One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-28 00:17:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Update: Frozen Moments

ySfxCXa.gif

My friend once observed that as photographs age, they transcend their status as documents and move gradually into the realm of sublime art.  Even the most casual, throw-away snapshots, given eighty years or so, become nothing short of jaw-dropping---windows into a forgotten world that we can barely imagine ever really existed.  We also occupy a very special place in history---the place where photographs, as a relatively recent invention, only document very recent history for us.  We can dream about photographic evidence of the middle ages, but we will never see it.

Now imagine people five hundred or a thousand years from now, and how they will likely be able to look at photographs that are many hundreds of years old.  Even more mind-boggling, they will have access to moving images that are many hundreds of years old, where we don't even have movies of our grandparents when they were young.  It seems like these kinds of multidimensional documents will serve to make distant history more real and less mysterious.  That seems neat and all, but part of me likes the mystery.

And this game mostly preserves that mystery.  What happened long ago?  What did it look like?  Who lived here?  How did they dress?  Now we all have a very narrow window into the past, and your photographs will be messages in bottles that wash up on the shores of the future.  Damn, I'm really laying it on thick this time, aren't I?  But this is profound stuff that we're dealing with here.  Pictures of Grandma.  Forever.

And the first in-game photos have already started showing up.  Here's a good one for you:

1c44c662fc73a22a63e186a0a89408048e3cabae.jpg

You can see the full stream here:

http://photos.onehouronelife.com/server … front_page

And check the family tree browser for people who have been tagged by a little photograph icon.

#2 2019-04-28 01:01:52

Bob 101

Re: Update: Frozen Moments

Very nice but people don't build cars and planes Jason.

Do you think that people will use this over regular screenshots?

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-28 01:05:06)

#3 2019-04-28 01:40:30

mgiuca

I love how the family tree links to photos. It would be cool if the photo stream also linked to the family tree entries.

Do you think that people will use this over regular screenshots?

I haven't tried it yet but do the photos exist in the world too, or just go on the website / your hard drive? I'd imagine this serves quite a different purpose to screenshots, a.k.a., leaving evidence of yourself behind for future generations in the world to look back on. And populating the website stream.

Last edited by mgiuca (2019-04-28 01:40:49)

#4 2019-04-28 09:09:00

jinbaili83

Speaking of regular screenshots where does it say to use "=" key to make them. It took me four months to realise this game can make screenshots. Earlier i just assumed people use some external program to make them.

#5 2019-04-28 11:21:09

Spoonwood

The first photographs don't even exist on the photos page anymore.

I also don't see any reason to use these as opposed to screenshots.

I don't see how this update will encourage people to play for the betterment of their families.  It might actually make it more likely that people get into fights, because of the issue of crowns and how players act poorly with them (and they give no insulation, making the player have to consume more food if not overeating).

This update doesn't seem to yield a photograph album of the development of a settlement.  On top of that, the player has to use the nearsighted, limiting, and confining all the way zoomed perspective.  We can see more zoomed out, and it looks better, because there's more of a sense of freedom of being able to travel more places when zoomed out.  Photos should work zoomed out.

Your 'vision' is nearsighted with this update Jason.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-04-28 14:08:12

happynova

Goddamn it, I'd just about decided to bow out of this game for a while rather than risk being the annoying person who hangs around complaining about things all the time, but this is cool enough to really make me want to stay and play with it.

#7 2019-04-28 14:25:22

Spoonwood

Also, this update basically killed off the only viable way of trading that we had.  For a little bit it came as possible (and I did this a few times) to walk to other towns.  Oftentimes I would bring rope to them that I made in the wild (and I would make a basket in the wild) and then help them out.  So it would have been possible to run materials back and forth between towns.  But now?!  Now you can't find them, because of the destruction of how coordinates use to work, so the hetuw mod doesn't give coordinates for families anymore.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-28 14:26:30)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-04-28 14:43:54

Amon

Would've been cool if you actually did get the 3D mode to work for the photograps smile it didn't look too bad, just the flooring needed some work.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#9 2019-04-28 19:37:39

Peaches

Do these exist as objects in-game? That'd be awesome if they did, though they'd definitely litter towns! Maybe havng them decay after so many years unless put into photo books or something?

I'm sorry so much of your community gripes about every little thing you add to your game, I knew this was going to update and work differently from other games when I first heard about it before release and I'm just enjoying the ride regardless of the minmaxxer's complaints

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#10 2019-04-28 19:48:57

Amon

Nice that modded images show up big_smile

Art!!

#11 2019-04-29 02:45:59

BladeWoods

New clothing broke with this update, dying new clothing makes category objects.

#12 2019-04-29 13:21:03

Mushroom

Great mind of these forums once said:

"Spoonwood is never fucking happy with anything." ~ Bob 101, 2019

I like the new update, it's got new content which is fun and makes me play more to explore it.

Dickbutt

#13 2019-04-29 15:03:18

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I'll have to fix the clothing thing.  Not sure what happened there.

Yes, photos fall off the front page after a while, but they are currently kept forever (which may change at some point, if the photo server disk fills up).

BUT.... they are linked from the family tree.  Which means that after you help to found a village, you can come back tomorrow, see your descendants in the family tree, and check if they took any photos of the place it its later stages.

As for the photo stream not linking back to the family tree.... well... photos are created instantly, but family tree entries aren't created until you die.  So when the photo is created, there's nothing to link to.  I'd have to make the family tree server and the photo server communicate more, which would be somewhat complicated.

#14 2019-04-29 15:08:24

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Ah, I see the problem.... I added black cloth, but not the other colors of cloth (on purpose).

This broke the pattern for dyed clothing.  You can still make black clothing, just not the other colors, because the patterns don't line up.

Which means... I need to add colored cloth... but the problem there is that colored cloth currently has no use!  Only black cloth has a use... Hmm...

#15 2019-04-29 17:06:30

Amon

Perhaps the coloured cloth could just be a generic item for now untill you come up with a recipe. Cut it for ribbons? Tool wraps? Flags? Sails?
Have bullfighting with red cloth? Oh well big_smile

Art!!

#16 2019-04-30 03:24:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Realized that I could just use the black cloak to cover photo paper.  No need for colored cloth.

This is fixed and live now.

Board footer