One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-21 00:45:44

PeaGirl

What would you do, if you were to rebuild in old, decaying city?

Said question above ^

In said decaying cities, where there are items all over the place, possibly in huge mess, lots of knives and other weapons. It might feel frigging overwhelming, I do agree. But if you begin to replace the decaying items with new ones with anything available in the city (which often times is stocked with them, hoes, compost etc.)

-Personally, knowing that there is at least one basket helps you go a long way. If there are materials at hand, for example unused buttlogs, boards, and stuff, I'd go for at least 1 cart, if all the vehicles in city have already decayed.
-If found any clothing, perhaps try to dress anything best possible, especially if you have to do outside errands far away from food, for e.x. rabbits.
-Farm wheat!!!!!! You need to replace baskets, because decaying baskets are ticking timebombs. Those will burst all the items all over the place, so having plenty of wheat ongoing, if any compost remaining or any other source, or hoes. With bread update it is easier to use the huge amounts of wheat without needing of sheep meat.
-hammer the unnecessary knives. 2-3 knives is enough to have. You get short shaft for kindling and blade for using on bowl for scrap metal. Also handy if there is iron tool shortage, or you need to have tools coming without worry, but don't have anything else but stockload of knives.
-Hunt rabbits. You'll need your family to carry items all over the messy city, so having bags for them will help ease their workload trementously. Having at least 2-4 baskets from farmed wheat, a cart is ideal, and the made/found rabbit snares in savannas (if any around).

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#2 2019-04-21 00:47:09

futurebird

Re: What would you do, if you were to rebuild in old, decaying city?

No need to farm wheat if you have a nearby desert. Put a threshing branch in a cart and use all the desert wheat (there is so much more than people think) to make baskets.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-21 00:48:09

futurebird

Nice bonus you can hunt rabbits at the same time as you make the baskets and solve the clothing and basket issue in one activity.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-21 01:41:15

Spoonwood

futurebird wrote:

No need to farm wheat if you have a nearby desert. Put a threshing branch in a cart and use all the desert wheat (there is so much more than people think) to make baskets.

I'm more often heard the brown biome, the hottest one, referred to as a desert.  Official names don't exist, so I don't mean to say that you are wrong calling it a desert, but it might confuse someone else easily.  To try to make things clearer, the biome with the wheat, rabbits, beans, squash, corn, and bison has gotten called a prairie or a savannah and has a yellow color.  That's what you referred to.

Before I've managed to get out of town, go to some swamp or prairie make a basket/multiple baskets and then bring home resources like rope, iron, limestone, or round stones.  I do use a zoom mod, so there's that to consider.  Doing such I think best for a man or woman past her fertility period, but I have some confidence in saying that some women do this also.  I think it's a good thing to think about doing before the 10 hour period of basket decay so that if the town survives, people will have baskets ready to go once the early produced baskets decay.  Of course though, if you do that, you might not have much yum (oh well I say... more rope for buckets or carts I think worth it for the town), but as long as you can handle getting wild food you should be fine.  And you will have more vulnerability in the wild than at home often enough (though griefers), so I can see why people wouldn't want to risk their necks in this way.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-04-21 01:48:40)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-04-21 02:48:10

Baker

In big dead towns, I always try to scrap a lot of the knives before people can hoard them. Then just use the steel to make new tools assuming that a lot of things are broken/missing. After that, I build lots of new baskets, handcarts, and get a composting cycle going. If you're lucky, There would be some advanced clothes around. If not then I'd go get furs after the town itself is fixed up.
But I'd still want to keep yum as high as I can to repopulate, Even Eve's that spawn in towns often die out within a few gens. You just gotta hope that the town died because of bad rng with kids rather than bad design or griefing. If it was obviously griefed, It's a good idea to look behind any tree's for hidden goodies.

You tend to get more kids who care because they lived in the town before. People in Eve hell are often grateful for a city even if it is ruined.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#6 2019-04-21 05:11:27

pein

yeah, hide one knife further, like 50 tiles
once i was killed by triplet guys, who i starved but they came back and killed the females with a knife i couldn't store
then even cursed me

people didn't do anything useful, and i wasn't complete with the compost yet, i made baskets and raised kids when the triplets kill everyone

the bigger the town the less chance to get anything nearby
very rarely the biome regenerates but the town stands

so just hide or destroy weapons and don't keep kids until the compost is made

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Board footer