One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-23 10:17:59

pein

Walled cities, wpeople doing it wrong

So i see this "meta" fences because jason said we need to wall off cities
and i agree in some part, you need a safe zone, if yo uare last female and bad at pvp then just fall back and survive

BUT, so far what i seen is nor safe, nor aesthetic, nor useful

size:
i think they wall off like 9 screens, that's too bad, you rather have one springy door and a building full of food, and just send the females in when everythign falls

entrances:
now this is the biggest issue what i seen. either everyone locked in or it's not enclosed, or some people own it, or some sides are locked and need to go around
the proper way to do it is one way exit, and springy doors, early on you can use graves and tell someone to close after you
this three sides, it needs to be locked after you exit
the springy doors close up fast so you can lock it outside

p3Q07Sp.jpg

the main entrance needs to be near fire, where people can see if someone comes in or wants to come in
the bushes serve double purpose, give some food while you talk with them and prevent easy blocking of your exits (you can also use road)
the outside fence in front of exits makes it one way exit, until grave/door is in place, they cannot come in cause they cannot open it diagonally from outside
the picture is illustration, the property can be bigger, to fit farms and buildings, but the main thing is to be able to keep it closed, but optionally allow opening, it's annoying to go all the way around the place when the resources are just near it
if you got horses and it's some bad bieme right next to you rather don't make any entrance

obviously this are kind of only viable with spring doors one way, so you click on it, go out, and then come back in the main entrance

the other version:
FvdpzQB.jpg
make an airlock and one way entrance (only works with springy door, so they cannot go out the way they came in)
now this can function as Eve trap too
the gate blocks the ones who don't have access and allows to use normally both ways when you got access

the thing is, if you leave one single tile open they will find a way inside
so i don't see why should be huge fence
the bootstrap location aka ponds to make a small farm can be ignored, doesn't worth much
you can leave it outside a one way entrance

one kiln you can do tools then move next to a spring

after that, wall in something like 20x20
one entrance some placeholders for extra gates, like smashed adobe
fence for a horse (they can stop a horse and come in but not on foot)
chest, locked, open- drop resources and close from outside, key inside fence is totally fine

upgrade that to one way entrance with a gate behind a springy door

you can have a new fence area for kilns right away, outside the main 20x20, and a way in to it, maybe smashed adobe outside of it so they can exit
a good way to exit is havign a water pouch and a stone, so requires 1 water to go trough adobe then smash it back, get a water in pack o nthe way back

my point beeing is no newbee gonna fix a huge fenced area
and you either close the whole thing or nothing at all

gonna make screenshots next time i do it

don't bite more than you can chew, you can set outer perimeters afterwards
also you got more chances to clean out one sector than the whole city

N7umMJd.jpg
ofc bigger than this

what should be inside:
spring and a cistern
a berry farm of like 21 bushes (plenty of bowls than feeds quite big population just pick it all off)
advanced food like pies
clothes
weapons
possibly access to sheep
you can wait out attackers  doing proper compost cycle

what should be on outer ring:
forge
stew plants
sheep pen
planted trees

doesn't have to be square, an elongated rectangle so the two main exits north and south or east or west are close to fire, food, fences
long, so fits water, farm, oven

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer