One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-14 08:24:11

Whatever

The Life-Time-Curse-Score

Every time you get a curse, this curse will stay forever in your life time curse score.
Read more here: https://onehouronelife.gamepedia.com/Curse#Curse_Score

This means that you might get punished for every curse you have ever gotten.
Sometimes random people curse for random reasons. Or griefers curse you.
So the more you play the more this system punishes you.

The life time curse score should decay over time.

(i am not a griefer, i never went to dt, but i still think this system sucks)

#2 2019-04-14 08:25:14

futurebird

Re: The Life-Time-Curse-Score

What is the threshold, though? Is it like 5 curses or 20?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-14 10:29:12

breezeknight

you are mistaken

Curse Score

For every hour you play, one curse point will be removed from your score. But the time will only count if you have lived for longer than 10 minutes. So if you live for five minutes, that will not go towards decreasing your curse score, but living for 15 minutes will decrease your time by 15 minutes. Curse scores are global. So if you are cursed once on three different servers your curse score will still be 3.

so yeah,
decay is what you make it
you live uncursed & you'll never see DT

btw, i don't grief, never been to DT, been cursed few times but lived much more times uncursed, so no worries there
& even, if i should ever get to DT, i have no problems with being a childless Eve

- - -

#4 2019-04-14 10:35:42

Whatever

@breezeknight there is also life time curse score that will not get smaller

The amount of time served in Donkey Town is a fixed rate, based on your lifetime curse score (The total amount of curses ever received) as seen in the table below. Repeat offenders who keep bothering people as a way of life, will eventually serve 5 hours every time they go to donkey town. A brand new player who tries something once will spend only a half hour in Donkey Town.

@futurebird i dont know what the threshold is

#5 2019-04-14 10:46:55

breezeknight

your score goes down while you play in regular game, as quoted

the high score is amounted by players who just can't get over the fact that players are killable in this game, so they kill repeadedly & get cursed repeadedly

to reach such a high score, which doesn't go down as easily, you have to grief run after run & get cursed a big amount of times

if you've never got to DT, then you worry about scores which are completely out your griefing league smile

why is this global life time score for repeated offenders necessary ?
to prevent the sitting out until the score goes down & then grief again the heck out of it

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-14 10:53:08)

#6 2019-04-14 11:00:51

Whatever

breezeknight all curses you have ever gotten are saved and will not vanish.
that is the lifetime curse score. I dont know exactly what it does but it influences the time you spend in dt.
So maybe you never were in dt, but if you go for the first time it might be already 3 hours or more, because you collected many curses from previous lives combined.
The more you play the more curses you will collect.
This is especially bad for streamers.

#7 2019-04-14 11:13:30

breezeknight

Kilian wrote:

To be fair:
This systems forces me to let obvious griefers kill before I can fight them back.

how do you "fight back" in OHOL ?
lol

Otherwise I get cursed into nirvana

killed players rarely curse
already because one has only one curse token per hour played tops

And even more problematic is that Eve-chaining (even on empty servers) is not possible while in Donkey-Mode. This prohibits one from going above Eve-lvl and thus makes the game mostly unplayable.

either empty severs or DT

Eve chaining is not any objective of OHOL

DT is punishment & not a reward

curses don't make the game unplayable

- - -

#8 2019-04-14 14:18:07

hmrka

The more you play the more curses you collect, yes. I think there should be a way for redemption, maybe every month the curse threshold would up itself by one (so someone with a threshold of 3 would go back to 4, someone with 6 would go back to 7, etc) , or If you don't get cursed in a long time

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

#9 2019-04-14 14:23:06

futurebird

If you get no curses for a month you go down a level. Or maybe if you only get one curse over a whole month. But, you would need to also play at least 3 normal hours of the game in that month.

---
omnem cibum costis

#10 2019-04-14 14:29:33

futurebird

If you have been playing this game longer you may notice the signs of griefing before other people. Rather than just killing at this stage, you should warn others. This may cause the griefer to alter course or when they do start playing nasty everyone will know you were right and support you killing them or kill them for you.

This is a social game. If people curse you because they are confused about you killing a grifer it's at least part on you to find ways to communicate better. I'd rather have one broken sheep pen or one murder and a town united against a griefer than a mysterious time wasting murder where you don't know who is the grifer since it seemed to come out of nowhere and the drama that comes after that. Some people will "take revenge" and that can start the kind of murder chain that kills a town.

In this game you don't carry on credibility from previous lives, you have have to earn it each time. If the first contact with you is you killed someone who seemed fine to me I'm going to think YOU are the problem. It's easy to prevent this with communication. Establish your suspicions bring people in to what you have been noticing. And then you don't get blowback curses.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-04-14 14:54:11)

---
omnem cibum costis

#11 2019-04-14 15:15:40

DestinyCall

Kilian wrote:

I fight back by killing them. That simple. Bans them from the current town and lets the smallfolk (normal, nice players) have their peace.

Have you considered fighting back by cursing them?   If they are a griefer, it won't take many curses to send them to donkey town and their lifetime curse score will grow higher.   

Unless you are good at talking your way out of a bad situation, you shouldn't stab a random person in the center of a village and expect your actions to be approved by others.

Killing people before they have done anything overtly wrong in the eyes of the village makes YOU the disruptive force that needs to be dealt with.   Many times, new players have no idea that subtle griefing is happening unless it impacts them directly.  You might feel justified in killing a bad seed, but if you are the only one who noticed the person's behavior was strange, why should people trust the words of a confirmed murderer?   Not everyone is aware of their surroundings or keeps tabs on everyone in the village.   And they don't know you or understand why you suddenly went crazy and killed their sister/mother/brother/uncle.   

Long story short, if you keep doing something that gets you cursed .. stop doing it.

#12 2019-04-14 15:32:55

DestinyCall

Whatever wrote:

breezeknight all curses you have ever gotten are saved and will not vanish.
that is the lifetime curse score. I dont know exactly what it does but it influences the time you spend in dt.
So maybe you never were in dt, but if you go for the first time it might be already 3 hours or more, because you collected many curses from previous lives combined.
The more you play the more curses you will collect.
This is especially bad for streamers.

If the stats you have collected have proven anything, it is that you can play this game for a very very long time without killing or getting cursed.    Some long time players have very very low kill totals and very very low lifetime curse scores.   And you can also play this game for a very short time and get cursed a lot.    Your lifetime curse total reflects your play-style.   Some people are just more prone to receiving curses.   Yes, they accumulate the more you play, but a few random curses here or there aren't a huge problem for anyone.   If you focus on clean living, the chances of a bunch of people deciding to curse you at the same time "by mistake" are very low.  It is not going to happen often enough to be an issue, unless you are doing sketchy stuff and hoping that people trust your intentions are good.

Personally, I think it is important that veteran players are MORE accountable for their actions.  The longer you have been playing OHOL, the easier it is for you to grief in subtle ways.   The more likely you are to have reached a point where playing the game "normally" isn't as exciting anymore.   I don't think that a bored veteran who decides to start griefing towns to death by sabotage should get a shorter Donkey Town sentence than a new player who goes on a couple of murder sprees for the lols.     If their lifetime curse scores are equal, they should get the same punishment.    The veteran knows the rules and how to follow them.    They both knew they were doing wrong.  Letting the veteran player off easier because he's been doing this longer and knows how to use the systems is a big mistake.

If you find that you are frequently getting cursed for no reason, you need to take a step back and consider how to play better with other people.  You are having a negative impact on others, whether that was your intention or not.   People only have one curse token and if they are spending it on you instead of a real griefer, you are doing no one any favors. Or you can accept the fact that you are setting yourself up for a longer stay in DT someday and keep doing what you are doing.

#13 2019-04-15 09:47:08

pein

it's a big dumb system

ive just been cursed cause Joy Star II killed someone
old lady says curse Joy star II
everyone curses me a s Joy star
even if me and her told to say the II, no one did it

same thing happened with black text, people either hated it or thought is special
once half the town was chasing me and my cursed baby and they died one after another
cause they had a reason, even if they had no skill to kill them, they tried it, then they cursed cause they couldn't do it

now people go and convince others to curse

today in star family i seen someone got cursed by a pretty fast clicking player
reason: she put a stew on the main fire which was going out
also i seen griefers convince their kids to grief or kill

also some people run with bow at you for a bad word, and generally they provoke it out
i seen this players who only play as girl, don't work at all, take stuff what others made (generally males)
then if they say a word they go with a bow at them
if the player tries to defend themselves others just defend the girl anyway
basically curses you for not letting them kill you and you get ursed if you kill them
and they also go around for 40 min complaining on you

basically what you say is "oh i am good and i wont be cursed and they deserve punishment cause they are bad"
the other life i seen a kid snowballing a black guy
i stab him , turned out to be twins
now other chick comes home and im chasing other twin, before he could do any harm
basically he runs on the middle of the camp calling me a griefer and to curse me
i arrived and they realized it's me so no one cursed me
she didn't let me explain, she just "curse him"
talked with him on discord

basically  he told me that the kids were helpful cause they tried to hit the knife out of griefers hand
now this is stupid in many ways
first of all i didn't relaized it's talking  about me, cause you really got to be stupid to run to curse and  get killed for it but think that the person you cursed
second: you believe a kid over an adult who worked all her life
like how stupid you need to be to defend a kid who has a snowball at age 4 ?
and then even use the same stupid excuse as proof to curse without knowing what happened
i was talking calm but she didn't stop
now from experience, if i don't stop her she will curse me more, and convince others so better just kill her
then some kid comes to be the hero cause dint know what happened
honestly i would quit on a life but that just makes it worse

basically if you destroy a city, naked, without letting people see, you get away with it cause oh he is a new player
if you kill someone but no one sees and someone has any problem with it, you can just run aroudn and frame him/her, that completely stops the player from working or goes to donkey town anyway

back before we asked that killing players shouldn't be possible
but then jason, then how you defend against griefers?
so people acted nicely to not get killed, sure, if a no skill player messed around you could get rid of it easy
now all people got to do is to run around others and pretend to be nice

the thing is, newbees make more mistakes and they are bad judge of character, and they still view the game as roleplay
family before others, they steal and lie, then raise up a kid acting nice and convince to kill someone for them, no bad outcome for them, either is dead they wont be killed or cursed

so the mind games are very far and basically nothing prevents people to lie, frame
basically i don't even talk to people lately, but if you do the most important things in city and you mention it that they shouldn't extend berry field or ruin shovel, or you got that rabbits for a pack
they just start "you are mean"
so basically they would expect that you let them kill you and take away all your things you produced

lets be real, 90% of you who never kill, cant even defend a camp from griefers
and you totally think that healing a griefer is good, stabbing the player who kill the griefer is good
someone who is mean is bad
and on a fair duel, when both of you got weapons you would lose anyway

it's like walking in a porcelan shop with an elephant
i could easily kill a whoel town one by one, i could win most of my duels
or i could just steal everything from others or enprison them
yet i don't do it

i had framers, impersonators, if i post a lineage link or say my name people curse it for the lulls
i even had to get second account, shared with my bro so at least i choose when i uncurse myself

i think is unfair that no eve chaining for donkey town
i would sya that if you are a donkey, join s15 don't name anyone, and run a family line with girls only
a lot of donkeys were smart people, like i made an axe, fire, and just sit there, son brought like 6 bear rugs, fed me, tend to fire, and went out hunting more, havent even seen people in normal game who tned to fire that long
or other life my 2 kids helped to build a berry farm, make the first tools and we chilled in a fire talking, i even born back to them

either let people eve chain with other donkeys or do a special action to uncurse yourself, like a task or something
a timer woudlnt hurt for the curse score
and maybe some normal decay, if you don't play X hours goes down a bit

people curse for personal reasons only
i was a last survivor of the family and no one cursed the killers when i asked
but they curse someone who picks up a backpack faster than them

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#14 2019-04-15 10:17:03

PeaGirl

Kilian wrote:

To be fair:
This systems forces me to let obvious griefers kill before I can fight them back. Otherwise I get cursed into nirvana
And even more problematic is that Eve-chaining (even on empty servers) is not possible while in Donkey-Mode. This prohibits one from going above Eve-lvl and thus makes the game mostly unplayable.

Maybe good way of avoiding those casual killers who otherwise enjoying making their lone base as Eve.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#15 2019-04-15 10:24:53

PeaGirl

pein wrote:

it's like walking in a porcelan shop with an elephant
i could easily kill a whoel town one by one, i could win most of my duels
or i could just steal everything from others or enprison them
yet i don't do it

i had framers, impersonators, if i post a lineage link or say my name people curse it for the lulls
i even had to get second account, shared with my bro so at least i choose when i uncurse myself

i think is unfair that no eve chaining for donkey town
i would sya that if you are a donkey, join s15 don't name anyone, and run a family line with girls only
a lot of donkeys were smart people, like i made an axe, fire, and just sit there, son brought like 6 bear rugs, fed me, tend to fire, and went out hunting more, havent even seen people in normal game who tned to fire that long
or other life my 2 kids helped to build a berry farm, make the first tools and we chilled in a fire talking, i even born back to them

It's just sad that they don't have this "Respect is everything." mentality in normal servers that often. Considering that these edgy kids come from GTAV or other gang games.

I personally end up chatting casually with dying family either in early Eve or griefed dying family.
It's quite casual, although the survival aspect and the half minute warning of you dying in hunger kinda hurries people to make it happen.
Though, experience will only grow. There were dumb noobs back then, there will be always dumb noobs.
But bejeezus, this curse tossing discourages even those who haven't even done anything to deserve it. Griefers do but those who are wrongly named, accused and such. People especially without zoom mod are so blind of what would happen around, so this would easily happen unless there is a person who checks the surroundings all the time.

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#16 2019-04-15 10:26:35

breezeknight

if Joy Star is getting cursed instead of Joy Star II, that's not the problem of the curse system but the problem of the naming system

Jason has to revise the names sytem
eg players given only the first name cannot be cursed at all, they get away with griefing because they don't get cursed
it's a heavy exploit

& all those II & III & IV & so on is the stupidest way to solve the problem with repeating names
in a community as small as ours there shouldn't be any repeating names,
the same name given to a child at the same time as there is already someone with such a name, should be given just a similar name, there are enough names on that whitelist

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-15 10:27:01)

#17 2019-04-15 10:47:57

breezeknight

pein wrote:

lets be real, 90% of you who never kill, cant even defend a camp from griefers

i kill extremely seldom, that's a difference between killing as a rule & never killing
i am not a pacifist, but to kill in this multiplayer, where players spawn randomly somewhere & where it belongs to the core mechanics of the game that you don't know who you're playing with, plays into the hands of griefers, who can hide easy but also prevents players from realising what's going on at all
add to that, that i am playing vanilla, means no awbz info & no zoom & the life gets pretty hard to live already on itself

& not every player is using mods & not every player is on discord while playing
in fact, if i realise that a player is roleplaying, chatting on discord while playing, twinning, using awbz to manage the game, then i am out, cause i see all that as cheating & destroying my gameplay
& there is no value for me to play with players skewing & actually destroing the gameplay in those ways

and you totally think that healing a griefer is good, stabbing the player who kill the griefer is good
someone who is mean is bad
and on a fair duel, when both of you got weapons you would lose anyway

people kill & curse often not because they know what they are doing but because they want to get on with their life, without much thinking
where you see conviction i see confusion
players have seldom the knowledge what's going on at all & curse the wrong players, heal the wrong players & let die the wrong players, yes that happens
but as often happens also that they realise what's going on & kill & curse the right player & heal the right player
so, there is no reason for any panic

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-15 10:50:18)

#18 2019-04-15 20:43:27

Psykout

breezeknight wrote:

in fact, if i realise that a player is roleplaying, chatting on discord while playing, twinning, using awbz to manage the game, then i am out, cause i see all that as cheating & destroying my gameplay
& there is no value for me to play with players skewing & actually destroing the gameplay in those ways

- - -

Well thats rather extreme. I would say that every single life you play has at least one of those. Why so much negative energy towards people that come at the game from a different way. To me that appears that you are looking for any reason at all to give up on a group of people, which then begs the question why play an only multiplayer game.

#19 2019-04-16 02:04:43

Grim_Arbiter

Psykout wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

- - -

Well thats rather extreme. I would say that every single life you play has at least one of those. Why so much negative energy towards people that come at the game from a different way. To me that appears that you are looking for any reason at all to give up on a group of people, which then begs the question why play an only multiplayer game.

Agreed, with that logic if two friends who dont even use the fourms or discord twin together, they are dirty cheaters. I dont see it.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#20 2019-04-16 20:59:10

Glassius

breezeknight wrote:

& all those II & III & IV & so on is the stupidest way to solve the problem with repeating names

+

#21 2019-04-16 21:29:18

DestinyCall

Glassius wrote:
breezeknight wrote:

+

The name database is already set up to give you the "nearest match" if you select a weird/bad name.   Would it be possible to do the same thing for duplicate names?   That feels like a better fix to me.

#22 2019-04-16 22:33:30

Léonard

DestinyCall wrote:

The name database is already set up to give you the "nearest match" if you select a weird/bad name.   Would it be possible to do the same thing for duplicate names?   That feels like a better fix to me.

I like the idea.
It's kinda dumb that we had to come up with it because of people having too low of an IQ to notice there is an actual number next to certain people's names before cursing.
I do like however that it would mean I wouldn't have to put up with the billionth lazer. Or bob for that matter.

/cue in the people arguing against this because "not enough RP opportunities" because we "killed the bob cult".

Think about it though. Names could hold actual value. Imagine being the one and only original bob of your lineage.

#23 2019-04-17 03:05:02

Starknight_One

Léonard wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I like the idea.
It's kinda dumb that we had to come up with it because of people having too low of an IQ to notice there is an actual number next to certain people's names before cursing.
I do like however that it would mean I wouldn't have to put up with the billionth lazer. Or bob for that matter.

/cue in the people arguing against this because "not enough RP opportunities" because we "killed the bob cult".

Think about it though. Names could hold actual value. Imagine being the one and only original bob of your lineage.

Make each name unique (per server) for the lifetime of its owner + two hours. (Or possibly three hours from naming?) Thus no possibility of cursing the wrong Bob Smith.

#24 2019-04-21 18:33:48

hmrka

bump.

It just makes you less into the game because you cant allow yourself to really interact with people. Even roleplaying (the harmless kind, no killing, no bad words etc) has gotten me a few curses... 

Jason please, something like this could work :

futurebird wrote:

If you get no curses for a month you go down a level. Or maybe if you only get one curse over a whole month. But, you would need to also play at least 3 normal hours of the game in that month.

Also, the people saying random curses dont affect you? wrong! Slowly, your curse score will rise up and one time when someone decides to frame you, you will be in donkey town very quickly. I got cursed today because I named one guy lady, and less than 4 curses got me into there for five hours... As much as I hate griefers, the curse system is broken. It punishes all people who play a lot.

I sign my ingame notes as Gio or Truz.
big baby: https://i.imgur.com/ZoLRpb3.png
most kids: https://i.imgur.com/3Vmffb4.png

Board footer