One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-16 13:55:29

Cox

Hotfix went wrong... i suppose

I had been trying to play Eve after new hotfix, so i mashed /DIE command and this is my result.

I spawned as Eve seven out of eight times in EXACTLY same spot. Maybe it is made intentionally, but this spot sucks, all bananas nearby are eaten, some resources are deplted and there are skeletons everywhere. You must run far away from this place to start build something.

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#2 2019-05-16 13:57:14

Tarr
Banned

Re: Hotfix went wrong... i suppose

You have to kill your baby with a bow to area ban yourself to a spot if it's bad. Apparently I wasn't wrong in thinking that it was important for this to be a known fact.

fug it’s Tarr.

#3 2019-05-16 14:09:29

lychee

The eve spawning sites recycle immediately so when you die, it’s pretty likely the next one will spawn close to the same place.

Like Tarr said, you can try to get yourself area banned, or build a shallow well on the spawning site to kill it forever.

#4 2019-05-16 14:11:31

Buggy

Ty Tarr I haven't shot a baby in game yet but if I want to eve maybe I should start practicing.  They are pretty fast and cute sad I really didn't want to shoot babies. How do I completely detach from caring about murder to make this possible?

#5 2019-05-16 14:20:04

Tarr
Banned

This actually has a really nasty consequence. It's possible for towns or anyone really to "trap" Eve spawns. If you block the area around an Eve spawn you'll be able to entrap players spawning on the spring which means it's impossible to play off the spring while constantly having someone respawn to it.

fug it’s Tarr.

#6 2019-05-16 14:25:30

CatX

Buggy wrote:

Ty Tarr I haven't shot a baby in game yet but if I want to eve maybe I should start practicing.  They are pretty fast and cute sad I really didn't want to shoot babies. How do I completely detach from caring about murder to make this possible?

How to murder a baby.

I wonder if this forum is on some secret service list of suspicious sites yet.

#7 2019-05-16 14:31:05

Buggy

It is better to let the eve shoot you if you are a baby of course. So it can become a fun activity to do with your eve mom let's collect an arrow baby this will all be over soon .

#8 2019-05-16 14:33:58

RodneyC86

Buggy wrote:

Let’s quote this on social media XD

#9 2019-05-16 14:47:17

lychee

Inb4 locked property fence around the spring site.......

#10 2019-05-16 15:21:28

DestinyCall

Tarr wrote:

This actually has a really nasty consequence. It's possible for towns or anyone really to "trap" Eve spawns. If you block the area around an Eve spawn you'll be able to entrap players spawning on the spring which means it's impossible to play off the spring while constantly having someone respawn to it.

Eve traps.   Finally a practical use for property fences.

#11 2019-05-16 15:24:04

DestinyCall

CatX wrote:
Buggy wrote:

How to murder a baby.

I wonder if this forum is on some secret service list of suspicious sites yet.

Wait ... does it have to be YOUR baby?   I think I might find it easier to kill someone else's baby.

#12 2019-05-16 15:39:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this is working as it should be.

And yes, there are big problems here.

Though there are 37 new Eves every hour, so there should be some overlap in their lives, meaning that various spring sites should be explored (even if an Eve is trapped by one that is fenced in, while she lives, other Eves will spawn elsewhere.

In general, assuming that you aren't really trapped, you can walk away from your spring and find a better one.  As long as your line remains alive, that "bad spring" will not be used by any other Eve spawn.  So, block the bad spring by surviving, dammit!

Gosh, this is such a hard design problem to solve.

The old code blocked each Eve spring for an hour, whether or not Eve was still alive, and thus, at 37 Eves per hour, it tended to walk across the map to greener pastures constantly, spreading civ out more than it should be spread.

Maybe there needs to be some kind of use count on each spring, and then the spring gets decommissioned after too many Eves have failed there?

#13 2019-05-16 16:00:58

Tarr
Banned

yN8sOWD.png
kQN0AvJ.png

Took a few attempts but figured it out. This is definitely a problem as someone can potentially spawn near an area with high Eve activity and just start blocking all the Eves in causing a bunch of Eves stuck in limbo. While hilarious that this is possible there probably needs to be something done to prevent this sort of thing.

fug it’s Tarr.

#14 2019-05-16 16:03:06

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

Though there are 37 new Eves every hour, so there should be some overlap in their lives, meaning that various spring sites should be explored (even if an Eve is trapped by one that is fenced in, while she lives, other Eves will spawn elsewhere.

In general, assuming that you aren't really trapped, you can walk away from your spring and find a better one.  As long as your line remains alive, that "bad spring" will not be used by any other Eve spawn.  So, block the bad spring by surviving, dammit!

The old code blocked each Eve spring for an hour, whether or not Eve was still alive, and thus, at 37 Eves per hour, it tended to walk across the map to greener pastures constantly, spreading civ out more than it should be spread.

Maybe there needs to be some kind of use count on each spring, and then the spring gets decommissioned after too many Eves have failed there?

Do springs still spawn in all biomes except desert and tundra?     I'm thinking it would help quite a bit if they were limited to spawning in grasslands.    And if the spring acted as a pond/water source immediately to help boot-strap Eves that land in a water-less spawn location.    There will still be good spots and bad spots, but if you remove the jungle/badlands/swamp/prairie spots from the mix, it will significantly improve the chances that the Eve can find a viable camp location within a reasonable distance from her spring. 

Also ... perhaps it would be a good idea to consider having the Eves spawn in clusters.    Instead of the Eve spawn locations "walking" across the map to reach new pastures ... perhaps they should "skip".    Have a central location and spawn several Eves at the various grasslands biomes around this central point.   Then after a certain period of time or number of spawns, move the central spawn location and start spawning a new cluster of Eves around a different location.    This would provide everyone with a good chance at having one or two neighbors without forcing Eves to re-use areas that have been repeatedly rejected by countless previous Eves or picked clean of natural resources to the point that they are now unlivable.

With this kind of spawn mechanic, you should find other villages in the same or adjacent grasslands while exploring around your village and there will usually be a spring located close to natural soil deposits and branches that you will need to start an early camp.

#15 2019-05-16 16:07:53

Cox

jasonrohrer wrote:

So, block the bad spring by surviving, dammit!

but..but we are doing all this not to annoy you, we are just testing and pointing out some patology (by making other patology) roll

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

#16 2019-05-16 16:23:52

pein

jasonrohrer wrote:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6486

read my suggestion, you could modify some stuff, the random map and the grid is quite bad combo right now

yeah you spawn at medium heat so you can run quite far until you become hungry
maybe respawn the bananas a bit or reset around the spring?

if you consider springs as a center of biome then you could regen the whole biome cleaning previous traces and even remaking the whole map site

maybe some sort of action like making a primitive item that bans the spot
or just after 10 failed Eves in a spot would ignore it for a while

but to be fair, a good eve can run away from a site and the bad map part suggest that something around it is good just bit further so all this eves would find a town once they can run out of the bad zone not sure how viable it is to live near others tho

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#17 2019-05-16 17:55:23

DestinyCall

pein wrote:

maybe some sort of action like making a primitive item that bans the spot
or just after 10 failed Eves in a spot would ignore it for a while

We could build a shrine out of dead babies to ward off future Eves from that spawn site.

#18 2019-05-16 19:13:52

Jk Howling

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yeah guys, jeez. Just survive in the shitty unlivable area or walk 1k tiles to find a better area, gosh. What's the problem??? Oh you mean there's springs that are literally unlivable in terms of spawn and regardless of this, people are respawning there repeatedly? That's not an issue obviously. Every spring is livable! That spring in the middle of the jungle without a grassland for miles is totally livable! You just have to spend your entire life running back and forth with all the necessary items! /s

Seriously Jason, if you're gonna force us to spawn at the same spring over and over again, then for god's sake do something to give them all at least a chance at being viable. We're sitting at the same exact problem we had when it was ponds and not springs that turned into wells: A village has to be at a specific biome mix [grassland+swamp] or else it's not getting past gen 2.

You need to reduce our need for ponds by giving us the ability to bootstrap until iron automatically, regardless of the spring placement. It's as simple as giving the spring some water usage before wells, like Ponds used to be. Alternately, you could force 2-3 ponds to spawn near every spring, but that would get messy quickly I think..

However, reducing our need for the grassland biome isn't possible without some major changes in spawning locations for a lot of necessary items [milkweed, the assorted branch trees, early foods+seeds, saplings, soil]. So simple solution is just to push springs to only spawn in these biomes. Give every spring at least a decent chance at being viable this way, instead of the foolish notion of forcing people to spawn in unviable locations time and time again thinking it'll improve gameplay.

-Has ascended to better games-

#19 2019-05-16 19:32:22

Booklat1

Jk Howling wrote:

Seriously Jason, if you're gonna force us to spawn at the same spring over and over again, then for god's sake do something to give them all at least a chance at being viable. We're sitting at the same exact problem we had when it was ponds and not springs that turned into wells: A village has to be at a specific biome mix [grassland+swamp] or else it's not getting past gen 2.

You need to reduce our need for ponds by giving us the ability to bootstrap until iron automatically, regardless of the spring placement. It's as simple as giving the spring some water usage before wells, like Ponds used to be. Alternately, you could force 2-3 ponds to spawn near every spring, but that would get messy quickly I think..

However, reducing our need for the grassland biome isn't possible without some major changes in spawning locations for a lot of necessary items [milkweed, the assorted branch trees, early foods+seeds, saplings, soil]. So simple solution is just to push springs to only spawn in these biomes. Give every spring at least a decent chance at being viable this way, instead of the foolish notion of forcing people to spawn in unviable locations time and time again thinking it'll improve gameplay.

This

#20 2019-05-16 19:47:49

Cox

Yes. and even more this.

Jk Howling wrote:

My english sucks.
JASON PLZ

Board footer