One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-04-02 05:58:52

Psykout

All about that Base

This topic stems off of Jason's topic, but wanted to make a new, to keep focus on Jason's topic in that thread, but to open up discussion about the state of the game currently.

Jasonrohrer wrote:

Where's the heated town meeting where we decide to load up the covered wagons and strike out for greener pastures?

Tarr wrote:

-The only permanence in this game is the towns we have and those only last so long before being completely lost. Why would you ever care about a family if you both know the surname is likely to be lost in a few hours after you play and a few hours after that the lineage is likely to just be dead. We can't even get a lineage to last longer than two days without it being wiped out to griefers/rng/sids so it's hard to really care about a family unlike a town which you might come back around to visit within the week before it gets culled. We have no reason to work against other players in this game and in fact doing so just hinders both parties so why fight besides for roleplay or fun?

This is a real statement, but doesn't have to be. Lineages die because we attach them to a single town, and don't see the value in attempting different ways to keep the family going. Your best bet currently is to fiendishly set the town up to attempt to handle nocturnal fertility and potential griefing. As players, we care more too see a town succeed, whether it is because we want to end up back there later, or just like the idea that our efforts lasted, usually the former.

I question this concept frequently. I have tried to open discussions about pioneering, setting knowledgeable kids out into the wilderness with resources to start new camps, because it can be quite strong. But it's overshadowed by town mentality. Straight up, if you are in a later stage town, if you were to send out children that are skilled eves with clothes, backpack, and starter tools (Axe,Shovel,Chisel,Adze) they have a really high potential to make a camp that should last many generations, if executed right. If you leave a camp at three to five years old with this setup, you have a lot of time to find a spot, and start setting it up really well, before you can even have your first child. The trouble is, is that it holds little value in a meta sense, but why?

I think the lineage statistic tracking needs an overhaul. It needs to be easier to see whats happening to a lineage generation by generation. Expand the graphics, show full trees that split off and dead end. Summarize deaths/sids/old age deaths better. When I view a lineage, I want to be able to see how many in that line made it to 55+, how many died of sids/animals/yellow fever. I don't want to dredge through the current system to manually track that, I don't want to have to click through all the females to see which of their kids had kids that had kids. When I look up my life, I want to easily see that all my kids died young, but my sisters kids had grandchildren that lived to sixty, and their grandchildren also lived to sixty, and question what they did differently than I did. I don't want to play investigator to see which child was the linchpin that got the lineage to gen 40, that should be easily noticed by seeing a full expanded tree. How many players even track lineages anyways? Perhaps if it was easily attainable, easy to digest, perhaps it would become more important and become a new focus. In my opinion, seeing the eve of a lineage, and the most current generation, is the most basic information possible. The rest is there, just sorted into a hoarders storage tote in the basement, not a pretty painting on the living room wall.

gtIcCNA.jpg
Seeing that, all the way through every step of the way, would be awesome. Add a sidebar in that shows: X players lived to 55+ Y Players were murdered, Z died before fertility etc is my dream. Maybe we'd care to start new camps, I want to refrain from the terminology of outposts, I mean fully self sustainable new camps that are not meant to be linked. This is even more powerful with the new approach to lineages with area ban. If a family was succeeding and branching out with new towns every few generations or so, you technically could live 3+ lives all in the same family before ending up in a new one. This is how you have lineages that last day after day, and have potential to be the new top lineage, dethroning the outside-the-game coordinated lineages like the boots line that dominates the entire All-Time Long Lines (side note, there should be ONE single entry for that entire line. Every kid that lived in that line should not be on that list, Nameless - Died at 0 years old of starvation should NOT be the top of that list.)

#2 2019-04-02 06:30:24

futurebird

Re: All about that Base

I tried starting a new town once as a young girl. The town was huge that I was in so I packed a cart and found a good spot. Every kid I had just wanted to go back. They we really vocal about not liking that I wanted to start a new camp. If I try it again I will just say that I'm lost.

I recently played a game where my first two kids suicided when they saw my eve "camp" I was 22 and all I'd done is found a spot with soil and water and laid out some clay. I had a suspicion what it was... I spent the next 7 min. frantically gathering carrots from the desert. I had about 13 wild carrots next to the clay when my next child was born. She stayed so did the rest. Players want to see some food when they start out. An empty area is scary since you could work hard and just die starving.

I think that fear of starving is what keeps people in towns. It's why when I wander out of town I find so much stuff just sitting there that no one has touched for generations. Newer players especially. When I was a bit newer I was alway happy to spawn in a big town since there would be food and I could play longer.

Anyway getting people to leave is tough.

One idea would be if there were some kind of "map" that would lead you to a nearby ruin. It might be more appealing to leave if there is a destination.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#3 2019-04-02 08:05:02

DestinyCall

I think part of the problem is that we need more ways to connect towns together.   Either better roads, craftable maps, multiple home markers, or some other way to allow people to travel between distant settlements.   

I'd love to see "cartographer" become a legitimate profession.   An explorer who spends the majority of his or her adult life wandering and mapping the wild lands around his growing village, finding neighboring towns and connecting them together.  Not only would this allow the possibility of trade and other interactions between neighboring towns in future generations, it would alleviate some of the danger of towns being "lost" due to low population or griefing.     It would be harder to lose the town completely, once it got on the maps of neighboring villages. 

From a game-play standpoint, I'm not sure the best way to implement maps in OHOL.   If you want to make them as "real" as possible, maps should be made out of paper and laboriously transcribed by hand, one by one.   However ... that would be a rather cumbersome system.     Even so, I think it could work - especially if it included a way to easily combine maps together to add more discovered locations and a way to copy the maps, so they can be distributed around the village.     I'm imagining a system where you craft a map that shows all the parts of the map that you have personally "seen" during your life up to that point.  Places that you have not been would be blank.   Interacting with the map would let you view the image and scroll around it.   Combining your map with a different map would fill in any blanks on the two maps, giving an even better map.  So over several generations, your village would eventually get really good maps of the surrounding land and any nearby villages.

If villages had maps, they could be copied and passed on to future generations, so when you were born into a new village, you could check the maps to find out the location of nearby biomes and important landmarks or resources.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-04-02 08:07:21)

#4 2019-04-02 09:45:34

breezeknight

i say it again

craftable map & craftable zoom

players using awbz are in advantage over vanilla players like me
it skews the gameplay, it's a multiplayer & if a part of those use it & the other part doesn't, it shifts the advantageous gameplay towards the mod's users, away from vanilla players
this is troubling
awbz users don't even know anymore how hard it is to find anything anywhere, rocks, iron, iron mine, seals, stones even or to avoid wolves, snakes & boars
they mock me even of being not efficient enough, because they see the bigger map while i struggle

i am atm only fixing those messes of towns
i'm done farming, making pies & compost
i am still waiting till those wretched sheep pens get some easy to make update, like that wattle fence i am asking about ad nauseam
until then i won't be participating in that sharade of building them with oven bases & tower bases & what not
& don't let me even start with milkweed & rope hmm

also oc - a baby sling
to be female in OHOL is hard & boring enough
i would gladly move to found a new base or live a nomad life
but without some new tools it's not that enticing
it's hard, dangerous & after the first beginning euphoria the usual stuff sets in

towns are brimming with griefers again, out of boredom
& after that last food update the mess became a feast again
single tomatos next to broken malets, some remains of a field, bowls with some seeds, single plates, broken hoes, scattered rabbits skinned & fured, pork still not stackable, bowls & plates with all parts of salsa, fries & chips, the list of scattered stuff goes on
as i already said before we've got that one single improvement of stackable carrots
a messy town with clutter everywhere is THE invitation to grief
it looks like something to throw away & so people do
griefing in an organized town with a flow of goods calls for cooperation, griefing becomes harder
the mess is making griefing easy

so
i am now only trying to fix those messes of towns
other than that, i don't like to cook IRL, so, cooking in OHOL doesn't really do it for me
i hope the next update doesn't include more food hmm

- - -

Last edited by breezeknight (2019-04-02 09:51:06)

#5 2019-04-02 11:07:22

pein

breeze , i played 400+ hours vanilla and made pens bigger then the screen, found iron veins and other settlements

awbz mod is just more convenient, now i became bit soft, i wouldn't really play without the female counter and the 1.5 zoom
but the number of hours still matters more than zoom
yeah, i would make myself glasses each game  to have zoom, but then again, it's UI, even my sister liked the game better when it was better zoom, and she no expert on games

if jason wants more buildings, he needs to give us zoom and better materials, better communication
new players just make connected garbage piles and any attempt to free tiles is ruined

the outposts need to be made when the population is high or before, it's no reason to make outpost when you got 5-6 people
but even a pen with a berry farm other side of biome is savinga lot of people during baby booms

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#6 2019-04-02 11:37:30

omlinson

This is one of my favorite lives. http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=3954211

I ran away from my town and set up a small camp with all the tools to make a fire and get clothing.

While in the savannah, I had a daughter. I asked if she was new and she said no. I asked if she minded if I left her in the savanah with the fire tools so she could make her own clothing as I continued to find a spot as she would only slow me down.

Not sure what happened to her, but it is her line of children who maintained the line for 55 generations. The other fertile woman in my generation only managed to get her children to survive for 11 generations.

#7 2019-04-02 12:12:42

pein

once my mom step on a snake and i grow hair right after that stiing on top of snake on cooldown

i made a new eve run, and found a good spot near it, well, water was a bit further from desert so i made a cistern on eve run, we lasted like 7 gen but one  daughter ran away and made a city which lasted 50 gen

days after i made it back and realized we had like 9 iron veins under us, so definitely viable with the right people
it's not really affecting what you did, sure , you can reach milestones fast but is up to others how long it lasts

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#8 2019-04-02 12:58:01

breezeknight

pein, that's what i'm saying
using zoom you are in advantage, that's why you use it
you can call it "soft" & "convenient", the bottom line is, if it wouldn't benefit you, then you wouldn't use it
if i remain vanilla, then i know that i am at a disadvantage, my OHOL life is less "soft" & less "convenient"

also, for me, in vanilla, finding an iron vein is a big event, for a zoom out player it's only a shrug of "so what, i knew that already" hmm

the things with the fertile female in lineage is for me personally of no interest, so not really missing on that
i don't suicide because i am the last remaining male or too old female to have kids, many players i play in such scenarios do
i don't play like that, i play for the greater good, i do things not because the lineage is still going, but because things need better function & everywhere things are improvable

Board footer