One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-20 06:56:49

Baker

My experiance with private property.

It's okay but a real pain to set up, especially if you build near town. People will accidentally or on perpose wreck your fences. Annoyingly you can dupe the twigs so basically, it is the next clutter item. 

Honestly, it seemed to mostly get in the way. At one point I had the only carrot farm in town within my fenced area, I ended up adding most the town anyways because people needed my resources. But it was kind of nice having resources I could use for what I wanted, without worrying about people eating up my carrots every second.  Just not when I got the ONLY source of said resources in town, That's hell.

Maybe it's more useful to your kids. But in the long term, it's not much different from just making stuff outside of town.

"I came in shitting myself and I'll go out shitting myself"

#2 2019-04-20 07:16:37

DestinyCall

Re: My experiance with private property.

I just had a life where someone kept building long fences around the town, over and over, trying to trap the town behind an endless property fence.   The infinite sticks are quite bad.    We'd clear one fence line, only to find another one crop up further out or on the other side of town.  So stupid and not a fun way to spend a decent chunk of my life, tearing down a damn fence.

#3 2019-04-20 07:18:25

Thaulos

You can add an area in front for dumping the resources.

#4 2019-04-20 07:23:06

Thaulos

Also you don't need to tear down every single fence. It will decay relatively soon. Just do it on a couple places.

#5 2019-04-20 07:31:13

DestinyCall

A shaky property fence will mature after twenty minutes into a property fence.  The property fence will turn into a rickety fence after thirty minutes and the rickety fence will drop back to a proposed property fence in another thirty minutes.  The proposed fence will decay after ten minutes.   

So if you come across a shaky fence that surrounds your whole town, you probably SHOULD take down as much as you can.   Ninety minutes is a long time to wait for a fence to decay on its own if it is positioned to block off your town.   Yes, you can get away with poking a few holes, but I'd rather tear down large sections.

#6 2019-04-20 07:37:20

Whatever

DestinyCall that was probably me you saw lol,
stop grifing my fences, i just want to have property
Instead help me to secure the town with a nice fence

Last edited by Whatever (2019-04-20 07:38:43)

#7 2019-04-20 15:14:36

futurebird

The fence item needs to decay fast imo. Maybe in 5 min if you don't do anything with it.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#8 2019-04-20 18:00:05

voy178

Whatever wrote:

You mean construct deathtraps obviously.

#9 2019-04-20 18:48:14

DestinyCall

Whatever wrote:

No, it was someone else.   Trapping an entire town behind an unbreakable wall is not an original idea.  It is basically the first thing that comes to mind when you realize the sticks are infinitely spammable.   

If you are a terrible person who enjoys trapping people, that is.

#10 2019-04-20 19:22:56

Grim_Arbiter

My experience was literally just those people building outside of town building and just taking whatever resources they wanted from the town, back to their land.. I mean its normal in this game to take from town.. but maybe it occurs at double the rate as usual now..

Just a lot of old fence relics, and looted sites.

I did have a guy yell at my daughter for being in his yard, and had to run and grab her.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#11 2019-04-20 20:12:20

DestinyCall

I see these fences ending up like Twinning.   Some people will want to use them for good, but enough people will abuse the fences and gates for evil purposes to poison the whole system.   

I don't trust ANYONE building fences in or near the town.  Even if they say they are harmless and just want a farm or house, the fences are natural death traps/prisons/road blocks.   If they add a gate to the fence, it is even worse, since they now control access to the inner space and can trap unwary people inside or steal tools/resources that they didn't make or gather themselves.  It is beyond dumb.

#12 2019-04-20 20:27:40

Tarr
Banned

DestinyCall wrote:

I see these fences ending up like Twinning.   Some people will want to use them for good, but enough people will abuse the fences and gates for evil purposes to poison the whole system.   

I don't trust ANYONE building fences in or near the town.  Even if they say they are harmless and just want a farm or house, the fences are natural death traps/prisons/road blocks.   If they add a gate to the fence, it is even worse, since they now control access to the inner space and can trap unwary people inside or steal tools/resources that they didn't make or gather themselves.  It is beyond dumb.

Basically this. It's already been proven you can entrap a whole city without the people realizing along with trapping people inside fence pens with gates (babies and adults). The best I did was make a little compost farm with my neighbor who was growing carrots but besides cute stuff like that in the current game there's no need for this sort of system.

I'd rather just make an actual building that doesn't require constant repair which will actually be used by people instead of some little fence. Hell, I can even lock it and pass on keys to people who I want access to it (even though locking it would be a waste of all our time.)

I'm sure it won't be long until we start getting people tossing all of the towns stuff in a locked fence area and being stuck standing around or remaking things to just get stolen again.

fug it’s Tarr.

#13 2019-04-20 22:05:30

Amon

While I'm just having fun and contributing in amusing ways with hte fence, such is only so because I don't have the heart to mess with other people's enjoyment of the game.
I've seen plenty enough people accidentally wreck my fence, however more often than enough people seemed amused by them.

One of the better usages I've seen of these fences for non intended usage was marking paths and buildig up snake/mosquito buffer zones and baby pens.
But then there's people death traps, trapping in guests, trapping whole town, making un-navigate-able formations...

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-20 22:06:41)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#14 2019-04-20 22:20:52

PeaGirl

Oooh dear I am not gonna be ready to see myself being blocked in nursing building with crying babies, baskets of pies and springed doors that block you when the other side is blocked by someone else's property gate.
Nope. Nope nope nope nope xd

If you ever enter Pea (Helkama turns into random name) family, you need the lottery ticket picked up. My baby names given can be absolutely random.
"Are you fueled with peasoup or why you keep running off from temperature tile?"

#15 2019-04-20 23:23:20

Sukallinen

There is a reason to make it this way, I have no doubt it will be fixed later on. For now it's testing purposes, which is fast if you have lots of material.

This has been repeatedly done, and I see Jason's point in doing it-get some kind of possibilities what is done and then fix it. If he were to make it bit by bit, it would take a lot more time and effort to balance it out !

So, I see nothing wrong. Go test, and if you don't like to, take a pause in playing. But basically it is good design because: J's time is precious and this way he can have testing done in fast !

Also, this thread hasn't had many ideas how to fix, why not concentrate on that. Someone will gather them with reasons WHY etc and things will reach near-optimal solution faster than originally limiting stuff IMO. This has happened in other occasions and if you refuse to see the pattern it's on you.

MY SUGGESTION: make very hard to destroy gate that is always open, can never be closed until destroyed. It's faster to limit size of bloated berryfarms and help ppl to stick around the game long enough to learn and compliment it so more newbies buy the game and give J some income...

#16 2019-04-20 23:32:58

futurebird

I'm trying to use the fences "as intended" and running in to a lot of people being jerks. Another person stole the enclosure I built. I'm taking a break until this settles down. Yeeeesh.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

Board footer