One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-24 18:55:02

Karrots

I'm Angry

Hey, John Disney. I was April Disney, I don't remember our relation. I spent my life farming, cooking, raising children and creating deep wells. I never wasted food, worked hard, and didn't waste materials or time. You murdered and cursed me. Previously, I had no curse score. This was one of my better lives. I was happy. The village had no property fences, and was that perfect mix between city and starting town that makes for the most interesting lives where you can keep constantly busy. Keep in mind that despite our piles of iron and steel, which would be considered amazing, was actually barely enough to start upgrading to pumps and climb up the tech tree. You were a lumberjack. You never bothered to wear clothes, despite the booming sheep farm. You did do good work, I'll give you that. But you asked to be buried. We had no time to waste resources or role play, let me make that clear. We were that perfect mix that needed a lot of work to grow, and barely enough iron to do it. Why ask someone to bury you, steal rocks from the forge and waste important time and resources in satisfying your ego because 'you worked so hard.' We ALL worked hard. That's the point of these lives, to work hard. I put extra effort into staying warm and getting high yum because I was one of the last fertile woman and bore only one daughter, and now that's all down the drain. All because you killed me after I told you burying bones was a waste of a shovel use.

But I'm not even upset because of any of that. I'm upset because you abused the system. This wasn't a role play thing. You cared enough of your assumed value of the digital work you did rather then the fact that digging graves is wasteful, and would rather soft-ban me from the game than get over it. That's really the end of my rant, I just wanted to get this out there.

#2 2019-04-24 19:07:30

Whatever

Re: I'm Angry

I also want to share one life i had:

I was born as daugther, my mother showed me the graveyard and she told me that we are grave keepers.
When i was a bit older i told her that i will not bury the dead and that it is bad.
She was very upset because of it and told me that i am no longer her daughter and also cursed me.
Then i told other people in the village how mean my mother was, but they dident care.
So i told everyone i will go and commit suicide, they also dident care about that (i was the last fertile female)
Right after i told everyone i left the village, but not to commit suicide, but instead to make a bow and arrow to kill my mum.
When i came back with a daughter in my hands and an arrow in my backpack everyone was gone.
I then had many more children and they also had children. I destroyed all the graves and told my kids about my evil mother and they should never bury people.
Later an old lady came back, she had the bones from my mother and another guy. I think she wanted to bury them but i prevented it.
In my last words i told my mum that i destroyed all the graves.

#3 2019-04-24 19:23:42

Solbusaur

Whatever wrote:

I also want to share one life i had:

I was born as daugther, my mother showed me the graveyard and she told me that we are grave keepers.
When i was a bit older i told her that i will not bury the dead and that it is bad.
She was very upset because of it and told me that i am no longer her daughter and also cursed me.
Then i told other people in the village how mean my mother was, but they dident care.
So i told everyone i will go and commit suicide, they also dident care about that (i was the last fertile female)
Right after i told everyone i left the village, but not to commit suicide, but instead to make a bow and arrow to kill my mum.
When i came back with a daughter in my hands and an arrow in my backpack everyone was gone.
I then had many more children and they also had children. I destroyed all the graves and told my kids about my evil mother and they should never bury people.
Later an old lady came back, she had the bones from my mother and another guy. I think she wanted to bury them but i prevented it.
In my last words i told my mum that i destroyed all the graves.

This made me happy to read. I would've shot her too

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#4 2019-04-24 19:34:34

Stylingirl

I'm so tired of "We honor our ancestors" like, your ancestors would've wanted you to chuck their corpses 10 tiles away from town, not break the shovel and waste flat rocks.

#5 2019-04-24 19:49:41

Wuatduhf

If you truly honor your ancestors, you'll get a horse-cart to dump their bones further away from town; it gets messy when you leave them too close to the village.

#6 2019-04-24 19:50:50

karltown_veteran

I'm sleepy

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#7 2019-04-24 20:13:01

MultiLife

Hi Angry, I'm dad.

karltown_veteran wrote:

I'm sleepy

Hi sleepy, I'm dad.

And yes it'd be great if we could make graves not waste precious iron and maybe some flower pots to decorate them with. Put roses in a clay vase and such.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#8 2019-04-24 20:45:02

futurebird

I once buried myself (came back to the same town where I had been Eve's daughter and stumbled on my own bones) I gave myself the full treatment, flowers, tombstone engraved with "MOTHER" and a funeral with sever onlookers who got kind of annoyed when after talking about what a great woman she was and how much she helped the town I let it slip that it was also me.

ah well hmm can't win 'em all.

If a person asks me to bury them and I talked to them more than once or twice I do. I never ask for that though. I think single graves of people you really like are fine just don't bury all the bones in the bone yard and please get your own got damn flat stone. (thou shall not touch the forge rocks)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#9 2019-04-24 21:04:24

BlueDiamondAvatar

Karrots, you have every right to be angry.  That sucks.

JK, you had every right to kill your mum, and that village did not deserve you.

futurebird, I also will bury someone if they ask me to, but only one person, and only if they are special to me in some way.  I tell people obsessively burying everyone to stop, and I will take flat rocks from any graveyard I find. Love that you had a great funeral for yourself. 

This one time, a lady was determined to bury her mom next to the nursery fire, while a team of us were in the middle of putting boards down around it.  She had the shovel, the flat rock, some flowers, and everything.  It took a couple of us repeatedly grabbing the bones and putting them back in the basket and on the cart to get it through her skull that there was no way we were letting her take up this incredibly useful central tile for her random grave.

--Blue Diamond

I aim to leave behind a world that is easier for people to live in that it was before I got there.

#10 2019-04-24 21:05:02

Peaches

If somebody wouldn't bury me, I'd probably want them dead too.
It's a game, let people have their fun with roleplay and go minmax on your own.

The Frank to your Cleopatra

#11 2019-04-24 22:26:00

DestinyCall

I had one life a while back where I roleplayed as a dedicated grave keeper.   I made myself a cart, filled it with baskets and went about making a huge field of bones.   Once I had caught up with the village's constant death toll, I started gathering flat stones and piling them up near the field.  On my next cart run, I stopped off at the badlands and filled my pack with some ground iron.   Then I headed back to town and crafted myself a basket full of shovel heads and also smelted a bunch of extra iron into steel, leaving it for the next person.   

Then off to my graveyard where I started the long process of converting the bone field into a proper grave yard.   Sadly, I ran out of time (and shovels), so my life's work remains unfinished.    It takes an impressive amount of iron to make a proper graveyard.   If I ever try this again, I'll try to get started sooner and add a nice shrine or something so it looks fancier.

#12 2019-04-24 22:26:15

Léonard

Peaches wrote:

If somebody wouldn't bury me, I'd probably want them dead too.
It's a game, let people have their fun with roleplay and go minmax on your own.

It's a game, let minmaxers have their fun and go roleplay on your own.

There, fixed it for you.

#13 2019-04-24 22:49:20

JonySky
Website

OHOL: a "family" survival game ...
"Families" that when you die, they will leave your bones where you died without caring about anyone ...
and if you have died in the middle of town, they will push your bones away as far as possible so that they do not bother anyone
"Families" that if they see you burying your dearest relatives, they will stab you and curse you ...

interesting

#14 2019-04-24 22:54:58

Averest

Think the only person I've ever buried was Iron Bear Mother, because she killed a ton of bears. No idea her in game name. Even put a bear rug near her grave. No stone.

#15 2019-04-25 06:40:05

pein

i don't care if they bury me

except if it's my sheep pen/bakery design, then they can use me as a door until they got an actual door big_smile

truth, roleplay on your own
go get iron, make your shovel, and bury them with that

i seen people who brought back bones and wasted 2-3 shovels in meantime everyone else starved
i told them to care about the living, not the dead, they cursed me so i killed them

just because you have your fun, it ruins others fun if you destroy a shovel before they dig out soil pits or make wells
spit on others face that gathered iron for the camp

also do you know that you honor suicide baby bones and people who gave up? wasn't making the effort to run out and gather food for others?
bury the ones you know
or don't bury anyone at all

the time you spend to bury people, you could use to produce food so you don't have to bury them before time

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#16 2019-04-25 08:38:53

breezeknight

graves in OHOL should have some more meaning than waste shovel & give some decor

IRL graves are a symbol of civilization
IRL graveyards are reassuring that we are not savages pissing on everything & everybody but able to honor achievements
it's motivating, it upholds moral standards, it's defence against chaos & raging destruction

in a game graves have to have more gameplay content than IRL, even the most complex RL simulation cannot simulate all important parts of RL, so it has to have shortcuts included - features, functionalities

graves in OHOL have not enough function, gaveyards in OHOL have not enough function
OHOL life is too short in one hour to be able to simulate the RL importance of graves, religion, honor

OHOL characters are empty avatars, unlike RL, where every person is not only a material body but also an emotional, psychological & societal entity
in OHOL characters are only empty avatars, with no skill on their own, it's not an RPG, it's not even sims
in OHOL we, the players are jumping from one avatar to another, we are like souls giving life to an empty vessel
the appearance of the vessel is random, we get teleported to some family, maybe we founded it, but it's unlikely, maybe we built something in the town we are teleported to but it's not a given

the death of an empty avatar is way less tragic than the death of a RL entity, who had even way more time to change things than one hour can ever give

so we had to have more content to the person who is our current avatar for one hour
atm, the only content there is to that avatar is the curse count, the count of our sins & mistakes others made by cursing us because of some silliness
there had to be more to an avatar than a negative count, there had to be more to a grave of an avatar than a pile of bone trash

- - -

Board footer