One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-26 00:52:15

Grim_Arbiter

Grim's Ultimate Guide to Finding Other Towns V2

Hey all, since we are probably not going to ever use coordinates to find others practically again, and since Jason wants it basically impossible for villages to connect (Area ban, how needlessly huge the eve spiral is) I am updating my previous explorers post..

Have you ever been the last of a once thriving village, or been birthed to an eve who had no idea what she was doing?

Well rather than talking to your brother and uncle about the town being dead, or trying to pathetically tell your mom she started in the worst spot, or intentionally stepping on a snake, Ol' Grim's got an option for ya. Go out and find something or someone!

Thanks to thundersen (and others) I have finally begun to develop a system for searching that will net you the best results and increase the chance of you finding other established towns, both living and dead. Ill try to break this down into basic parts

So whatever circumstances placed you in this scenario where finding others is now your goal, the first step should to always choose a starting point in which to search. The very first thing that should be done is place a home marker for reference. Now that you have a start, The next step is knowing HOW and WHERE to travel.

Homeslice1.png

Using birth coordinate data mixed with eve spiral info, the best route is heading diagonal directions of NE, SE, SW, NW. Spawn points are often only 250 to 500 tiles away from eachother diagonally (albeit they can be at different times..Ill touch on this in a moment) What I do is choose a diagonal direction and head at least 700 to 800 tiles that way. Only 500 if looking for other live people. If nothing is found then I head back to my home marker or starting point and travel the opposite diagonal direction another 700-800 (or 500) tiles. All that distance traveled you SHOULD be looking for signs of player presence in the landscape ( Cactus bearing flowers or fruits, family rabbit holes, geese eggs ect.) If you find something worth stopping the searching at this point by all means check it out. If nothing is found, head back to start and travel the other diagonal directions you haven't gone yet.

Homeslice2.png

OK, now that you have traveled all four diagonal directions and hopefully found old eve starts or signs of activity (sharp stones, old graves, ect) but probably not too much else. In the hypothetical example I am using lets say every star point is a sign of activity you have found. You must now find which diagonal direction has given you the most results, and then go that way (that is why its important to travel the full 800 if looking for older ruins, even if you found something before that.) The diagonal direction which gives the most signs of activity will usually keep yielding results when gone in, and sometimes seems to lead you into older ruins of previous days.

If you travel in a half diagonal, half north or south mix it is possible to actually ride in the rings of eve starts.

nomereves.jpg

*THINGS TO KNOW*

Horses are your friend. Even if you dont have, or find a dead village that doesn't have a horse, If the tools are there to make one its advised to take the time to get one.

You have a better chance at finding non related LIVE people the younger the generation you are. A generation 2 or 3 person has a waaaaay better shot of finding others non related than someone generation 30.

It takes roughly 4 to 5 minutes to travel 800 tiles on foot, so if looking for different no relation people travel 500 tiles in each direction FIRST not 800 to maximize the chance of finding.

Avoid jungle! It might not be the fastest, but if you can go around a jungle or go through it at a very shallow point it is highly recommended.

If no horse, cart, or backpack, at least make a basket for your traveling.

Last edited by Grim_Arbiter (2019-04-26 01:36:50)

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#2 2019-04-26 02:29:23

jinbaili83

Re: Grim's Ultimate Guide to Finding Other Towns V2

Eve's lives are short. In most cases you will find just bones of Eve who gave up. I estimate only 10% camps survive up to 3 generations, 64 out of 719 Eves died at old age.

graph

#3 2019-04-26 06:11:29

pein

chances are very scarce that without knowing a location, you find anyone alive

actually with actual coordinates, i found that straight directions are pretty much more prevalent than diagonals, but generally they are 1-2-4k away
the explanation is also logical: the circle is big, 14k diameter so the circle barely changes 100 tiles in each 1000

each 10 gen leaves around 50 tiles diameter signs around it, so for an eve camp you really got to explore each swamp and green
maybe for gen 20 you can suspect from 100 tiles away, 40-50+ gen can be seen like 300 away

but really, i seen towns merely 200-300 tiles distance and no one made contact in 7 hours

without any trick i found lost camps while iron runs, but this 300 tiles are like 5-6 biomes and often trough ice and jungle which you wouldn't normally do, they act as a wall
i often do an exploring of 400x400 around camp, or at least 2 directions further and 50-80 other directions, and chances are very scarce to find anyone

the other thing is biome generation
if you find the eve spiral, and run like 1500 tiles on it, you will find lot of camps in a straight line
because lot of eves settle in the first swamp/green combo and the better ones survive
better players can make anything work really, fast axe and shovel allows longer farming and carts and cisterns, composting makes decent camps

the main issue, you don't know which side of the circle are you on
if you would know (which is only possible if the family made it trought the night)
each 9:30 gmt (they said 8:30 but maybe the +1 from daylight save), you get absolute coordinates of previous day which can include the eve of your family, so either 24 hour long lineages which is right now is impossible (around gen 70 is like 20 hours but not sure)
but closer to 9:30 gmt+0 time, the less requirement

so you can search on your Eve coordinates and calc a way between it and another eve.
If they still same spot, which is generally the case, you can find them.

Generally the biome edges form a line which can be any degree, draw an imaginary line 90 degree to it, those points to the next of same type biome lot of the times, so if you see a small badland the next one is either 90 degree to it or straight following that line.
It's more of a game experience thing, i cant explain simpler, im just good at pattern recognition and lot of times i guess where a viable eve spot can be if im nto happy with the current sizes and resources. So if you find good spots on a straight line, they arent really the line ,they are two parallel diagonal lines

honestly even if i got strong clues from game files, like not one person but at least 3 in a small spot, i fail from time to time
so you cant be too emotionally invested and shoudlnt risk high distances

now if i know that something might be at 1000 tiles away, i might try it on foot as a male or old lady
but with females max 3k possible to have kids

on horse i would say 4k max if you got a sure point to go, but honestly you get old by the time you arrive and not that fun overall

and i got experience on running aroudn animals on foot, and dodgign snakes with horse so you might even be slower

as for scanning the territory around you, even 400x400 is a lot on foot, on horse i would say max 600x600
solo exploring isn't that fun anyway

people liked bell runs cause they had a goal and was sure it's a city there, dragging others onto long rides isn't fair to them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#4 2019-04-26 12:05:10

Sukallinen

@grim, why return to home marker every time ? Why not after going SE, go N, and return to home marker SW (the NE home marker route), saves time and gives extra area searched (if you want to use that pattern).

But sry, have nothing to add-except was born to wannabe-eve w/o bowl but with pies and such, the place looked so bad I seeked out (after making some bowls and fetched carrotseeds to her and new kin) where she started from- it was nearby, two old ppl there I guess they quarreled or something). Finding the large camp was rather easy then. I don't know how to search by name or anything the like so didn't even know if I'd find anyone alive.

#5 2019-04-26 20:34:35

Grim_Arbiter

Sukallinen wrote:

@grim, why return to home marker every time ? Why not after going SE, go N, and return to home marker SW (the NE home marker route), saves time and gives extra area searched (if you want to use that pattern).

But sry, have nothing to add-except was born to wannabe-eve w/o bowl but with pies and such, the place looked so bad I seeked out (after making some bowls and fetched carrotseeds to her and new kin) where she started from- it was nearby, two old ppl there I guess they quarreled or something). Finding the large camp was rather easy then. I don't know how to search by name or anything the like so didn't even know if I'd find anyone alive.

Greep asked me the same thing with the last.thread, and its probably more of a personal preference thing. I dont think it's ever been completely tested, but I feel like you travel faster in a diagonal and can actually cover more ground quicker. I shoot from like north east, jet through my home marker and then go south west. Then the other two directions making an X.

While you could just go from north east to south east, I feel like it might take longer. If something like a town is directly east, there should be signs north and south of it. If I run diagonally and do see  those signs, then I will push north or south to find it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#6 2019-04-26 20:49:40

futurebird

Grim_Arbiter wrote:

I dont think it's ever been completely tested, but I feel like you travel faster in a diagonal and can actually cover more ground quicker.

Oh we need to test this. If it takes the same time to go from one tile to the tile diagonally adjacent as it takes to go NSEW then you *would* go faster by a factor of 2^.5 or about 40 percent faster.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-26 20:50:02)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#7 2019-04-27 06:52:37

pein

it's technically an optical illusion

a circle is a square in this game
50 tile radius is 50 tile every direction?
optically is longer diagonally around 140% but 50 tiles are 50 tiles
not sure how the character objects walk, but i suspect is tile per sec or something

the real reason why you run diagonal is to cover more space, as you see more of the screen when pushes both ways, also easier to dodge animals

so if you run to a certain location, straight is better, but zigzag don't actually slows you down

if you explore for iron or anything, it's better to run diagonal to push out the screen

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer