One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-17 23:41:38

RodneyC86

Idea: Walls take up space in between tiles, not entire space itself

Okay so there has been quite a ruckus with the recent updates , specifically the war swords.

Jason is currently being accused of manipulating mechanics to force wall building .

In many games that involves tile placements, I always found it more elegant that walls can be placed between tiles rather than them needing an entire space for themselves

I think people are not building many walls because they simply take up too much space, imagine a very small building 4x4 space inside, supposed to be a bakery. This building will have 20 wall segments around it, which is surprisingly more space than the interior.

A 5x5 is the first size where the interior is bigger than area taken by the wall.

It's VERY difficult to justify losing that much real estate unless the benefits are huge, clutter is already a big problem without walls. And the fact that, most of time, and rightfully, people start with open air style of settlements since no one can afford walls yet. Even then later when you can start affording it, you got to admit having to wall area with one tile width boundary is a massive pain. The smiths especially will be furious.

I want ask, Jason, whether current programming doesn't ever allow for walls to be placed between tiles rather than on them.

I'm quite sure this will solve your people are not building walls problem. Walls will be easy to place, will not worsen clutter, it will still chase traffic issue if very poorly done but shouldn't be a big issue.

Also, adding warmth to homes even without a fire would help. In reality, indoors is always a tad bit warmer than outdoors, even with no fire. I'm very sure smiths would then very much be pleased, walls don't disturb their workspace, they get to warmup, therefore less bothered by food needs. And they get to watch people coming and going through their front door.

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-17 23:43:33)

#2 2019-05-17 23:51:06

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Idea: Walls take up space in between tiles, not entire space itself

This might be part of the story here, but I don't suspect it's the main issue.

Unfortunately, walls are not a special object in the game.... they are just like any other tile.  Making them work differently would require a pretty major overhaul to the engine.

#3 2019-05-17 23:54:25

RodneyC86

jasonrohrer wrote:

Unfortunately, walls are not a special object in the game.... they are just like any other tile.  Making them work differently would require a pretty major overhaul to the engine.

That's sad.

Well I know this bothers me, and therefore I never even learned to build walls.

Property fence was the only wall I built because it being super cheap compensates a bit but I still find it awful for making areas and buildings that you dream about.

#4 2019-05-17 23:56:23

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Walls probably still wouldn't be productive if they didn't take up space.  But, they would not be obstructive.  Kind of like how wood flooring not around farms ends up at present (useless, but not obstructive of most other projects, other than making buckets, carts, and shoes, of course).  Another issue with walls is the possibility of getting trapped inside of them.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-05-18 00:06:17

RodneyC86

So we have walls IRL because

Privacy ( irrelevant in game)
Security ( very relevant in real life and in game but I guess maybe it's an implementation issue and not working as intended)
Protection from elements ( in a way irrelevant currently, there is no weather)

So obviously only security matters for now, easy to see why Jason made swords

Maybe introducing weather will encourage shelters?

#6 2019-05-18 00:51:17

voy178

1. Make buildings good temperature-wise with the current size limit but instead of making the limit a square, make a specific number of tiles (built in any fashion or shape as long as it's walled) make up the max size limit of an effective building.

2. Introduce a lot more storage and stacking to make up for lost space

3. Make some things wither (like tools) if outside for too long in one go to incentivise storage

4. Make writing signs cheaper and less tedious so that we can connect better with towns and communicate functions to clueless citizens in our town.

That's how you fix us not having towns.

#7 2019-05-18 07:49:13

pein

they could still prevent placign other blocking structures on the two sides they face

i always found it common sense to not put anythign near wall like berry bushes
have free space two sides of a road
space out farms and kidna everything, others not really so maybe would need to enforce it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-05-18 08:17:45

CatX

voy178 wrote:

4. Make writing signs cheaper and less tedious so that we can connect better with towns and communicate functions to clueless citizens in our town.

In medieval ages, when most people couldn't read anyway, signs were pictures.
In Minecraft, you can put an item on a frame, and it effectively becomes a sign.
Perhaps OHOL could do something similar.

#9 2019-05-18 11:29:34

saxo

I don't think, either, that space is the main reason that walls are not constructed more frequently. However, maybe if only walls could be augmented with a cabinet or shelves, the extra storage might be another reason to make buildings. Also, two-story buildings would be cool and useful if space is limited.

Weather such as occasional rain seems like a great idea for a mechanic that encourages building more shelter. I also think seasons would be interesting, with meaningful implications for farming and storage, along with variable need for shelter. Fundamentally, I think the game currently needs more challenges/problems to solve, and, thematically, seasons and weather seems essential for a game with a focus on farming and body temperature.

#10 2019-05-18 12:36:18

futurebird

saxo wrote:

I don't think, either, that space is the main reason that walls are not constructed more frequently. However, maybe if only walls could be augmented with a cabinet or shelves, the extra storage might be another reason to make buildings. Also, two-story buildings would be cool and useful if space is limited.

A shelf that holds 8 large items in rows of 2? That's a reason to build a building!

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#11 2019-05-18 23:14:18

BladeWoods

Unfortunate that this can't be done

Board footer