldn't care less for a 2D game with cumbersome crafting & no PvP options, so even if Jason would start to pitch OHOL to those players, the number & quality of players wouldn't improve

& if someone should ask, what is Jason's vision for OHOL at all then ?
it could be  - To Make a Game for Griefers -
lol, what an endevour !

- - -

Board footer