One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-08 13:56:19

Bob 101

Should suicide be limited?

We all hate /die babies, Runners even more so. I hate the idea of free suicide, People make snap judgements within seconds.

Some ideas I've seen.

Respawn Timer: You have wait some time between Respawns. Won't effect people living normally but will inconvenience suicide babies. I'd say 3-5 mins would be enough.

Imobile babies: Can't be a runner if you cannot run. It'll probably increase the rate of mothers abandoning kids when they are out of town though.

Universal lineage ban: Often runners are people who want to see other towns first. With this you have to live with whatever you get or risk every other town being awful.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-05-08 14:04:38)

#2 2019-05-08 13:59:13

Whatever

Re: Should suicide be limited?

The main issue is that people cannot choose where/how they want to play.
Its hard to get back to a previous village.
Do you want to play as boy or girl? boys are useless
Do you want to play as eve? In a big city? In a small village?

You see babies commit suicide and think this is the problem, but this is just the side effect of other problems.
If those people dont want to play, you cant force them to play.

Last edited by Whatever (2019-05-08 14:03:30)

#3 2019-05-08 14:59:34

futurebird

I think babies should be a little slower for the first year, like slow enough that anyone can catch them.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-05-08 15:29:34

FeignedSanity

Yeah, I agree that this issue is just a side effect of other problems. But I disagree that the main issue is that you cannot choose where/how you want to play. I feel like that is also a side effect. But it's definitely a hard problem to solve, without basically gutting the core concept of the game.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#5 2019-05-08 15:47:05

Psykout

Whatever wrote:

You see babies commit suicide and think this is the problem, but this is just the side effect of other problems.

We often forget there is a person on the other end that also has to agree to putting an hour into that village. We can't expect that every baby we get, no matter how needed they are, will want to stay. It comes down to personal preference and enjoyment.

Many people hate being boys because they can't stop a lineage from dying out from lack of babies. I like being a male because I can work without worrying about fertility and babies, leave town more often and such.

Some people hate/suck at eve camps, and don't want to be a part of them. Some want to be at mid game to lay down the town foundation, some like big cities because food isn't as much of an issue and they can do highest tier of tech.

You can't stop people from wanting to seek enjoyment when playing a video game. The best thing you can do is have systems in place to put them in situations that THEY prefer more often. At the moment the only system we have in place is /die, which obviously is frustrating to one half of the playerbase. If there was a way to be more likely to spawn into a town at the generations you like playing, usage of /die perhaps would take a dive.  If 8/10 lives you spawned into a camp you preferred, that one or two times you spawn in a camp you don't want to be in, you'd be more likely to tough it out, rather than /die.

Most towns between gen 1-5, 5-10, 10-20+ are usually around the same stages as each other. Being able to set that as a preference would be neat, if it was tweaked properly.

#6 2019-05-08 16:26:26

futurebird

1. Make a home marker and hit it with a mallet to get a "deep" home marker. You can only have one at a time just like regular home markers. After 30 min. of *real* (not in-game) time passes you have a preference to be born near that marker PROVIDED one of your DIRECT decedents is there and alive. This could also be done by having your kids burry your bones with a headstone and that could function in the same way to bring you back.

2. When you use /die, the next life will *always* be the other gender. This would cause gender /die babies to use it a little less. They would only need to use it once to get to their preferred gender.

3. The size of town would also alternate. This could be done by sending a player to much higher or lower generation level with each respawn.

4. If the average age of your last 5 lives falls under 20 you have to wait 10 min. to play the game.  /die would be counted in this average. You would get a warning something like "you seem to be a weak sprit who cannot live for long, take a break to increase your focus" This would impact /die babies, runners and other nonsense.

5. Add a preview where you watch your mom for 20 seconds before you are born. You are born 20 seconds old already. Unlike the old version of this idea you can't use /die until you are born but you'd see your mom get the bump, start getting ready for you and maybe be more inclined to stay.

6. In order to be Eve you need to have an average life span for your last 5 lives of 50. Or have one of the highest averages on the server at that time. No more spamming /die to get to be Eve. If you want to be Eve live to 60 every time. Then you'll get the chance.

7. Put a "no Eve" option in the settings menu so people who HATE being eve can avoid it. Too many people want to do it to have someone in that role who hates it. 

I say we do ALL of these ideas.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-05-08 16:30:23)

---
omnem cibum costis

#7 2019-05-08 16:35:40

pein

your town looks shit, that's one problem

people quit shit looking towns

if they suicide right away they want to be eves

i think allowing people to choose Eve or a range of generation would help
also limiting Eve number and limiting babies, linking them to tech

right now the only thing that limits pop is number of females
a gen 3 camp with 3 girls gets 3 babies a time, gets out of control and in half hour people area ban themselves
hen it's done so
people should need a limit of like 5 female 5 male then increase tech to increase pop

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-05-08 16:37:51

Tarr
Banned

futurebird wrote:

1. Make a home marker and hit it with a mallet to get a "deep" home marker. You can only have one at a time just like regular home markers. After 30 min. of *real* (not in-game) time passes you have a preference to be born near that marker PROVIDED one of your DIRECT decedents is there and alive. This could also be done by having your kids burry your bones with a headstone and that could function in the same way to bring you back.

2. When you use /die, the next life will *always* be the other gender. This would cause gender /die babies to use it a little less. They would only need to use it once to get to their preferred gender.

3. The size of town would also alternate. This could be done by sending a player to much higher or lower generation level with each respawn.

4. If the average age of your last 5 lives falls under 20 you have to wait 10 min. to play the game.  /die would be counted in this average. You would get a warning something like "you seem to be a weak sprit who cannot live for long, take a break to increase your focus" This would impact /die babies, runners and other nonsense.

5. Add a preview where you watch your mom for 20 seconds before you are born. You are born 20 seconds old already. Unlike the old version of this idea you can't use /die until you are born but you'd see your mom get the bump, start getting ready for you and maybe be more inclined to stay.

I say we do ALL of these ideas.

1. Sure, I would always prefer to have some sort of way back into a village that isn't waiting 24 hours or playing the game for three hours on one account to get access to a town I'd prefer to play in. This in general seems fine.

2. I don't ever /die if I'm born the wrong gender I just run. If you want to play somewhere (or at least when I do) playing female is almost always the right choice. Why risk running into no children when at the very least you can make sure someone reached infertility.

3. So run, /die, run /die until correct gender?

4. Punishing new players is bad. The first lives are always some of the hardest and giving them a ten minute wait because they have difficulty learning is bad. This would also just lead to people griefing instead of standing around at a ten minute wait screen which is also bad.

5. I don't know about anyone else but even sitting around for twenty seconds I know when I'm staying or not from a quick look. I only play a few lives a day when I play so I'm more selective about where I'm going to play in the first place so whether or not she asks me to stay I'm out if it hits one of my "fail" criteria.

fug it’s Tarr.

#9 2019-05-08 16:44:28

DestinyCall

I'd love to see a "pregnancy" feature added to the game.   However, I would allow /die during that time with no bones left behind if you decide to move on.    No interruption to the mother's work for babies that didn't want to live.    The pregnancy time would count towards your one hour of life, so the amount of time spent as a helpless baby would be no different.    After being born, you could still /die for another 30 seconds.    The pregnancy state would let your mother know that a baby was incoming, so she could prepare for its arrival and the "overlook" time would allow incoming players to scope things out and decide if they were okay with sticking around.  People would still die, I'm sure, but at least you wouldn't have to deal with bones if someone took one look at your spot and decided it wasn't worth his time.    They could just boop in and boop right back out again.

If you want to curb serial die-baby, I think the cool-down timer would be the most effective punishment.   Five minute cool-down would be reasonable.    Add a countdown timer to the death screen.    If it has been less than five minutes since the last time you died, then you have to wait to be reborn.     Most people, even new players, can survive for five minutes.   And if they are so new that they keep dying immediately, the death screen provides a link to the tutorial, so they can go back and play the tutorial while they wait.     So the main people who would be impacted by a death cool-down would be people who shop around for the best village or someone who wants to Eve, so they are trying to get banned from all active lineages.   The addition of a cool-down timer would slow down the process and make death less convenient for them.    They could still do it, but it would cost more time and effort, so more people would settle for the life they were given rather than trying to re-roll the dice.    People are lazy ... so even a small barrier can act as a deterrent.

#10 2019-05-08 18:18:25

Spoonwood

Whatever wrote:

I agree on every point, except the point about boys/men.  Men can get out of town and not have to worry about children and get resources like iron, rope, turkery, seal skin, or wolf skin.  They can also get more done at the forge without the problem of a baby popping out of a mom's womb just when she lite a fire in the forge (it's not that bad actually, the baby won't starve if you don't pick the baby up until the fire goes out... head block from the baby is the main issue).  That said, the value of men has a wider variance.  A vet playing as a man can be a huge assest.  A new player playing as a man, well that person is learning and it's understandable for them, but they probably don't pull their weight (in that life).  And sure, men don't end up useful to the lineage if the fertile women all die out or get old.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#11 2019-05-08 18:25:07

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

Yep.  That part about quitting towns that look bad, well, if I see stone walls like 2 tiles below the forges I might just quit.  I might stay and try to move the kilns, but even if I don't plan on forging that life, I'd end up feeling sorry for anyone trying to smith in such a cramped area due to someone who 'must build building', because Jason mistakenly promotes them as good or something.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#12 2019-05-08 21:56:12

Bob 101

pein wrote:

right now the only thing that limits pop is number of females
a gen 3 camp with 3 girls gets 3 babies a time, gets out of control and in half hour people area ban themselves
hen it's done so
people should need a limit of like 5 female 5 male then increase tech to increase pop

I was in Lettsome (I think) Gen 60 city. It had a nice organised farm with 3x3 Plots divided by wood, With cisterns between.

They had TWO diesel pumps and easily accessible Oil Rig connected to road. You probably helped make that town.

EVEN THEN lots of suicide babies.

I agree that people suicide more in bad towns but that isn't the sole reason. Towns are also shit because nobody wants to improve them, Different issue though.

The bigger problem is runner babies who get born to you multiple times and cockblock others from being born to you.

#13 2019-05-08 22:12:19

honikker

One can easily choose to Eve by hopping onto an empty server. You'd likely get as many children there as you do on bigserver what with all the picky /die cowards.

Universal lineage ban: Often runners are people who want to see other towns first. With this you have to live with whatever you get or risk every other town being awful.

I like this.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#14 2019-05-08 22:16:09

The_Anabaptist

Why can't /die have a counter.  Every time you /die you increment the counter.  At some point a counter starts to equal 5 years off your maximum life.  Once you have lived to your new maximum life, a set number of counters gets removed.  This could allow for a couple /dies, but makes it diminishing returns after the first x of them.

The_Anabaptist

#15 2019-05-08 22:28:55

Twisted

The_Anabaptist wrote:

Why can't /die have a counter.  Every time you /die you increment the counter.  At some point a counter starts to equal 5 years off your maximum life.  Once you have lived to your new maximum life, a set number of counters gets removed.  This could allow for a couple /dies, but makes it diminishing returns after the first x of them.

The_Anabaptist

/die is not the problem, /die is a mechanic that makes the suicide problem less problematic. It's there to reset the mother's birth cooldown.

If there's ANY downside to using the /die command babies will just run away and starve instead, which would be disastrous for the mothers.

#16 2019-05-09 02:40:45

DaTrüf!

Bob 101 wrote:

We all hate /die babies, Runners even more so. I hate the idea of free suicide, People make snap judgements within seconds.

Some ideas I've seen.

Respawn Timer: You have wait some time between Respawns. Won't effect people living normally but will inconvenience suicide babies. I'd say 3-5 mins would be enough.

Imobile babies: Can't be a runner if you cannot run. It'll probably increase the rate of mothers abandoning kids when they are out of town though.

Only one group gets blame on this issue - the community

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#17 2019-05-09 02:45:12

futurebird

I think being Eve should be a reward for living till 60 like 5 times in a row. I've been sooooo good about not using /die but I haven't had an Eve run for like a week and I'm about to just give up on being "good" and living whatever life I get as best I can and just spam my way into the forest. Talk me out of it.

---
omnem cibum costis

#18 2019-05-09 03:40:34

DestinyCall

futurebird wrote:

I think being Eve should be a reward for living till 60 like 5 times in a row. I've been sooooo good about not using /die but I haven't had an Eve run for like a week and I'm about to just give up on being "good" and living whatever life I get as best I can and just spam my way into the forest. Talk me out of it.

Try a low pop server first.   They are actually quite pleasant.

#19 2019-05-09 05:22:37

pein

with my bro we tested chaining back to each other
i think it was a limit that you need to pick up kid once to suicide without banning you
but when you wanna get back you want the same player back ,then you cant suicide (only if the mom goes out of the area)
there is a bit of random, even on empty servers
if the kid is fed once, then by the time it dies, around 50% can come back again
or a half minute later
so if you argue too much about it, you actually lose out

you think its yum and hear and all that stuff, but what really happens is that you got a handful of people and a handful of towns, and when a kid suicides on you, you dont get the next kid cause might not be a next kid
and just because your status reset, you still not guaranteed to be first

so quite often, better choice to feed the son once then forget to feed him
and he can come back as a girl

either that or make an outpost, now is easy to measure 200 tiles, 5 springs away, go there anad people arent area banned anymore

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer