One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-23 00:58:16

Bob 101

Re: Sexual Assault is never funny.

I agree, I've never done pedo/Rapist shit.

#27 2019-04-23 01:02:31

Anandamide

futurebird wrote:

I don't buy in to the "it's impossible to joke about __" idea because it can be possible and jokes depend on context and a lot of factors. But, if someone says that they are not comfortable I care about that a lot. It's not that hard.

There is basically no context in which sexual assault is funny or humorous. Lets just be clear about it. If you(or anyone else) finds it funny, you should think real hard about why you think it is so.

#28 2019-04-23 02:02:41

futurebird

Anandamide wrote:
futurebird wrote:

I don't buy in to the "it's impossible to joke about __" idea because it can be possible and jokes depend on context and a lot of factors. But, if someone says that they are not comfortable I care about that a lot. It's not that hard.

There is basically no context in which sexual assault is funny or humorous. Lets just be clear about it. If you(or anyone else) finds it funny, you should think real hard about why you think it is so.

I find it funny because I'm a survivor of rape and I'd rather joke about it than be depressed but I mostly joke with other survivors with similar sense of humor. All I'm saying is I don't like hard and fast rules like that about what can be funny because it's easy to show they are false. The real issue is not respecting people's feelings and pain and supporting a kind of culture that turns a blind eye to this sort of thing and endless doubts and blames the victims. That's what some of the best jokes are about how it's all your fault that you got raped. Because that's what you are kind of conditioned to think even though it's obviously not true.

And if any other survivor is reading this it's NOT true. I'm serious about that.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#29 2019-04-23 02:58:56

Léonard

Move along, citizen!!
This is the joke police!!
A joke crime was committed here, move along!!

Laalala wrote:

Sexual assault is not funny. It is never funny.  Who ever thought raping women in this game, would be funny needs to get their head examined.

Statistics show there are 12 year olds playing this game. If you just assaulted a 12 year old, congrats now you are a pedophile.

Ah, yes.

I am now a pedophile because the pixels of my characters were thrusted towards the pixels of another player's characters.
Are you sure it's not your head that needs to get examined?

There is so much wrong within this thread.
I'm just not going to bother responding to people individually and instead attempt to explain (in vain) why censorship is wrong and making jokes is an important tool of today's society.

That's right, jokes are a tool used by society.
It allows breaking the ice and talking about awkward/taboo yet important subjects while simultaneously being a quick way to spread information.
That's right, information.
Jokes are supposed to be understood by people, there's a reason behind why they're funny other than "hurr durr sex".

Jokes are like memes. Memes are excellent at this because they are basically symbolism. They very quickly associate a message (information) behind something simple (a symbol).
By sharing a meme, you spread information. Why? Because there is a message behind the meme. There is an intended rhetoric behind it.

Now you might say "well Léonard what's the message behind a rape joke?".
And the answer is very simple.
And NO, it is NOT that "rape is okay". Saying that rape jokes "normalize" rape is, forgive me, plain and simply retarded.
It shows you literally cannot take a joke. You're literally going against the point of jokes.
The message behind a rape joke is that rape is NOT okay.
That's why it is funny.
The fact that rape is not okay IS LITERALLY THE REASON WHY RAPE JOKES ARE FUNNY

Let's take a real life example.
Let's say that I am playing a casual game with my friend in voicechat.
Any game, say rocket league for example.
My friend makes a mistake and the ball goes in our gates.
I fake being angry and I tell my friend "dude, I'm gonna rape you now".
He laughs. Do you know why he laughs? Because he knows rape is not okay.
He was smart enough to understand the information behind the joke which is, again, THE FACT THAT RAPE IS NOT OKAY.
THAT'S. WHY. IT'S. FUNNY.

We could even go deeper than that (get it? XDDDDDDDDDDD).
If you are even smarter than this, you may get past the next level of joke mastery.
You may understand that even the fact that I fake being angry is a joke in on itself.
My friend knows I'm a chill person and that I wouldn't just start threatening him just because he made a simple everyday mistake in a game we're playing together (we wouldn't be friends otherwise, by the way).
The message to get behind this is that taking things to astoundingly and insanely serious levels is also wrong.

There are also very important aspects regarding the ability to take jokes and being able to take a step back and consider the bigger picture as a social skill.
I'd like to explain this stuff, but let's first see how this post goes and watch as I get called a rapist, childish and all sorts of things.

#30 2019-04-23 03:14:21

DestinyCall

The thing about comedy is that audience and timing is important.  A funny joke between two good friends might be completely inappropriate between two people who just met while waiting at a bus stop.   And some kinds of "jokes" are funny to the person making them, but not funny to anyone else around them.

This isn't a question of censorship or lack of humor.  It is a question of social graces and maturity.   Some kinds of jokes are best avoided when you don't know anything about your audience other than the fact that they play One Hour One Life.     Please don't be an inappropriate dick to other people, literally or figuatively.

#31 2019-04-23 03:31:33

futurebird

People think that criticism is the same things as c e n s o r s h i p it isn't in fact demanding that no one be critical of your humor is even more unreasonable than making rules about what people can't and can't find funny. Can't anyone see the irony here? "stop criticizing me you are censoring me" is hilarious. That's the real joke.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#32 2019-04-23 04:52:36

MultiLife

Can't recall a moment when a rape joke or a racist joke was funny to me. I also don't find poop jokes funny, but I know some people who do, but haven't met anyone who laughs at rape jokes.
I've seen people pretend to rape babies in OHOL, there was nothing funny about it. I wasn't offended or angry, I was just blank faced and bothered that some people would even do that. It's hard not to think about the articles I've read about messed up people and what they did to babies/children.

To me, the fact that 'it's not okay' doesn't make it funny. The fact it's a game makes me not angry about it.
I am a rather serious person and don't find a lot of things funny overall though.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

#33 2019-04-23 06:19:27

hmrka

Smh all the people being edgelords and saying "its just a joke!!!1"

That's the entire problem. By turning it into a joke, you belittle it. You make it something to use for entrainment. You turn people's trauma into something that you can laugh about because it's "just a joke" for you.

And don't be upset If I get people to curse you and remove you from the town via stabbing because of your "joke". I'm really dissapointed seeing so many people I respected defending this behaviour...

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#34 2019-04-23 07:10:50

1%Spacebar

hmrka wrote:

Smh all the people being edgelords and saying "its just a joke!!!1"

That's the entire problem. By turning it into a joke, you belittle it. You make it something to use for entrainment. You turn people's trauma into something that you can laugh about because it's "just a joke" for you.

And don't be upset If I get people to curse you and remove you from the town via stabbing because of your "joke". I'm really dissapointed seeing so many people I respected defending this behaviour...

The entire point about joking about something traumatising is to belittle it. Dark humour can really help people feel better. What if the person joking about it went through the same traumatic experience? Killing somebody because you have different views of comedy is an overreaction- You'll probably get stabbed yourself, whether out of misunderstanding, or because someone thought your reason was stupid. Personally, I believe everything should be joked about. If you protect one group from having the piss taken out of, why let others be protected, too? And believe me, /something/ is going to be joked about. A world without comedy is a terrible one.

Anyway, I'm getting off track- I'm probably speaking out of my butt anyway. Normally, I wouldn't get involved in conversations like this,  but.. This entire thing is stupid: This is a forum about discussing things in OHOL, not about discussing whether making jokes about rape is okay! If I was admin, I would've locked this thread as soon as the argument started. I absolutely agree with everything in Léonard's post, for the record.

oh boy *munch munch* these berry bushes *munch munch* are dying. i hope *munch munch* someone will water them

#35 2019-04-23 15:33:12

MultiLife

I do want to add that OHOL is not a safe space. Internet is not a safe space. By playing an online game you are putting yourself into an environment of strangers. If the strangers bother you, it's the best to move away from them. Doesn't sound fair to be the one who has to move away, but honestly, you can't change people - but you can change your company.

There is this guy who hates when people joke about cancer or use it in meme-like ways because his grandma died to it. He would ask people to stop using the word, even demand it. But there would always be a random using the word. He was fighting a losing battle and let himself get upset over these strangers. At some point I had to intervene and say that he will never get people to stop, so either he has to shield himself from strangers or accept that some people are different and he can't change them.

It's unfortunate we can't make things proper and 'safe', but if we could, we would be a hivemind.

Notable lives (Male): Happy, Erwin Callister, Knight Peace, Roman Rodocker, Bon Doolittle, Terry Plant, Danger Winter, Crayton Ide, Tim Quint, Jebediah (Tarr), Awesome (Elliff), Rocky, Tim West
Notable lives (Female): Elisa Mango, Aaban Qin, Whitaker August, Lucrecia August, Poppy Worth, Kitana Spoon, Linda II, Eagan Hawk III, Darcy North, Rosealie (Quint), Jess Lucky, Lilith (Unkle)

Board footer