One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-25 20:51:02

AmyJ

Inexplicable Fire

This has happened several times. At first I thought it was just crazy good timing, but it happens pretty often;

I like exploring when things in town are too routine/boring, and I occasionally stumble across old towns/cities. Most of the time these towns look pretty old - everything's in ruins, all skeletons are half-decayed etc. But there's almost always a fire still going, and it dies down into hot coals about 30 seconds after I come across it, almost every time. Does this happen to other people too, or am I going mad?

#2 2019-04-25 20:54:17

FeignedSanity

Re: Inexplicable Fire

AmyJ wrote:

This has happened several times. At first I thought it was just crazy good timing, but it happens pretty often;

I like exploring when things in town are too routine/boring, and I occasionally stumble across old towns/cities. Most of the time these towns look pretty old - everything's in ruins, all skeletons are half-decayed etc. But there's almost always a fire still going, and it dies down into hot coals about 30 seconds after I come across it, almost every time. Does this happen to other people too, or am I going mad?

If I had to guess, it's probably because the last person to see it died while it was a "large slow fire". So the timer for it's transition to a small fire was ticking. It never got to start it's timer to hot coals because no one had seen it become a small fire yet. Then you saw it, so it could start it's timer to hot coals. At least that's if my understanding of the game is accurate.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#3 2019-04-25 20:55:53

Tarr
Banned

It's due to how the game works. The game goes into "sleep" mode whenever you walk far enough from it or no one is around to see it. Fires will downgrade to the next tier while no one is around but will never go all the way down to ashes. This sort of thing can be easily demonstrated when catching rabbits due to all the transitions a rabbit has to go through to be caught. You can walk slightly off screen and a rabbit snare you set first will finish later than the last trap you set.

fug it’s Tarr.

#4 2019-04-25 20:57:56

FeignedSanity

Tarr wrote:

It's due to how the game works. The game goes into "sleep" mode whenever you walk far enough from it or no one is around to see it. Fires will downgrade to the next tier while no one is around but will never go all the way down to ashes. This sort of thing can be easily demonstrated when catching rabbits due to all the transitions a rabbit has to go through to be caught. You can walk slightly off screen and a rabbit snare you set first will finish later than the last trap you set.

Cool, thank you for confirming. Will respond to your other post when I have more time.

Believe you're right, but don't believe you can't be wrong.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Days peppers/onions/tomatoes left unfixed: 120
Do your part and remind Jason to fix these damn vegetables.

#5 2019-04-25 20:58:08

AmyJ

Ah ok! That makes sense, thanks smile. It was starting to creep me out tbh

#6 2019-04-26 05:31:52

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, and this is what makes a huge map full of interactive, advancing things possible.  When no one is looking, we stop updating those tiles.

Imagine if we had to keep every unseen milkweed plant blooming.  Guess how many milkweed plants are on the map.

My rough estimate is 16,000,000,000,000,000

16 quadrillion milkweed plants.  Can't possibly update them all every 30 seconds!

Even if we could update a million plants per second, it would take 500 years to update them all even one time.

Even if we just focused on the ones that had been seen by someone at some point in the past, that number would grow arbitrarily large as the life of the server wore on.  So we have to forget about ones that haven't been seen in a while.

This is true for fires, as well as for moving animals.

#7 2019-04-26 06:27:44

pein

so we need less firewood for a further fire?? big_smile

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-04-26 06:44:02

Thaulos

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, and this is what makes a huge map full of interactive, advancing things possible.  When no one is looking, we stop updating those tiles.

Imagine if we had to keep every unseen milkweed plant blooming.  Guess how many milkweed plants are on the map.

My rough estimate is 16,000,000,000,000,000

16 quadrillion milkweed plants.  Can't possibly update them all every 30 seconds!

Even if we could update a million plants per second, it would take 500 years to update them all even one time.

Even if we just focused on the ones that had been seen by someone at some point in the past, that number would grow arbitrarily large as the life of the server wore on.  So we have to forget about ones that haven't been seen in a while.

This is true for fires, as well as for moving animals.

Any chance you could add cactus to have fruit when generated and rabbit holes to be family from the get go? Quite annoying having to explore an area and wait until the rabbits turn into family rabbits. Untouched wilderness should have had time to fully grow these two.

#9 2019-04-27 02:17:51

Sukallinen

Thaulos wrote:

Any chance you could add cactus to have fruit when generated and rabbit holes to be family from the get go? Quite annoying having to explore an area and wait until the rabbits turn into family rabbits. Untouched wilderness should have had time to fully grow these two.

Not exactly, rabbits would move out and be hunted/die of illnesses. Cactus fruit is there to generate other cactus etc... Might be possible to have small % of those spawn in different state though, but generating random numbers takes itself lots of computer cycles. Maybe use % (that is, like 1/10 cactus have fruit and second one flower etc...), that is fast for server to do.

Board footer