One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-04-16 23:07:57

honikker

Re: I just quit on this game

Léonard wrote:
honikker wrote:

The ever-general they cry at every little inconvenience, it's no wonder people grief--it's easy as pie to get a rise out of people around here over something as simple as playing "inefficiently."

Quite ironic that you would complain about people complaining while simultaneously complaining about stuff that's been argued to death already..

Being a redundant contrarian is my specialty.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#27 2019-04-16 23:19:37

JonySky
Website

YannaChan wrote:
JonySky wrote:
YannaChan wrote:

offtopic but,I was actually in the livestream your mother was streaming, she was sorry but I can kinda understand why you would be mad.

Can you tell me who was the streamer? I would like to see it, ty

It was KuroMegumi on Twitch, she's livestreaming right now, currently.

thanks YannaChan
I checked the live show yesterday and there was no reason to curse me ... it was not necessary ...

this is the lineage of this family:
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=4123823

#28 2019-04-17 10:34:09

omlinson

DestinyCall wrote:
BladeWoods wrote:

If the game was much more popular, donkey town could be an actual town full of people instead of a lonely place.

I don't think DonkeyTown works like that.  The next person will just spawn as an Eve, far away from the last person.   There is no real chance of an actual town developing in DT.  Just a bunch of failed Eve camps.

My first and only trip to donkey town started as someone's kid. The same rules apply as normal life.

I actually missed Donkey Town so  started playing on a local server alone. The only difference here is I set myself to spawn next to my lsat Eve regardless of my age. This allows me to work on multi generation projects and actually learn from A to Z without interruptions.

It has given me a new respect for a lot of player accomplishments.

#29 2019-04-17 15:54:45

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, Donkey Town isn't working quite as well as it should.  The donkey's should all be together, but I essentially just phoned this part of it in, to get it up and running, and avoid intersection problems, and also to avoid DT being "better" than non-DT (if they all spawned in the same spot, trans-gen projects might be easier in DT or whatever).  So they all just spawn using the same Eve Spiral algorithm, but far away from the main spiral.  I never revisited this part of the code, and I should, but keeping Donkeys happy wasn't a huge priority (there are so few players who have been to DT... like 3% or something).

HOWEVER....

DT may be removed entirely at some point.... if the property system takes off and becomes widely used, it will curtail most of the "unstoppable griefing" that plagues the game.

#30 2019-04-17 16:35:41

JonySky
Website

jasonrohrer wrote:

Yes, Donkey Town isn't working quite as well as it should.  The donkey's should all be together, but I essentially just phoned this part of it in, to get it up and running, and avoid intersection problems, and also to avoid DT being "better" than non-DT (if they all spawned in the same spot, trans-gen projects might be easier in DT or whatever).  So they all just spawn using the same Eve Spiral algorithm, but far away from the main spiral.  I never revisited this part of the code, and I should, but keeping Donkeys happy wasn't a huge priority (there are so few players who have been to DT... like 3% or something).

HOWEVER....

DT may be removed entirely at some point.... if the property system takes off and becomes widely used, it will curtail most of the "unstoppable griefing" that plagues the game.

Thanks Jason for that review ...

Anyway, I would like to ask your thoughts about baby suicides and if you plan to create some punishment / curse with this?
Currently the population of OHOL players uses this system (/ DIE) to "travel" to a city more suited to that player
this causes extinctions of early lineages and overcrowded cities

Child suicide is more harmful than a single person with a knife or a griefer

I think all the damage a griefer can do is repairable
even a murderer can only kill a person before suffering a large mobility penalty
if the city takes advantage of this mobility penalty the killer is eliminated without complications

but child suicide can not be countered in any way
in a single day I have registered 3000 infant Suicides ....

I think the numbers have skyrocketed and I think it should be countered in some way

Additionally, I would like to comment that the current curse system should also be revised
I have seen new players try to create objects, feathers, etc ... and other more "experienced" players curse them and kill them because they think they are trolls or griefers
He's a new player! It's not fair ... Why should he be punished? this is a reality now
Lately I do not see players in a virtual family, the only thing I see are robots from an assembly line
and if these robots examine your work and do not execute it as they want, they curse you and kill you

it seems that they are playing factorio and not OHOL
They only think about productivity and efficiency ... but a family is not like that

I do not think it's fair Jason

Last edited by JonySky (2019-04-17 17:02:05)

#31 2019-04-17 16:38:42

futurebird

I think the /die issue is very serious but cursing isn't the right response. It will just make people go back to running which is worse. I think that pregnancy preview is the best way to reduce the /die issue.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … die_issue/

It's doing well at the suggestion reddit...

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#32 2019-04-17 20:07:41

Léonard

honikker wrote:

It's not so much being redundant as being a hypocrite.

Sure, we're "evil robots" who worry and argue about efficiency.
But while this is happening, you come here and threaten us with griefing because we're "suiciding too much".
Like a OHOL terrorist of some sort..

Forgive me but, compared to you, the people of this forum are very reasonable.
We're the adults having a reasonable conversation and you're the children who come to our table and say "You didn't give me my chocolate so I'm going to be as disruptive as possible!!!! :'(".
That's right. You look like children to us.
I think it was MultiLife who already pointed this out, "you're throwing a fit".
Yeah. That's exactly what's going on.
"The adults are too busy talking so I'm going to throw a fit so they will pay attention to me!!"

JonySky wrote:

this causes extinctions of early lineages and overcrowded cities

The /DIE command isn't what's causing this.
People not wanting to play is.
You said it yourself. You recognized it and yet you still try to hinder honest people for no reason.
It's written, white on black, here:

JonySky wrote:

I recognize that the / die command is not the problem of all this ... I've been playing OHOL for 1 year and I remember when it still did not exist / die
I remember the children running out alerting all the bears they found while committing suicide

You recognized it.
All you're going to accomplish by limiting /die is creating more runner babies.
Nice! You definitely solved the underlying problem!

Why?
Would you rather have a dozen bears roaming outside of town because of running babies or baby bones?
The choice is very quick for me.
It's been said billions of time at this point but I'll say it again: YOU CANNOT FORCE PEOPLE TO PLAY WHERE THEY DON'T WANT TO.

JonySky wrote:

Child suicide is more harmful than a single person with a knife or a griefer

This is like comparing apples to oranges.
Child suicide is NOT griefing.

Child suicide is also less harmful than not having the option.
Like I said, would you rather have dozens of bears roaming outside of town or baby bones?
Why do you insist on keeping people who fundamentally do not want to be with you in your town?
It's even dangerous I'd argue.
If they're forced and bored, wouldn't their only choice be griefing?
What if they take the town down with them to make sure they don't run into the same problem again?
And it's not the same as you threatening to grief because of suicide babies. You're legitimately leaving innocent people with no choices other than to grief your town.
It's ridiculous.

Why don't you argue about the fact that using /die can still leave the cooldown on, effectively limiting the amount of babies you may have?
Why aren't you constructive and trying to find a way that would actually make more people want to stay with you and reduce the number of people who don't?
But no. Instead you'd rather sit there and blame other people for this.

#33 2019-04-17 20:08:57

Léonard

---SPLIT---
Because yes, I know, I make gigantic posts.
But this next part, I believe, is crucially important.

JonySky wrote:

I think the numbers have skyrocketed and I think it should be countered in some way

This actually is true in some sense, but not for the reason that you think.
The /die command has existed for a little while already.
Only recently has the amount of babies not wanting to play has increased.

This is very important.
I noticed it myself but not just with baby suicide.
What I noticed is that after the last update and the server reset, a bell town emerged.
You know that town. The one with a pen right in the middle, a loom right under it and the worst poop spam in OHOL history.

I only got there twice. The people there were having absolute fun. Making, dying and trying out the new clothes. Trying the new content that Jason made.
They were happy and prospered. People would have harmless snowball fights. Geese making and killing. Mariages. All sorts of stuff.
Then I noticed. After I died from that town and played normally in other villages, EVERY SINGLE HORSES WERE GONE.
I didn't really understand why, so I kept bringing and taming a couple every lives.
They would be stolen by migrating people EVERY SINGLE TIME without fail.
It was not long after the reset so the town was still a couple thousand tiles away at best.
Yes. They all wanted to go back to the town.

And this also happened with the absolute swarm of radio builders when the radio update happened.
People were building radio stuff left and right, even if there still was technological advancement to be made in their current village.

I think this hints at what is really happening here.
People are STARVING FOR NEW CONTENT.
We had been begging Jason for this loom clothing update for far longer than planes.
And finally, he gave it, and people once again had something new to do.
People are utterly bored with this game.
Where is the content we've been promised?
"I'll be staying one step ahead by updating the game every week".
Where? Where did this promise go, Jason?

People are tired of Jason focusing on the way people play his game rather than adding new content like he promised.
Keep adding new content like was promised to add depth to the game rather than trying to change the way people behave which happened only because they're trying to make up for the absolute lack thereof.

Add content for the game. Add depth.
Make people able to upgrade the berry farms, perhaps with irrigation?
Add content for BOTH type of camps: early and late.
People will have more of a reason to stay. They will want to try new things in early camps.
Variety, diversity, depth.
I guarantee you will have less baby suicides.

And by the way, this also applies to the problem of modern society and the emergence of property.
I have been thinking of making a serious post discussing in depth the implications of this.
But, basically, the fact that people are utterly bored combined with the fact that there is no tech to reliably support bigger and denser population is the reason OHOL civilization is stuck in the sharing village state.

Not only are people bored in cities because of the total lack of new content, but they are stuck with doing the same thing over and over again in order to survive.
If there was more content and more tech that allowed us to be even more efficient with food, then we would have a chance at property emerging naturally.
It's a known fact that such type of civilizations historically evolved when the population grew bigger and denser which happened only because people could be even more efficient with production.
Big civilizations always existed near rivers because of irrigation. They could irrigate their crops and as such sustain denser and bigger populations.

In a current OHOL village, there are 20 people tops. You can see and know what everyone is doing. Baking? Smithing? Or maybe a griefer?
But with a bigger population, you find yourself with a surplus of food and the problem of distribution arises.
You don't know everyone, so do you give free pies to everyone? Even if it might be a griefer? Or do you give the pies to the people whom you deem productive and are interested in the good of your city?
If you could optimise food production, people could overtake big projects, such as a greater and privatized (via buildings) food production.
They could then use pies as currency. Modern problems require modern solutions.
You would have a primitive form of government. A primitive society with a primitive form of property.

But for that, you need more people playing in a given city (less baby suicides).
And for that, you need new content.
New content which would allow even more efficient production which would give a chance to an ever-growing population to actually organize itself into a primitive form of government and actually sustain itself.
That's how this works. Making magic fences will hardly make people come up with property as being a sharing village will still be the most viable option if there's barely 20 people in town.

#34 2019-04-17 20:34:22

DaTrüf!

This game reminds me of Town of Salem, they always lynch the innocent person....

>Me: *writes detailed post on pit bull griefing and details how to prevent it*
>Community: GRIEEEEEEEEEEEEFFFFFFFER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#35 2019-04-17 20:40:39

honikker

Léonard wrote:
honikker wrote:

It's not so much being redundant as being a hypocrite.

Sure, we're "evil robots" who worry and argue about efficiency.
But while this is happening, you come here and threaten us with griefing because we're "suiciding too much".
Like a OHOL terrorist of some sort..

Forgive me but, compared to you, the people of this forum are very reasonable.
We're the adults having a reasonable conversation and you're the children who come to our table and say "You didn't give me my chocolate so I'm going to be as disruptive as possible!!!! :'(".
That's right. You look like children to us.
I think it was MultiLife who already pointed this out, "you're throwing a fit".
Yeah. That's exactly what's going on.
"The adults are too busy talking so I'm going to throw a fit so they will pay attention to me!!"

The line you seem to be having apparently major issues with is: The ever-general they cry at every little inconvenience, it's no wonder people grief--it's easy as pie to get a rise out of people around here over something as simple as playing "inefficiently."

The key words therein are: it's no wonder people grief

Understanding why people do the things they do in response to the environment they play in is not the same as threatening to hop the bandwagon, kiddo. My personal opinion is that /die babies are cowards. Your personal opinion is that /die babies are a-okay. I find you boring. You find me childish. We are at an impassé. Neato. Don't have an aneurysm.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#36 2019-04-17 20:44:23

Whatever

Léonard wrote:

People are tired of Jason focusing on the way people play his game rather than adding new content like he promised.
Keep adding new content like was promised to add depth to the game rather than trying to change the way people behave which happened only because they're trying to make up for the absolute lack thereof.

I really would like to see more depth in the game.
There are countless things (in no particlar order):
- more items stackable
- clothes out of bear rougs
- rougs out of wool
- combine 2 old clothes to create a new one
- more storage containers (for example barrels to store wheat)
- machines (of all sorts, for farming or whatever)
- improved heating systems for houses
- ovens/furnaces should give heat (and should also be able to heat a house)
- computers
- killer robots (like in trailer)
- often times i cannot empty a bowl that i want to empty
- factories
- plants that can be cultivated so they produce more (for example milkweed could regrow or give string after many years of cultivation)
- changeable biomes (depending on how you treat the biome it changes, you cut all trees it becomes a desert for example)
- better pvp / pve system (for example you shoot an arrow and it actually flies trough the air and hits whats in its path)
- armor / swords / guns
- maps
- books / easier communication
and much more that i cant think of right now

#37 2019-04-18 04:02:51

Léonard

honikker wrote:

The line you seem to be having apparently major issues with is: The ever-general they cry at every little inconvenience, it's no wonder people grief--it's easy as pie to get a rise out of people around here over something as simple as playing "inefficiently."

The key words therein are: it's no wonder people grief

Understanding why people do the things they do in response to the environment they play in is not the same as threatening to hop the bandwagon, kiddo. My personal opinion is that /die babies are cowards. Your personal opinion is that /die babies are a-okay. I find you boring. You find me childish. We are at an impassé. Neato. Don't have an aneurysm.

Nice appeal to emotion there. Do you mind trying harder?

I perfectly understood what your line meant thank you.

See, you're doing it right now. Trying to be as disruptive as possible to get a reaction out of the adults talking.

It doesn't matter whether or not you actually threatened to grief, you're still trying to argue in favor of behaving like a child in response to adults having a reasonable conversation.
It simply is wrong and for the simple reason that you're literally adding nothing of worth to the discussion.
You're basically adding fuel to the fire.

Dang. I basically wrote the definition of an internet troll right there.
Well you definitely got me on this one I guess, troll.

#38 2019-04-18 06:50:50

JonySky
Website

Good morning Leonard!

First of all I must apologize for 2 things:
The first, because of my English writing ... I'm not a native speaker, and it's hard for me to express myself correctly (thanks, google translate!)
The second, because I do not know if with my bad English writing I have bothered someone

I would like to explain my previous post better
I am sure that if I explain what was written previously, you will not see it as horrible as you think ...

NO ONE has to force another person to live in their city or camp ... I've said that a thousand times
BUT ... baby suicides runners or using the / die command is currently a problem, like it or not.

Because I think it's a serious problem?
Because it is NOT being used correctly ... right now this system is used to "TRAVEL" to another city
It is a free teleportation, without penalty for those who use it ...
use this system / die (or the suicides of baby runners) to get travel to the desired city, destroy other settlements and new camps quickly and effectively

In addition, this system can not be countered in any way
there is nothing that can prevent this type of behavior in players ...

if all your children decide to commit suicide ... say goodbye to your beautiful camp early because he will die alone, surrounded by a bunch of flowering bushes ... irremediably
because this is not a griefing? Can you explain it to me?

Of course if you are a player that ONLY plays in big cities, that situation will not be so exaggerated
but do not realize that your city is dying does not mean it is not happening
If you want to check this, just look at any tree on the server and you will see what happens a lot ... like it or not ...

Child suicide is more harmful than a single griefer or a murderer ...
Child suicide, as I say, CAN NOT BE CONTRASTED in any way

The murderer or griefer, you can counteract with ease

Currently there are many child suicides
I a few days ago counted more than 3000 in a single game session

you comment that, with new content this will not happen ...
I doubt it.

anyway, then I'll do a test ...
I will compare the infant suicides of a session of this week with the infantile suicides of the day of the update of the clothes.

then I upload the results

I repeat ... I DO NOT WANT TO OBLATE ANYONE TO LIVE WITH ME, but I do not like the current situation ...
this system, destroys the game of other people (like a murderer) and destroys the essence of a family survival game
I like the idea of pregnancy (futurebird link the reddit proposal)
but in summary what I'm trying to say is that it has to be solved in some way

I do not come here to play the factorio, or simcity or minecraft, I come here to play "one hour one life" a family survival game

another thing that I would like to tell you about is "the evil robots" and the efficiency
I have nothing against working in a city, trying to be as efficient as possible
but when this "efficiency" means that if another player is not doing his job well, he is considered a troll and he is cursed or killed ... this is not good
I honestly do not care about their perfect efficiency if we are not able to let new players learn for themselves or teach them

what does it serve so much efficiency ...? What is the use of having 600 cakes or 6 horses with cars? What is the use of having 5 perfect sheep pens?

if at the end of everything ... your city will die for suicidal babies ...

or worse yet ...
how we murdered and cursed the player who had just arrived at OHOL (because he was learning and we thought he was a troll) ...
he is now in Donkey Town or worse yet ... he no longer plays OHOL

I do not like that my work is taken away from me because I'm not "efficient", and if I'm not able to create tools in 10 minutes I do not want anyone to kill me or damn me
I'm not in my real job ... this is a game!

Last edited by JonySky (2019-04-18 09:04:51)

#39 2019-04-18 13:11:27

futurebird

Jony what do you think about this pregnancy preview idea? Would it help stop /die? I agree it's a big problem and makes the game less fun.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#40 2019-04-18 14:09:36

JonySky
Website

futurebird wrote:

Jony what do you think about this pregnancy preview idea? Would it help stop /die? I agree it's a big problem and makes the game less fun.

hello !, check the idea yesterday and I liked it!

I do not know if it will be able to solve the current problem of child suicides, but it's a good idea!

You have my favorable vote on reddit

ty futurebird!

Board footer