One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-05-04 17:36:44

Booklat1

Should we break pumps as soon as we can?

The idea is drawing as much water as we can and placing in cisterns. When the pump breaks we tell everyone that's all water left and we need oil + steel.

This way we have a large enough window before water runs out in which machinery can be made/oil can be found. Do you guys agree?

#2 2019-05-04 17:45:13

Joseph Stalin

Re: Should we break pumps as soon as we can?

what do you mean "break pumps"

#3 2019-05-04 17:48:43

Wuatduhf

This update should be less focused on the idea that we need to "empty" wells as soon as possible, but that we are going to need to ramp up our production of cisterns in the centralized area of town's agriculture and kitchen.

#4 2019-05-04 19:59:02

Booklat1

Joseph Stalin wrote:

what do you mean "break pumps"

i meant exactly what i said in the post, despite the clickbait title

Wuatduhf wrote:

This update should be less focused on the idea that we need to "empty" wells as soon as possible, but that we are going to need to ramp up our production of cisterns in the centralized area of town's agriculture and kitchen.

I'm absokutely sure that is true but doesn't mean we can"t start optimizing already. You'll want to be prepared when that water runs out.

#5 2019-05-04 22:36:02

Spoonwood

People who do oil or diesel engines often need kindling and sometimes more iron.  Sure you can try the cistern strategy, but if so putting one cistern on the space directly one tile to the right of the engine can help improve the diesel engine making process.  A cistern out by a rig or tarry spot can help also.  But really, if you know how to do oil or a diesel water pump (I don't know if you do booklat, maybe  you do.. if you do this comment I still think it worth it for others), get on that!  It's complex and efficiency matters since inefficency means wasted water.

Also, wild milkweed comes as more abundant now.  So, one way to help comes as probably making buckets and/or getting the appropriate rubber up (it's NOT all cooked rubber tires, you need those, but also a vulcanized rubber belt or two).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-05-04 23:03:25

pein

well, it was always an option to grind to buckets, then you can farm anywhere
i still don't think people gonna make more engines or even newcommens

makign a cistern near soil pits cost you 10 stones and a limestone
you can pickaxe cistern when no soil around and you don't want or need it there
you lose the limestone only, you can make new quicklime/plaster and move the cistern when is empty

the extra buckets are good for milk and rubber but 4 buckets in a cart should be enough to get you water

sure, now you can make soil with composting, so you don't actually need to move, but maybe transport water from the 4diagonals into a central farm

also that ponds don't last means you don't have to have berry farms near ponds, omg those ponds in mdidle of bushes the dumbest thing ever anyway

so instead we can make a cistern anywhere, then a + or X shape road from it, then plant bushes (5x5 without the diagonals is 14 bushes)
and be more focused on using it optimally, like picking into bowls and restarting the timers

you cant make engines without breaking the well so essentially you got a fixed amount of water in them which is better to be taken
i think you can directly upgrade from normal shallow to engine but then again if you made newcommen once, those parts can be used to make new newcommen on adjacent springs, and  get charcoal there and get out the water from it

now if anytime in future someone makes an engine, having the cistern there is good, so desroying cistern is not a godo idea, you can generally get 10 stones fast from wilderness, jump on horse cart and get 12 each time, even if you carry food, with apron and pack you can get 16

we rather need a meta where we transport from cistern to cistern
one fence for horse nearby cistern and just transport water in buckets where is needed

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-05-04 23:37:45

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

makign a cistern near soil pits cost you 10 stones and a limestone

But if you settle far into grassland then the maples and poplars and yews end more likely to get more often (of course, that's not a problem for the right group), since people will value space over the benefits of regenerative branches either because they don't know about branches and understand how much kindling you want, or because they just insist on having space instead of walking around tree.  Sure, if you have a huge grassland, that can be a non-problem.  But, we can't exactly say how big the grassland is when talking about the meta.

Danish Clinch.

#8 2019-05-05 00:01:24

pein

you will have water acces in other spots too
a spring in the savanah means you can plant a small farm next to it
so you need 20 stones next to a spring and 20 charcoal
10 for well, 10 for cistern and 20 branches for each spring
sure you can make a kiln and produce charcoal on the spot
if you plant trees before 30, they will surely grow out if you water before 30 then you can water at the end of your life
maybe even plant those trees in a pen shape, with a bottom of stone blocks to have a pen near each usable spring

chances are that you will find a spot with a spring in separate good biomes, they tend to come in makprity, like ice has a lot of ice around but on other side of an ice biome, generally it's no more ice for a long while

outposts can be much better than starter towns as you can run around with a horse until you find a springs to upgrade and choose something that has  separate biomes for each spring, and you don't rely on swamps anymore (2 sets of plates and 2 sets of bowls in a cart enough for a while and enough adobe for 2 kilns and an oven =10)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#9 2019-05-05 02:39:05

Spoonwood

pein wrote:

you will have water acces in other spots too
a spring in the savanah means you can plant a small farm next to it
so you need 20 stones next to a spring and 20 charcoal
10 for well, 10 for cistern and 20 branches for each spring
sure you can make a kiln and produce charcoal on the spot
if you plant trees before 30, they will surely grow out if you water before 30 then you can water at the end of your life
maybe even plant those trees in a pen shape, with a bottom of stone blocks to have a pen near each usable spring

chances are that you will find a spot with a spring in separate good biomes, they tend to come in makprity, like ice has a lot of ice around but on other side of an ice biome, generally it's no more ice for a long while

outposts can be much better than starter towns as you can run around with a horse until you find a springs to upgrade and choose something that has  separate biomes for each spring, and you don't rely on swamps anymore (2 sets of plates and 2 sets of bowls in a cart enough for a while and enough adobe for 2 kilns and an oven =10)

I definitely like this outpost idea, and I'm very partial to tree based pens as it's so useful to have the branches in a spot like that (poplars on sides, maples on top has worked best for me to keep sheep maximally visible).  I did some searching around on s12 and it isn't like you find a spring every 40 tiles, because of biome changes, which I guess comes as expected.  Milkweed comes as more abundant, so boxes for the bottom part of a tree based sheep pen might be more viable on bigserver2 now.  I did find a spring like 2 or 3 tiles away from a pond cluster also.  That sort of spot can make for a town cetner I suppose for an Eve willing to search for such.

Danish Clinch.

#10 2019-05-06 22:40:18

Spoonwood

Now I say with confidence, absolutely not if talking about a charcoal pump!

jasonrohrer wrote:

Once the pump exhausts, it can't be upgraded to kero.  You didn't ruin anything.  Kero and Charcoal pumps both have the same "depth."

You can upgrade to Kero before it exhausts, which will give you more water per pumping, but won't change the odds of it exhausting.

So, you do NOT want to fill up a cistern with water from a charcoal pump (from other sources that might work, but there's always the possibility that someone uses the charcoal pump with a cistern close to it unfortunately... so use more buckets if importing water!).  If it needs run do it.  It takes water to get up to a diesel water pump, and cooks and farmers might need water from a charcoal pump, but try not to run it if you can avoid it.

The kerosone pump can get run as much as you want though.  Yep, run that thing until it breaks if you want.

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-05-06 22:43:20

futurebird

Charcoal pumps are the new potato.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer