One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-21 05:04:22

Impression

This Will Stop Griefers (The Evolution of Trust)

In the real world even soldiers with explicit orders to kill each other can find peace and celebrate Christmas together, as shown here: The Evolution of Trust (Please check it out! It's certainly worth your time) So why shouldn't we be able to live in peace with some bows and knifes?
As said in the link, three things are needed so that cooperation evolves to become the norm:

1. Repeated interactions (with the same people)
2. Win-win situations
3. Good communication

Number 2 is already pretty much satisfied, but communication is still lacking and the random/anonymous nature of the game makes it hard to even know if you're interacting with the same people or not. If we could improve upon those points, bad behavior would drop drastically.
I don't know how we could do this, thought. Any ideas?

#2 2018-03-21 05:49:21

sammoh

Re: This Will Stop Griefers (The Evolution of Trust)

I just banned violence outright because it was easier than trusting other people.

Two Hours, One Life - a curated OHOL server with heavy modifications.

Discord:     https://discord.gg/atEgxm7
Address:          https://github.com/frankvalentine/clients

#3 2018-03-21 06:09:27

Joriom
Website

Impression wrote:

2. Win-win situations

Number 2 is already pretty much satisfied [...]

Except its not. IRL win-win is when both parties achieve their goals but stay alive. In-game trolls and griefers don't care about staying alive because they'll just respawn soon after dying or will just leave for for few hours/untill next day after killing spree. Also - their main goal goes against yours. They want to make you stuffer by stealing/killing/destroying what you made.

#4 2018-03-21 17:39:14

Matok

For there to be the possibility of cooperation, there must first be common goals.

Sorry but, griefers don't have common goals with other players.

#5 2018-03-27 22:57:47

Eannatum

Well... there was an attempt. But WE DONT NEGOTIATE WITH TERRORISTS seems to be the consensus.

I tell my children, "suck ma mammal juice". Then they do and I get cornūy

#6 2018-03-28 05:57:46

lesslucid

Impression wrote:

In the real world even soldiers with explicit orders to kill each other can find peace and celebrate Christmas together, as shown here: The Evolution of Trust (Please check it out! It's certainly worth your time) So why shouldn't we be able to live in peace with some bows and knifes?
As said in the link, three things are needed so that cooperation evolves to become the norm:

1. Repeated interactions (with the same people)
2. Win-win situations
3. Good communication

Number 2 is already pretty much satisfied, but communication is still lacking and the random/anonymous nature of the game makes it hard to even know if you're interacting with the same people or not. If we could improve upon those points, bad behavior would drop drastically.
I don't know how we could do this, thought. Any ideas?

I think partly griefing at the moment is being driven by the low ceiling on the tech tree. It's pretty common now to come across or be born into a village that has "everything" lying around. What is there to do at that point? Make some more food, get it back to working order, make some surplus clothes to replace the inevitable losses? Sure, doing those things can be fun, and I enjoy them, but there's an obvious other answer: 

Bows and arrows are just lying around everywhere. Conflict is always immediately stimulating. So... why not go on a killing spree? 

That's not how I operate, but I can see why other people would lean in that direction. 

If you imagine a tech tree with another hundred items on it and which required a number of ingredients or processes that you've never seen before, and co-operation was really essential to making some of those more interesting items, you'd create stronger incentives for players to work together. "Have you ever made a suit of chainmail?" "No, me either, want to give it a try?" 

I think this will happen naturally anyway as Jason adds more stuff to the game. I know he's been a bit occupied with technical background stuff and with GDC, but I'm confident that as the complexity of the gameworld expands, the complexity of potential player behaviour will grow beyond the "farm or kill" choices which seem to be dominating at the moment.

#7 2018-03-28 06:43:59

Goliath

It's hard to communicate in this game.
I literally refuse to watch babies type five letters to pronounce a word.

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#8 2018-03-28 15:25:16

llap

if a player wants to kill all others than there is no way to stop it right now! The only way is to change the possibiltiy to kill with one klick ... perhaps that you will be wounded at first ... there are some suggestions here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggestions/

llap Olli

llap Olli

#9 2018-03-28 17:46:36

aPlanetaryCitizen

lesslucid wrote:

If you imagine a tech tree with another hundred items on it and which required a number of ingredients or processes that you've never seen before, and co-operation was really essential to making some of those more interesting items, you'd create stronger incentives for players to work together. "Have you ever made a suit of chainmail?" "No, me either, want to give it a try?" 

I think this will happen naturally anyway as Jason adds more stuff to the game. I know he's been a bit occupied with technical background stuff and with GDC, but I'm confident that as the complexity of the gameworld expands, the complexity of potential player behaviour will grow beyond the "farm or kill" choices which seem to be dominating at the moment.

Totally agree. What we need most is UPDATES. And clever ones. I know it's a one developer game, but that's just how it is, if he doesn't want his creation to die. it's like a child who cannot eat or defend himself. It has to be fed

Board footer