One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-27 00:43:29

Katears

Am I in the wrong?

This was the first time I really played with fences, so far I hadn't seen the appeal for it other than making cheap pens, but in this life I was born inside a big property, so I thought of giving it a shot.

We had a farm and some tools inside, it was far enough from the town, so we didn't have many people going by. If I needed a tool, I would made it myself with the iron and kiln in town, so I didn't really see it as my own property and when someone asked if they could borrow it I willingly give it way.

When I was getting old, two brothers came lurking around trying to destroy my fences, I asked them what they needed, one of them replied that I was hoarding things from the town (which I don't know if it's true or not, pretty much everything was already there when I was born) so I kept asking what they needed. One of them said he wanted a cart, at this point they were in front of the main gate, so I grabbed a cart (we had 2) and put it outside from another gate since I didn't want them to come inside and told them to take it. They were not satisfied and kept trying to destroy the fences.

It was when my daughter opened the gate that one of the guys came in before I could close it and began looking around, he took the other cart and started to fill it with stuff, there was a box with a knife inside, he grab it, at that moment I knew I had to defend myself so I stab him, he ran to the gate unable to leave and died, his brother and their mother cursed me outside the fence.

My daughter open the gate again to come inside and the other guy enters, I'm in cooldown and try to explain what is happening to my daughter, that's when the mother of the two guys shoots me with a bow from outside.

So, am I in the wrong here?

If they just told me what they needed, I would have give it to them, but it seems they just wanted to destroy what my family built in previous lives.

#2 2019-04-27 00:58:07

Sukallinen

Re: Am I in the wrong?

Yup, wrong. Keep the tools outside, it is waste of time for ppl to come by and ask for them.

Always return tools to where you picked'em up, in your case to forge where you made them, or better yet at community farm or such. Cursing was not called for though.
Edit: you wasted many peoples time for each to fetch tools instead of wasting one persons (yours) by borrowing them from town.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-04-27 00:59:36)

#3 2019-04-27 01:24:01

futurebird

If you had your own kiln and iron I'd say you were right, but just forging a tool from iron someone gathered for the whole town doesn't mean it should be locked up and people have to ask you (even if you always say yes) to use it. Put the tools outside of the fence unless you are using them. If you need a tool that will stay inside work on getting your own iron, kiln kindling smithing hammer branches etc.

Often I spend a life just getting iron, branches and kindling ... for the town. I would be annoyed to find out that the work I did was locked away for just one small group in the town.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-27 01:34:28

Katears

Just to be clear, people didn't have to come to my house to ask for tools, the town had tools, several of each in boxes, there were at least 5 piles of iron to be smith. The only tools I had were 2 carts, some baskets and bowls, an axe, a stone hoe that I made with the rope I planted, a bow, a froe, 2 knives and others that I put outside for people to use because I didn't need it.

But like I said it was the first time playing with a property, I didn't care for the stuff I always share, just didn't want them to destroy my house.

#5 2019-04-27 01:38:09

futurebird

"the town has tools" can be deceptive. It's much easier if there are more of each tool since at any time many hoes, axes, shovels may be in use.

---
omnem cibum costis

#6 2019-04-27 01:51:27

Turnipseed

Tl;dr

If you have to ask the answer is yes

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#7 2019-04-27 02:00:40

DestinyCall

Turnipseed wrote:

Tl;dr

Pretty much this.  Usually a bad sign.

#8 2019-04-27 02:37:03

Sukallinen

Katears wrote:

only tools I had

Two carts = 6 uses of tools, time to move firewood and such, two ropes, two cut-down maple branches.(edit: add plowing for eight milkweed, so eight more uses of tools plus time to move them, soil, wait until correct phase... add two uses of drill and some axes, use and making of saw, cutting tree and moving firewood-I think I still miss some)

Bowls: get clay, axe tree, move and axe firewood, make light and use stuff to create clay, adobe...

Baskets I usually have to stop, cut wheat (using a slot in bp or cart for sharp stone) move wheat, get branch, hit both, move both-unless risk mosquitoes and such in possibly nearby swamp, so others need to go get theirs further from town.

Stone hoe: use nearby maple to get branch, use nearby sharp stone, use bowl carrot added soil and watered berries to make compost, use shovel, water... etc etc

Also, did you say there were three iron ? Ouch, I would be out of town finding more, fast.

Come on. Where does the "only" come in this picture ? All takes time, and you didn't even return tools to town.

Last edited by Sukallinen (2019-04-27 02:40:43)

#9 2019-04-27 03:42:00

Spoonwood

All property fence structures are griefing.  Jason only created a structure for griefers or people who don't understand them.  They take up useable space.  The person wastes time setting it up.  The worst part?  It takes a rope to put up a gate, when the settlement probably could have used a bucket, cart, or sledge (for storage) with that rope earlier.  Or a pump, newcomen engine, or oil rig (all require a rope).  Even if you grew milkweed, you could have grown more milkweed if you had done it elsewhere than using that gate.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#10 2019-04-27 03:51:12

futurebird

Spoonwood wrote:

All property fence structures are griefing.  Jason only created a structure for griefers or people who don't understand them.  They take up useable space.  The person wastes time setting it up.  The worst part?  It takes a rope to put up a gate, when the settlement probably could have used a bucket, cart, or sledge (for storage) with that rope earlier.  Or a pump, newcomen engine, or oil rig (all require a rope).  Even if you grew milkweed, you could have grown more milkweed if you had done it elsewhere than using that gate.

Oh come on that isn't really true. Build out of town, get your own stuff, have kids who want to keep it going the last one is hard. If it's done that way it's harmless.

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-04-27 04:33:29

Toxic
Banned

Ahhh man if that was me that town would be dead.

#12 2019-04-27 12:24:41

Katears

Turnipseed wrote:

I guess I was just wandering if it was a valid reason to kill the guy, it's not something I would do, but when he barged in and grabbed the knife I kinda snapped.

Sukallinen wrote:

Come on. Where does the "only" come in this picture ? All takes time, and you didn't even return tools to town.

What if my ancestors did all these things from scratch, I have no way of knowing I just inherited, don't I have a claim to it? If that's the case my family work has no meaning if it's inside a fence.

I'm just trying to figure out the point of property in the game, probably won't be playing with it any time soon, it wasn't a fun experience.

Thank you for your feedback.

#13 2019-04-27 13:31:13

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Oh come on that isn't really true. Build out of town, get your own stuff, have kids who want to keep it going the last one is hard. If it's done that way it's harmless.

Let me say it again... property gates consume a rope.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2019-04-27 13:53:19

seth

Wow this is a great story! Thanks for sharing.. This definitely is a completely different layer to the game: conflict, without either side having bad intentions.

You got to experience class tension in your game.. This adds some politics to the game, learning how to negotiate with property-less towns people.. Your strategy of trying to negotiate with them individually will work in a lot of situations, and it's exactly the strategy that is employed in modern businesses that have an interest in non-collective bargaining. But they seemed to resent the control of the tools, so things escalated quickly.

Of course, once they were inside you had no choice but to defend yourself - this is a theme in Jason's other game the Castle Doctrine.

I also see cursing as a type of rudimentary court system - I doubt you'd get enough to go to donkey town given the circumstances.. But this is the first time I've really seen cursing being used in a non-greifing situation. 

I personally don't think it's wrong to have personal property, but without a social system that ensures equity, its a guarantee of unrest.

#15 2019-04-27 14:00:38

seth

Katears wrote:

What if my ancestors did all these things from scratch, I have no way of knowing I just inherited, don't I have a claim to it? If that's the case my family work has no meaning if it's inside a fence.

Wow, this is deep! Jason is forcing us to deal with the consequences and dilemma of generational wealth, legacy, and potential theft of the commons.

Do you let what your family worked for go to seed? Or do you hold onto it, and deal with the guilt of knowing you didn't earn these possessions, and they may even be stolen from the community. The truth is lost to history now.

It occurs to me, even if the property owners wrote down their history, it would most certainly be the history that makes them look good.. again, mirroring real life!

great stuff..

#16 2019-04-27 14:20:36

futurebird

seth wrote:

I personally don't think it's wrong to have personal property,

No one is say that it is wrong to have personal property.

---
omnem cibum costis

#17 2019-04-27 17:44:37

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:
seth wrote:

I personally don't think it's wrong to have personal property,

No one is say that it is wrong to have personal property.

Correct.  I am against property fences (they take up space, consume rope, and take some time to set up).  I am NOT against people carrying around something in their backapck, trousers, or apron which is theirs (e.g. this is my knife since I'm responsible enough to slice bread or make rubber, and/or this is my food).

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-27 17:45:46)

Danish Clinch.

Board footer