One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-05 12:30:33

futurebird

How do you measure your "success" in OHOL?

There isn't any score and shouldn't be one of course, but how do you measure how well you did. For me it's about if my kids were able to make it to old age or not and how long the line lasted. I think other people use other ideas to mark success. Is it about building? About meeting new people? About killing bears? Do you have a metric and what is it?

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#2 2019-04-05 12:57:18

Amon

Re: How do you measure your "success" in OHOL?

I'd say any sucessful life if where I had friendly communication within a village and a dotting realtionship with at least some of my children.

Another one is gaining friendship while achiving a milestone or helping another person achive a milestone and gaining their friendship.
Hoenstly getting the perfect good reactions from people takes more time than making the same thing over and over again big_smile

Last edited by Amon (2019-04-05 12:57:52)

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#3 2019-04-05 12:59:11

Spoonwood

I generally don't measure my success.  Each life varies too much for that.  I don't know how I would calculate how well I did farming vs. how well I did when smithing.  I do notice inefficiencies or mistakes, but comparing different tasks feels like comparing apples and oranges.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-04-05 13:05:22

DestinyCall

By whether or not I managed to finish making a wooden path all the way through the middle of the over-sized berry patch before I die.

#5 2019-04-05 13:06:44

Thaulos

If I feel fulfilled at the end, I "succeeded". Often it's more about connection with others or by defending town against bears or griefers than any particular building.

#6 2019-04-05 20:33:43

ryanb
Website

While playing the game I measure success with how much I helped my family. After dying I measure success by how memorable and story-worthy it was.

Strange that these two are not the same and is likely the case in real life too. On your death bed you probably have a different measure of success of life than during the middle of it.

One Hour One Life Crafting Reference
https://onetech.info/

#7 2019-04-06 01:56:52

Deleted User

By looking at how towns develop. This begins with the selection of your location that really needs to provide everything you need for a successful future, and even in megacities you have a collective duty because you are a small part of a bigger clockwork that needs to work.

#8 2019-04-06 07:42:40

breezeknight

the nice people make the success of a run
that's the measure

i suicide often because the people present are screwups
i don't waste my time with people who don't appreciate playing a social game but exploit it for their own "amusement"
some kill the screwups, i kill myself

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-06 07:44:04)

#9 2019-04-06 19:44:58

Psykout

There are a few ways that I do this.

Did I accomplish the goals I set out to? I usually look over a camp between birth and three and pick out projects that I want to achieve by certain points. How many of those I was able to do, and do well, over the life is one measure.

Was there a specific personal connection such as teaching an intricate task? Giving someone the knowledge and practice to be confident in a task is very rewarding for me, as I don't seek them out, so they are rarer and special.

Did my children and their childrens' children succeed, and were my actions part of that? You can never know for sure, but lately I have been having loads of great grandchildren and also lot of my kids have been living to 55+.  How many generations that exist after me is a statistic I am fond of aswell as looking through the few generations after me and seeing lot of old age deaths. I usually play in newer camps and eve camps, usually am gen 1 or two, haven't Eve'd in a bit.

It's a combination of all of those that make a life standout to me. A life that I ended up not doing any of the goals I initially set, a life that all the girls died out, but also gave me opportunity to spend thirty minutes with a new player and teach them smithing from the ground up, is a really good and successful life. A life that all the kids knew what they were doing, I got to build a really cool Pen+Bakery, and there was dozens of old geezers after my time, that is also a successful life.

Board footer