One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-24 20:47:28

futurebird

futurebird the scavenger... all for nothing?

I was born a guy, not my favorite, but the town was in an exciting stage... 5 girl relatives and 3 women having kids, the area nearby was still rather lush and it seemed the place was growing. Filled with optimism for my new home I laid out rocks in a road to the tarry spot which was very close to town. The place seemed to have a bright future. Since there were 3 carts in town I didn't feel bad about doing some exploring. I wanted to find iron, but I knew that would be hard. I walked north for a long time than east and saw signs of a town much larger than ours.

In the past I would have stopped to talk and told them about our town, but I was worried about being killed a lone man with a cart can be mistaken for a thief... and TBH I would have been happier if the town had been in ruins so I could loot it. So, I scooted by, saying "Hi" to a baby and a few other words... maybe our people will meet in the future... but they had oil and so many roads and what was more likely is they would have taken what little we had and maybe tolerated our children-- maybe. It was a multi-family town. Perhaps that's why no one was that concerned with me.

I went on to the north and east and soon found what had been a great city... once. I was able to get two tanks of kerosine and some tools and feeling good about by finds I headed back to our camp.

I was careful to avoid the town on my way back. I looked even more suspicious with a cart filled with tools! I thought about bringing the kerosine to the big town, and giving it to them as a friendship gift... but what life could I have in a place like that? I couldn't learn the language... Were I a woman I think I might have done that. Brought the kerosine as a gift to give my kids a better shot at surviving.

But, my own family needed all the help they could get... the number of girls had crashed while I was gone. Looking at the tree it was all just natural deaths. By the time I got back there was just one woman left, and one of my brothers. I told them about the town but they seem underwhelmed with the kerosine tanks. Two tanks! But, who could use them? Maybe it would have been better if I left them.

I don't think our town will make it. Towns are so fragile--

Anyway, if you find a town all set up for the next stage with two mysterious tanks of kerosine, now you know why. They are not stolen, merely looted from the long dead. Perhaps some Eve will use them as a gift as I dreamed of using them. Or perhaps they will never be found again.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-05-24 21:02:38

Psykout

Re: futurebird the scavenger... all for nothing?

Earlier today when my town collapsed due to girls and the first pump failing after its second run my brothers and I loaded up all we could and brought carts of iron and backpacks to the nearest town. My expectations were low but we were allowed to join with open arms. Was really nice. If more players did this, instead of leaving resources spread out through dead towns we might see lines go longer than 5hrs.

#3 2019-05-24 21:17:30

futurebird

Psykout wrote:

Earlier today when my town collapsed due to girls and the first pump failing after its second run my brothers and I loaded up all we could and brought carts of iron and backpacks to the nearest town. My expectations were low but we were allowed to join with open arms. Was really nice. If more players did this, instead of leaving resources spread out through dead towns we might see lines go longer than 5hrs.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Think of all the tools and tanks of kerosine and cars and planes that just get lost. Players make so many wonderful things, if we could pool more of those resources it'd be incredible.

Also, I was kind of taken aback that the people in the large town I found had not discovered the un-looted abandon settlement so nearby. It was a long 8 biome walk from my home but only one biome away from them, but clearly they'd never been there.

If people won't leave town for such glorious loot I don't know WHAT will do it...

---
omnem cibum costis

#4 2019-05-24 22:06:12

Psykout

These days when I am born as a boy and the town doesn't need water tech I set home marker and head out. Don't come back till i have a horse cart and supplies. If town was a cluster, un organized, stuff planted everywhere with no rhyme or reason, i bring what i dind somewhere else. You can't throw a stone without finding something or someone.

#5 2019-05-24 23:10:17

pein

i was the second son of the girl you talking about

she was quite new/dumb
she was eating like 8 bushes until she raised me
she sponged berry in hopes of getting more kids
told her to makeyum in baby language but she just ate one more berry from bowl

bro was dumb as fuck, other than gearing himself up and taking all the knives, he just stood around

we had no water at all, the well went dry
me as a naked boy with a pack set myself with a bucket taken from stanchion kit and a bowl, filled with water
sister came, she was a very decent player, she started off fixing the bushes as a tiny kid
i realized we got no tech for kerosene and we are outpost
but mom went old and went afk, bro was buildign snowmans and sponging

me and sis fixed all berries, then told her to plant wheat
she became fertile and at least 2-3 girls suicide on her
then she went to get  clay as all bowl were filled
had a son who got firewood one by one when we had 2 carts i even upgraded one
sis asked me to do well upgrade and so i did
not sure where from we got 4 buckets of water
this dumb guy  cut 2 rubber trees from 4 in a spot
eventually i made an oven there

then she had 2 more sons, one was new and just ran around 20 years, other was making stew i think
she had no luck with girls anyhow
i didn't felt making the roller tech as too many things needed to be fixed
we had tarry spot both sides and very easy rubber making on the right
told a kid not to make steel as we need more iron for newcommen tech
i guess that 2 kero would have helped to focus on engine but the extra core was still needed first
ayway we died out but still played till end, if anyone finds it, it was quite decent camp and one cart will last
i didn't gridn too much, too much to fix and mom and bro were really awful, but sis was awesome just unlucky

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-05-24 23:21:23

futurebird

Yeah Pein that sounds about right. Towns just die like that all the time. It was so booming when I was born. It makes me wonder if I should have hung around to try to watch over the new players a bit more? Help them yum? But it would have seemed strange with the population so high when I got there.

Some of the time I think there should be some help from the game ... send girls to low population towns send boys to places with lots of people.... IDK.

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-05-25 02:45:00

Psykout

Hard to have a system that can recognize low pop + excess food though. If you don't have food around gettong a bunch of girls can burst the bubble. Back when eve camps were a thing i liked having the first few kids being boys because population was stable until we were ready to expand. That is if the boys end up being workhorses, if they aren't providing its better to have a girl that can pop out kids in 15min

Board footer