One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-19 01:04:53

Matbat

I think property fences will be fine

Personal gardens for mass producing crops without worry things will go missing
Personal storage for clothes you made or found and want to pass to specific people (giving hard workers their just reward of good stuff)
Safe storage for materials *you* want to make sure are used on specific projects or objects
(say, a spare pile of steel specifically for tools, furs for packs that -don't- need to be made, or wool balls for cloth bolts)
Cheap "houses" to protect people from harsh conditions
Potential for full apocalypses

Sure greed and selfishness can disrupt or completely flip the stated above, but if we continue sharing and caring this new
update has potential to be more beneficial than everyone thinks it going to be horrible
We'll see and shapes ourselves how things go.
If anything, just figure out who owns the place and communally murder them if you don't want private spaces or specific people to own things.

#2 2019-04-19 01:14:28

Bob 101

Re: I think property fences will be fine

Both systems have downsides, So many people want society to be perfect but that's impossible.

I'd personally rather privatize most farms so they can be ran efficiently. It may be a bit harder to aquire some things but less Chance of it being fucked up.

Last edited by Bob 101 (2019-04-19 01:19:05)

#3 2019-04-19 01:17:21

futurebird

I can't imagine making clothing and letting it sit not being used decaying when even someone I don't like much could use it and thus eat less food. And people I don't like in game are really rare.

I guess one could stock-pile rabbits or rabbit furs at least you aren't letting it sit there and rot. But, even then it just seems odd. I'd rather put a backpack on a noob then wait 10min to put it on my favorite person since that pack could save the noob's life in that time.

I can see using them for farms. I could wall off a stew farm work inside not be bothered sit the food outside when done to be taken. In fact, the more I think about it I DON'T want anything of easy value in my area, I just want people to stay out and not move things. So, I could make a zone to make pie and put them out when done, make clothing shearing sheep and feeding them (with small farm) put out clothing when done etc.

I'm not super gloomy about this update either, but I think people will work to break any areas stocked with "valuables" like clothing, ready to eat food etc.

In fact, I think I would object to such hoards, it's wasteful.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-04-19 01:24:06

Redram

The thing is, you already had the ability to do this.   you already had the ability to make a 'safe' work space.  But Jason thought people needed the ability to have 'private property' early.   Remember that you're going to spend many minutes setting up the fence, getting it to solidify, and then you'll have to 'reset' it every 50 minutes or so.  Is it really that much better than simply building a normal walled building that could last the life of the town?   Is it better than if he'd just added the gates by themselves, and had people still build the buildings proper?  I guess we'll see.

#5 2019-04-19 01:31:39

futurebird

My hope it that people will not go in to fenced areas even before they are solid. It's there is a connotation of the type of fence that says "respect this boundary expect to be yelled at if you don't" When I yell at people to "get out of the bakery if you aren't working" surprisingly most people do leave. Maybe me having a knife has something to do with that... lol, but still. I think people will try out not going in the fenced areas and complain or destroy them if the town can't function with those boundaries...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-04-19 01:31:39

Tarr
Banned

It's hard to be optimistic about something when there are many ways to abuse such a system. Sure we /might/ see some little personal gardens and that could be a nice addition to the game but we will definitely see things such as hoarding all the stuff in the town or baby death camps. We might see people try to make little houses to pass onto their children but we will see fence clutter everywhere or incredibly obstructive fence/gate formations.

I would have rather seen cold neutral buildings receive a buff first then some sort of privacy stuff for houses since it makes sense to lock things in a useful building. Anything of value (cars/planes) will be hidden in the wilderness like always, the only stuff you would store inside is stuff like clothing which is mostly wasteful since it serves a better purpose on others.

fug it’s Tarr.

#7 2019-04-19 01:32:07

Thaulos

I think people are way overreacting. Lets wait and see how it goes. As far as I gather people are mostly worried Jason would leave something broken in the game for months and months instead of addressing it if the implementation goes wrong.

I hadn't even considered apocalypses lol. Lets see how viable will they be now.

#8 2019-04-19 07:12:54

Amon

I don't think property fences like those are wrong, I just think the addition of them in the current state of the game is a bit untimely. Especially since concepts like pesonal houses aren't a thing yet.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#9 2019-04-19 07:21:05

BladeWoods

I expect trading still won't happen, but property fences should be useful at the very least for things like animal pens, locking bear caves away, and mosquito trapping. I'm interested to see how it'll turn out. I also expect the free cost of the fencing means it'll be used to grief and they'll be clutter issues, and so there's gonna need to be some small cost added later for fencing.

Last edited by BladeWoods (2019-04-19 07:28:00)

Board footer