One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-29 20:25:39

honikker

How feasible would it be--

--for the community to come together and designate one of the official servers as an unofficial roleplay/realplay server?

Since there've been grumblings from some people about "shoving all griefers onto a griefer server" or whatever~

This way,
- people who ree at the mere sight of a crown or a cult or whatever don't have to chance being born into a family otherwise content with playing out such drama and can point people who want to do that stuff to this unofficially designated roleplay server 
- fellow roleplayers and realplayers and whatnot can play out their drama and shenanigans in peace
- people who focus on the technical min-maxy efficiency aspects of play can do their thing in peace, too
- people who want to fool around with new tech can just hop onto the big server? Or maybe there could be a server unofficially designated for that kind of thing so people don't /die as much or aren't as bothered by people /die-ing to get to a big town because on that server it would kind'a be expected?

I dunno. There are two main play styles (roleplayers and non-roleplayers) and they seem to clash a lot, so--in my opinion--it might be worth separating those player groups. That way people who don't like roleplay aren't ruining things for those who do and vice-versa. I've seen some games do this kind'a thing, anyway--one game I've been reading up on that's done this is what foisted this notion upon me in the first place. That and the grumblings of griefer servers.

I mean.. Just sayin'. There are how many official servers? There's enough room to divvy up for everyone. No toes need be stomped on. No fun need be ruined by incompatible play styles.

Also I've been thinking of ways for us roleplayers to inject culture into our towns using our, y'know, imaginations. To give some examples,
- declaring an animal as a Holy Animal, allowing them to roam freely. Like cows, geese, or pigs. ... Or sheep if you want to make things a bit difficult.
- banning a certain color dye, or reserving it for royalty so that anyone else seen wearing it is executed if they don't willingly subject themselves to [punishment]
- "Those guys wearing [insert color] robes are part of the Holy Order/Cult of Whatever/etc. They only accept virgins/women/men/etc." Maybe they sacrifice first borns born into the cult to a Nosaj and revere endstones as Holy Relics. May or may not be an apocalypse cult. Who knows? They could make a temple on the outside of down. Decorate it with bones. Or flowers. Or somethin'.
- villages of raiders who pillage other towns. OHOL vikings! Bandit towns!
- large cities/kingdoms who make small outpost towns pay tribute for protection?
- and so on 'cause the possibilities are endless. 

I hope this malarkey makes some iota of sense.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#2 2019-04-29 20:43:37

Buggy

Re: How feasible would it be--

I would be curious to see if a group of rp players could actually build and keep a city running. I think it would be fun to see. You should pick one of the empty low pop servers and try it out

#3 2019-04-29 21:13:39

futurebird

I have been pretty vocal about the griefing stuff and I don't consider like 98 percent of role play to be griefing at all. I don't think all murder and drama is bad. I don't get in to it much myself... but if someone wants to be a king and someone else is having a revolution to take him down THAT is fun to me and not griefing.

The most essential example of griefing is you are working hard doing something and someone stabs you then says "ha ha ha ha last girl u ded" there is no context. They are talking outside of the world of the game, they stopped you from doing your enjoyable task and there is nothing you can do about it if you can't get medical help.

But, even that kind of thing happening, I can tolerate, learn to respond to etc. The bragging here? eeeeh.... No. I know passing judgement on how other people PLAY is uncomfortable but unlike role play I don't think "pure griefing" is compatible or healthy for the game, so it really shouldn't be a part of our lounge/planning room/after hours bar/forum-- We talk here about how the game is... and how it should be. We share stories that have real emotions attached to them. I think griefing kind of takes a p*** on all that. Griefiers don't care and think people who do are dumb. I think "you should have respect for others experiences and not ruin them on purpose" shouldn't be that controversial--

I'd even join in a roleplay server as long as by being kinda quiet and working most of the time I'm not breaking YOUR rules. It's not fun to work in empty dead cities.

I do get a little annoyed if someone is all drama and no work. But, in my book that isn't griefing anymore than the person who decides to build a radio or make a building the town doesn't need is griefing-- You can't always min/max everything. There is more to life than maxin' out your pips and making food. And we can make enough food to support even more people than we do now. It just shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-29 21:23:43)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-29 21:19:48

futurebird

PS.

Everyone who plays this game role plays a little.
Call your mother "mom"?
Take care of your kid and dress them?
Say things like "we need water or the town won't survive"
Say "goodbye" when you die?

What "mom"
What "town"
It's just a game right? But when it works it's drama too. This isn't dwaf fortress, or a puzzle game.

Everyone does a little role play. That isn't bad IMO either.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-29 21:25:24)

---
omnem cibum costis

#5 2019-04-29 21:39:31

DestinyCall

Pick a server and give it a cool name.  the roleplayers will come.

#6 2019-04-30 14:17:35

CatX

#7 2019-04-30 14:24:49

Turnipseed

Role play only server... steel tools by gen 12... berry bushes and murder cults as far as the eye can see! Crowns and sandles for everyone!

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#8 2019-04-30 16:12:52

Averest

Server 3 For RP!

Has a nice ring to it.

#9 2019-04-30 16:35:58

Amon

Sounds good, but will be have a sustainable pop to keep a town going?

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#10 2019-04-30 17:11:35

futurebird

So server 3? I may drop in. I'm curious what this will look like.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-04-30 17:12:22

Turnipseed

If not you can keep respawning if you make it to 60

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

Board footer