One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-22 01:57:52

Laalala

Sexual Assault is never funny.

I was in a town where some of the men were making this weird bobbing behavior behind the women, standing on the same square.  I felt uncomfortable and asked WTF? A nearby woman said "he is f*cking you."  I called the guy a rapist and he made some joke about increasing the birth rate. I stabbed him. My daughter stabbed another guy for the same reason a few moments later. Was glad I had given her my spare knife. I do not recall if I cursed him too.

Sexual assault is not funny. It is never funny.  Who ever thought raping women in this game, would be funny needs to get their head examined.

Statistics show there are 12 year olds playing this game. If you just assaulted a 12 year old, congrats now you are a pedophile.

Statistics show that 1 in 3 women have been raped, and and a fair number of men, for them it is most often when they were helpless children. If you are assaulting someone who has traumatic history, they will for sure not think it is funny at all.

If it is the kids who are doing the raping, I got no regrets about teaching them to respect women, even cartoon women who might be male irl.

Sexual Assault is not a funny joke, under any circumstances.

#2 2019-04-22 02:04:48

futurebird

Re: Sexual Assault is never funny.

I mean you are right, and I don't really blame you for stabbing him but I doubt whoever was playing as that dude had any real ideal what they were doing and I doubt they learned.

People who don't realize it's a real thing that happens to people think it's fine to make a joke of it and they will say "lighten up" It's kind of a huge communication disconnect.

This and racist names really rub me the wrong way. I guess if I wanted to try to reach that person I'd take the time to explain.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-22 02:30:38

happynova

futurebird wrote:

I mean you are right, and I don't really blame you for stabbing him but I doubt whoever was playing as that dude had any real ideal what they were doing and I doubt they learned.

Whether they learn from the experience or not, that doesn't mean you have to put up with them.  I say stab away.

#4 2019-04-22 03:39:31

Laalala

futurebird wrote:

If being called out as a rapist and stabbed to death for it does not get the point across then I doubt more talking will help.

futurebird wrote:

People who don't realize it's a real thing that happens to people think it's fine to make a joke of it and they will say "lighten up" It's kind of a huge communication disconnect.

That behavior is something abusive people do, a type of gaslighting. Offending people and then insisting it was only a joke and the offended person needs to get a sense of humour, is an attempt to stop the abused from defending themselves. It just adds another layer to the abuse.

Know who makes excuses for rapists? Other rapists.

#5 2019-04-22 04:33:12

Whatever

Sometimes when i play as a man, i like to pick up little kids and drop them again repeatedly infront of their mother.

#6 2019-04-22 06:14:42

BladeWoods

I agree with stabbing them, but 1 in 3 women have not been raped.

#7 2019-04-22 07:29:40

Portager

I'm pretty sure this all started with the "banging" thread that was viral on the forums about a month ago. Forget who started it. Since then there has been a decent amount of unwanted thrusting motions, but I wouldn't say it is at epidemic levels yet. The crazy thing is that there is no way to know IRL whether the male characters are male, female or of some other identity. One would presume they are male though, perhaps children acting stupid as you say.

1 in 3 have not been raped. I believe that the statistic is 1 in 3 have been sexually harassed. Could be wrong, and don't want to mansplain tongue. I myself had an unwanted sexual encounter that I am only just realizing years later made me uncomfortable. I suppose the metoo movement will do that to a person, and I'm a man.

I wont lie though, within the game, this kind of behavior just seems more stupid then anything. I normally just move on with my day, just as I do for other kids of griefing.

#8 2019-04-22 07:40:41

Dodge

It's probably a 12 year old that did that joke...

#9 2019-04-22 09:06:07

Toxic
Banned

Lmao who is this person. Literally it’s a goddamn game no one cares. “1 in 3 women have been raped” that doesn’t seem right lol some sites say 1 in 5. But these seem like very dumb numbers. If that many woman were raped you would have a 20% chance in getting raped. Which is pretty high.

#10 2019-04-22 14:36:04

mrbah

your character is born naked.
Flashing is in most jurisdictions a crime.

#11 2019-04-22 14:41:53

futurebird

Yeah we aren't talking about the nudity which is fine it's the rape jokes. They aren't funny and indirectly normalize boundary violations.  Another annoyance are prison rape jokes. This is just an FYI that many people will think less of you if you participate in such nonsense and some will stab you and I can't even really be sad about that.

But, I'm a survivor so my perspective is probably too emotional and distorted. Ya?

---
omnem cibum costis

#12 2019-04-22 16:03:57

DestinyCall

I'm also going to throw out there that it is not funny when you make "slave" jokes directed at the only extremely dark skinned character in the village.   I've had to stab people for doing this before and I really hate stabbing people.   

But I hate playing with racist assholes even more.

#13 2019-04-22 17:15:08

Stylingirl

Toxic wrote:

Lmao who is this person. Literally it’s a goddamn game no one cares. “1 in 3 women have been raped” that doesn’t seem right lol some sites say 1 in 5. But these seem like very dumb numbers. If that many woman were raped you would have a 20% chance in getting raped. Which is pretty high.

How disconnected from reality are you that you refuse to recognize sexual assault is a real problem that millions of women have dealt with and continue to deal with daily? Just because it is a game does not mean people have to tolerate sexual assault roleplay, especially when it is a known fact that children play this game. Your refusal to condemn this sickening behavior betrays your immaturity and suggests you may have been one of those who carried out that roleplay.

#14 2019-04-22 17:24:00

Whatever

Stylingirl wrote:

How disconnected from reality are you ... Just because it is a game does not mean ...

It is a game not reality.
This game doesnt have any sexual assault feature.
But this game has a killing feature. Killing people who say silly stuff is the right thing to do?
You are disconnected from reality, social warrior bs

#15 2019-04-22 17:30:53

Whatever

Laalala wrote:

Know who makes excuses for rapists? Other rapists.

Stylingirl wrote:

Your refusal to condemn this sickening behavior betrays your immaturity and suggests you may have been one of those who carried out that roleplay.

"If you dont agree with me, you are a rapist"

#16 2019-04-22 17:32:17

Stylingirl

Whatever wrote:

But this game has a killing feature. Killing people who say silly stuff is the right thing to do?

Say silly stuff? You mean imitating sexual assault? And currently, killing people is the only way to punish someone for their actions, so yes I would recommend that if you want to stop someone. I can not believe you are actually trying to insult me for criticizing someone who thinks it is okay to simulate rape.

#17 2019-04-22 17:38:49

Whatever

Stylingirl wrote:

Say silly stuff? You mean imitating sexual assault? And currently, killing people is the only way to punish someone for their actions, so yes I would recommend that if you want to stop someone. I can not believe you are actually trying to insult me for criticizing someone who thinks it is okay to simulate rape.

You are saying that "simulating rape" is a problem but at the same time you say the only solution to it is "simulating killing"
What if a kid plays this game whos father has been stabbed in real life? Imagine it plays this game happily, doesnt even understand the rape jokes and suddenly a woman comes and stabs a guy.
This is ok?

#18 2019-04-22 17:42:43

Buggy

Stylingirl wrote:
Whatever wrote:

There is no point in arguing with these edgelords, they obviously thrive on negative attention. No one with half a brain thinks sexual assault is funny just ignore them and anyone in game trying this dumb shit.

#19 2019-04-22 18:00:45

futurebird

I don't buy in to the "it's impossible to joke about __" idea because it can be possible and jokes depend on context and a lot of factors. But, if someone says that they are not comfortable I care about that a lot. It's not that hard.

---
omnem cibum costis

#20 2019-04-22 18:07:46

Glassius

You never know if it is a joke. If it is, "I feel disturbed, please don't do it" sentence may work. But real sexual harrassment is about shocking, dominating and terryfying. In that case he will be rewarded.

My wife met a flasher in real life. When he flashed to her, she laughed about him. It was not my wife, who ran in shame smile

#21 2019-04-22 18:09:35

Spoonwood

Whatever has asked some good and fair questions.  He is in no way being an "edgelord", which involves using language designed to shock people like sometimes featured on Jezebel or A Voice for Men.  He has just asked for consistency.

Toxic on the other hand...

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2019-04-22 18:18:00

Buggy

Spoonwood wrote:

Whatever has asked some good and fair questions.  He is in no way being an "edgelord", which involves using language designed to shock people like sometimes featured on Jezebel or A Voice for Men.  He has just asked for consistency.

Toxic on the other hand...

You are right I was thinking more about what toxic had said.
What I was trying to get across was arguing rarely if ever changes peoples minds and usually just adds fuel to the fire.  Whatever was just defending a position that I don't agree with sorry for lumping them in with toxic.

Last edited by Buggy (2019-04-22 18:40:57)

#23 2019-04-22 19:20:12

Solbusaur

Since it's a game, I don't think it should be taken that seriously since it's not physically happening to the user on the other end (There are exceptions with it, such as having experienced it IRL can trigger them). Obviously this shit is awful in real life, I'm in no way supporting it. The players are doing this since they find dark humour funny, or they're doing it for a meme, although if someone doesn't like it, then tell them to stop. If they continue, it's completely fine to kill/curse them. Heck, it's fine even without telling them if you find it wrong.

Edit:
I don't see how bouncing on a child's character (When the playermodel is adult) makes them a pedo though, seems odd to me to assume that, since the offender wouldn't even know if a child is playing

Last edited by Solbusaur (2019-04-22 19:21:01)

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#24 2019-04-22 20:11:05

DestinyCall

Solbusaur wrote:

Since it's a game, I don't think it should be taken that seriously since it's not physically happening to the user on the other end (There are exceptions with it, such as having experienced it IRL can trigger them). Obviously this shit is awful in real life, I'm in no way supporting it. The players are doing this since they find dark humour funny, or they're doing it for a meme, although if someone doesn't like it, then tell them to stop. If they continue, it's completely fine to kill/curse them. Heck, it's fine even without telling them if you find it wrong.

Edit:
I don't see how bouncing on a child's character (When the playermodel is adult) makes them a pedo though, seems odd to me to assume that, since the offender wouldn't even know if a child is playing

I don't think anyone is saying that what happens in the game is the same as if it happened in real life.     But certain kinds of interactions are yucky and inappropriate.   Pretending to abduct children so you can do naughty things to them when you are alone?   Yeah, don't do that.   Gross.    Walking up behind females while naked and humping their tile repeatedly?   Also gross.  Please grow up.   Calling dark-skinned characters racist slurs and making slavery jokes?     Keep it classy folks. 

It's important to remember that even though this is "just a game", every villager is a real person with real feelings and real history with violence, racism, sexism, and worse.   Do you really want to pretend to have sex with a random female character that is being controlled by a twelve year old?   Maybe the other player is a 30 year old white guy, but there are plenty of kids who play this game.  And women and minorities and victims of abuse/violence.   

You don't have to treat every person you meet like a special snowflake and never say or do anything the least bit offensive ... but I really don't think it is too much to ask that you resist the urge to make rape jokes when mixed company ... in life OR in the game.

#25 2019-04-22 21:53:19

Averest

Great playerbase we got here. Good to know you got your fellow players' backs. Guess you can't expect much really. What a bunch of weak sauce.

If you don't draw a line, you condone this kind of behavior. You are part of the problem.

Board footer