One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-17 09:53:56

RodneyC86

Idea: Communing with spirits

I know we are all here men and women of science and scoff at the idea of mysticism, but one can't deny it played a huge part in early human civilization and their psyche.

What if, when a person dies, the player doesn't get thrown to the main menu right away but his spirit wanders around his dead body, yet he can't see anything or anyone...

Until someone decides to honour you with a grave and offering and commune with you! But this will only work if within say 10 minutes of death and the person who died stuck around and waited after death, otherwise the commune fails

I thought of this because there was once I was cartinf a full load of iron on the way home but got stupidly mauled by a wolf, I made it just to the village to say I lost an iron cart south east bit didn't get to warn them there are five wolves around it. I now worry whether they made it or also got bitten

If someone communed, I could tell the 'shaman' s a spirit and warn them, and maybe while at it I can stick around and see what they do with my haul.

I know this is more outlandish and not exactly scientific or logical but then I remember we have the damn Nosaj .

Last edited by RodneyC86 (2019-05-17 09:54:44)

#2 2019-05-17 11:53:07

CatX

Re: Idea: Communing with spirits

I'm in.

#3 2019-05-17 16:21:53

DestinyCall

And perhaps this would give people a reason to bury the dead.    If you are left unburied, you remain as a spirit for a period of time and can observe and interact with the world in a limited fashion.    How long you stick around depends on the age you died - baby ghosts vanish quickly and old people ghosts stick around for a much longer time. 

Valued family members would be given a proper burial to allow them to move on to the next life, perhaps after a seance to determine if they have anything to say to their loved ones.   But unfriendly ghosts could also be a problem.   Maybe allow ghosts to interact with objects once every minute.  This could be used by peaceful ghosts to warn the living and encourage someone to perform a seance to receive valuable intel.  Or used by malicious spirits to disturb the town and upset their work if they have neglected the dead or left too many murder vicitms unburied.

#4 2019-05-17 16:26:16

Toxic
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

And perhaps this would give people a reason to bury the dead.    If you are left unburied, you remain as a spirit for a period of time and can observe and interact with the world in a limited fashion.    How long you stick around depends on the age you died - baby ghosts vanish quickly and old people ghosts stick around for a much longer time. 

Valued family members would be given a proper burial to allow them to move on to the next life, perhaps after a seance to determine if they have anything to say to their loved ones.   But unfriendly ghosts could also be a problem.   Maybe allow ghosts to interact with objects once every minute.  This could be used by peaceful ghosts to warn the living and encourage someone to perform a seance to receive valuable intel.  Or used by malicious spirits to disturb the town and upset their work if they have neglected the dead or left too many murder vicitms unburied.

Malicious spirit I’m dieng lol smile
But it’s a pretty cool idea I would love to see ghosts picking up my shovel and putting it 200 tiles behind a tree.

#5 2019-05-17 16:29:14

Ari-ori-412

Toxic wrote:

But it’s a pretty cool idea I would love to see ghosts picking up my shovel and putting it 200 tiles behind a tree.

maybe spirits can only wander so far from their grave? perhaps like 50 tiles?

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#6 2019-05-17 16:30:38

pein

i seen 1600 year old bones big_smile
would you wait that? big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-05-17 16:31:13

RodneyC86

Toxic wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Careful Toxic, don't relapse.

I'm actually of the mind that spirits shouldn't be able to do more than speak to the channeler, and maaaybe the closest family can hear faint whispers only.

Last thing we need is a griefer ghost who can still stir shit even after death

#8 2019-05-17 16:32:31

RodneyC86

pein wrote:

There's a limit to my idea, if a bone is not buried in 10 minutes , it is considered forgotten and the spirit has no chance of being channeled, a second death if you will

Day of the dead anyone?

#9 2019-05-17 16:32:31

Ari-ori-412

pein wrote:

maybe you go back in a hour or two automatically but if you are buried you get to go back quicker!

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#10 2019-05-17 16:34:49

CatX

I'd like to see protector spirits who pay attention when other people are busy and kick griefers' butts.

Board footer