One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-17 19:37:03

BlueDiamondAvatar

How I want to spawn: a suggestion for Jason

Some people like to play early towns.  Others like the relative stability of a mid tech town, where there's still a need for major improvements. And some people just want to crank out diesel engines and take pictures in sprawling cities with spread out families.

While there are many reasons players choose to SIDS or run as babies, the tech level of the community seems to be the most common.  This is based on my experience of twinning with other players.  While I'm fairly flexible with whatever shows up, I know what kind of town a lot of people on these forums will play in, and which ones they won't.

Now that we've switched to an eve spawn grid, there is no forcing function putting Eves out in new territories.  Eves already had an incredibly high failure rate (Only 10% of eve lineages have over an hour of fertility, according to hundersen's old analysis of the life log data.), but now the likelihood that they will successfully start a town in a NEW location is even lower, whether or not the eve lineage survival rate changes.

So we have two problems...no one is spawning in pristine wilderness anymore, and a lot of people refuse to play in a town that isn't at their preferred technology level.  Could we solve both of these with one solution?  Since we need some new function that directs eves to pristine as well as populated regions... why not let it be the player's choice?

In my ideal world, the settings screen for OHOL would have one more section.  Do you want to play in a low-tech region, a mid-tech region, or high-tech region?  The default option would leave this choice up to chance.

While there are lots of other key technologies that could be used...here's how i would tell these technology levels apart.  I'd define low-tech regions as areas in which there is NOT a newcomen atmospheric core, or one of the things made from it, anywhere between a given spring and its adjacent springs. A high-tech region would be an area where there IS a diesel engine or something made from it.  And a mid-tech region would HAVE newcomen atmospheric cores and their resulting products, but NOT HAVE diesel engines or their products.

In my ideal, choosing a tech level would not impact whether or not you are born as an eve or a baby.  Eve's spawned in mid-tech or high-tech regions would follow the current pattern.. spawning in places with higher populations.  But Eve's for low-tech locations would appear at springs that have not been visited by any players in the preceding week, while still being closest to existing mid and high-technology areas.  This generally means low-tech Eves would only spawn into regions that had been wiped in the last server reset, and have abundant natural resources.

While choosing the tech level we live our lives at would reduce some of the randomness... it won't change all of it.  Is your mom Tarr?  or a newbie?  Are you playing a boy or a girl?  A ginger or a rare dark male?   Did griefers kill the sheep just before you were born? 

There's already so much that varies between one life and another in OHOL - just because of the other players.  Letting us choose the technology level won't change the randomness much, seems likely to reduce SIDS rates and thus improve player experiences, and will provide a method for placing some eves in pristine locations, while preserving the tension new eves have created in established towns since the update.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#2 2019-05-17 20:42:33

Psykout

Re: How I want to spawn: a suggestion for Jason

I agree with this sentiment. Easiest way to dial in on this without actiively parsing whats in the tiles around a town in generational preference. If you are mostly spawning in towns under 10-15 generations you could expect to come into a town still working on deep well levels, but also might come into a restart. Players that often spawn in generations past 20-25 might find themselves in a branch off.

Because its more of a rarity, they might take the shorter end of the stick and live there. I know I would be less likely to be opposed to settling if it was once awhile that I was outside my preference.

#3 2019-05-17 21:08:02

BlueDiamondAvatar

Thanks Psykout.

I think number of generations would have worked in the old eve spiral spawning system, but with eve's adjacent to established cities, the number of generations a family has lived is no longer that indicative... lots of eve's have wool clothing they picked up from scavenging, and have higher technology goods available.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#4 2019-05-17 21:18:12

Psykout

Yeah very true, its a little wacky right now, and its more likely to be gen 1 doing compost rather than planting the first berries. Doesn't feel quite right.

#5 2019-05-18 08:07:02

pein

nah, my 3 gen town with the high skill trip squad looked better than most random gen 15 town except buildings, but maybe even that included
also town and generation can be misleading, in Haak lineage i led my Eve mom to Emberson city and i was a gen 2 kid, who made the first loom in the city
also it was already an outpost there so we started quite late tech, like 40 generations built things before us
same goes for bell towns

maybe age of the area? oldest and medium age of structures?

yeah, jason had an item survey just he would need to attach it to a spot where the baby fire is? a fire where most births happen
then scan around it 50 tiles maybe
the biggest difference in gen levels is buildings, while some young cities got buildign, the older they go, the more they got
also more garbage which is quite a dead end, like photo materials or carnitas

i guess trees and baskets also a good indicator

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer