One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-14 13:37:56

Amon

The island map?

The island map or any other way to limit the map idea was sprung a long time ago in one of jason's idea posts.
I found it quite interesting and many people as well, I wonder what happned to that idea?

Seems almost fitting, or at least to try out once.
Kinda knick out the infinite in the maps and see how that plays along.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#2 2019-05-14 14:27:00

Dodge

Re: The island map?

Despite what some people say the earth is round, why should it be different in ohol.

Having a limited map would be what turns the game into "we have infinite ressources so it doesn't matter what we do with it" to "ressources are limited so each action counts".

It's probably not a good idea to do it right now (unless the map is big enough) because currently iron is a finite ressource that is essential to the game, so players would have no chance to "win" and everything would be doomed no matter what is done.

It could be either delimited by a sea, making the map an island or it could be a round map that brings you to the same place if you go in a straight line long enough.

#3 2019-05-14 14:42:28

lychee

OHOL is sort of like Conway's Game of Life. Civilization spreads like wildfire and goes up equally fast into smoke.

Since resources are quite finite (and easily exhaustible), and infinite map is critical to the continued propagation of player settlements.

If the map is turned finite, some major balancing changes need to be made to resources so that they're more renewable. The tough part about OHOL is that the game favors advanced settlements over young ones -- so there needs to be a balancing element that provides instability to advanced settlements, allowing there for there to be constant turnover.

#4 2019-05-14 16:34:15

Amon

It already kind of is a limited resouce, iron I mean and many more, theres only so much one can go out before all resources within travel distance are depleted.
And mind, this idea has been discussed quite a long while ago and could've been a possible alternate reality by now, but it seems to me at least, fitting more than before with the kind of route the game is taking.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

Board footer