One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-24 15:42:44

Thaulos

Long distance travel migration and trading

9232311-valea-ierii-romania-october-11th-2009-two-horses-pulling-a-wagon-with-happy-teenagers-in-apuseni-mou.jpg?ver=6

Capacity for 3 people including driver.
4 boxes on the back for a total capacity of 16 baskets.
2 horses
Regular walking speed.
Mandatory for the settlement of sattelite towns, family migration (imcluding their belongings) and long distance trading.

Please Jason.

#2 2019-04-24 16:17:35

DestinyCall

Re: Long distance travel migration and trading

+1 

I want this.

#3 2019-04-24 16:26:18

Ace

I like that you used a romanian picture, people still use those in rural areas. I think i heard them being banned in cities or such but i still see one very rarely with some gypsies riding around, collecting plastic bottles or something. They can work with just one horse, maybe even better in some situations but for a game-scenario 2 horses sounds right.

Last edited by Ace (2019-04-24 16:27:13)

#4 2019-04-24 17:03:42

saxo

How about an ocean- and river-based system where ships enable a fast travel mode (like in Fallout 2 or the original Sid Meier's Pirates)? This would enable traders to bring goods back and forth in a reasonable time for them to make a profit within an in-game lifetime. Exploring and charting a map for terrain and settlements would be an interesting goal and bring value to the village, so would constructing a ship. Seafarers would have to bring food on the trip -- perhaps there could be a representation of the ship interior -- a cramped collection of tiles with storage -- while in travel where people could interact and eat. Historically, much of early trade was conducted by sea. For example, pottery trade by ship was quite common in ancient Greece. A similar system might work well with the airplane, enabling charting a map of the surrounding terrain and villages. Given the prior interest in maps of villages here on the forum, it would demonstrably be quite exciting if it was possible to discover these as an integral part of the game.

#5 2019-04-24 17:36:45

futurebird

I love it. Some of my best game stories involve everyone going  to a new town like the time I found an abandon town and then had three girls and we all made carts and brought back the loot!

http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5931

I love the idea of people in cart going on great journeys. Still ambivalent about the whole giant biomes thing, though.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-04-28 12:40:09

st2019

A wagon with two horses and room for four people.

Imagine gathering milkweed, kindling and wood together. Finding together iron. Creating easily outposts. And people talking while on their journey.

I love it.

Last edited by st2019 (2019-04-28 12:40:58)

I'm an expert for: Sharp Stones

#7 2019-04-28 13:18:32

Joseph Stalin

a caravan of these, if you could shoot arrows from them, would be really cool in a "war" but they would still be really fun if we dont start doing wars

#8 2019-04-28 22:41:57

pein

i mean you would all just put the babies on it, don't lie big_smile

i think it would need to be the combination of mine carts and planes

how? you need a lot of resources to put on a wagon cart, 2 horses, big cart, cloth, some metal wires, then you select a driver, he goes in first with an item, like a rope.
then you can use 3 more people under 30 sec, even babies.
The cart wont move until the driver decides to, and you cant put babies until no driver.
i guess some age limit is also good

then you would have a timer to go with the wagon in straight lines, when you decide to settle (maybe skip 200 tiles or go fast trough it), you could stop it and would use up the charge so it only has one single use, for a cost, and gets 4 people further to make new city

driving around with multiple people would starve some so you would be immune to hunger during the ride but you would need pies placed in it to  load up like you do charcoal to newcommen
also sitting in would be voluntary for everyone except babies with their parents (maybe some sort of official adoption of the kid)

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer