One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-03-21 15:01:18

Tea

Family Tradition

I have had many traditions in this game. Hunting with my son as many bears as possible, offering anything I can find to the fertility god to grand our family line many babies and passing down the family red wool hat to my firstborn daughter. But my favorite tradition is by far planting a tree to celebrate my child's birth.

When there is almost everything in a town and people are starting to either expand or build stuff, I like to be either a cleaning lady or the local gardener. When playing as the gardener, I prepare some soil rows, plant some skewers and make some paper for later on. Once my child is born, I'll tell her/him that it is tradition that we plant every time a tree when we have a kid, to celebrate its birth to the town. They can choose what kind of tree they want to have and I will plant and water it for them.

That tree will be her/his very own tree and she/he may rest her/his bones under it, to be buried later on by her/his children when she/he wishes. Once they die under this tree, their soul will stay in the town and protect it. I sometimes even plant one for my mother and myself and bury her under her tree with a marked grave and a little note.

I call it The Garden and always hope that one day, there will be many trees with marked graves under it, with a little note to remember a loved one. Just like the huge Tree Garden someone planted in a big city, with a wooden/stone patch and gates surrounding it.

I know that this tradition will never last longer than one generation but I like to imagine that it will make the person playing as my child feel special or happy and part of something that not everyone has.

Anyone else has a little tradition that they like to do while playing ?

The one and only Eve Kelderman

#2 2019-03-21 19:07:18

YannaChan
Banned

Re: Family Tradition

I had a tradition I told my granddaughter to do, It was to club seals and skin them, Because when I first was that Eve I clubbed a seal and took the skin for myself, I later had a child and clubbed a seal for them and did the same thing, I hope they did continue the tradition.

#3 2019-03-21 19:50:14

futurebird

I just happened to be planting some juniper trees in a large village that had cut all of it's juniper when my daughter was born. I got all dramatic

"you are Juniper. The juniper isn't as big as other trees but without it there is no fire and if there is no fire, no civilization. Water this tree when you are old. Grow strong together, bend but do not break. Keep the fire alive, keep civilization alive, little Juniper"

I think I'll keep doing this tree thing it's fun.

Last edited by futurebird (2019-03-21 19:51:09)

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#4 2019-03-21 19:53:37

Uncle Tensticks

I ask my babies to pick a letter for their first name. It gives them a little choice in what people will call them throughout their life.

#5 2019-03-21 20:01:09

futurebird

Now, Juniper's brother was another story. I sort of... bought some drugs and took them while nursing. He died young to murder and it turned out he was racist. (yes, racist! look: http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … d=3855253) Not a coincidence. I think the drugs messed up his fragile young mind.
5CUVxJp.jpg

To be fair he did see me committing suicide by starvation on the edge of town, just standing in an empty spot in a field of bones, so maybe that's what did it.

---
omnem cibum costis
tantum baca, non facies opus

#6 2019-03-22 10:09:59

pein

once i born in a tiny green biome, mother trying to make bowls but not even enough straight shafts for making a fire and tongs.
i thought i make a backpack and decide later as she knows the place better, but she died and i moved out to other place

it was a two tiny deserts connected, back before temp update, when i raised my first daughter  a horse run to her tile several times, told her not to drink horse milk

actually my mom born back to me and was happy that i found a better place, but she died somehow quite early again (still had wild food near her bones)

anyway was quite funny when my daughter said to my grandkid not to drink horsemilk

i joke a lot when something is weird , and is cool that generations later they repeat it

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#7 2019-03-22 19:49:33

WalrusesConquer

I used to do this when berry bushes took an hour to grow..as they die the bush lives on! One tradition I had was to say "I see horseradishes" before dying (my grandma didn't want to tell me that she was going to die) but unfortunately only my daughter succeeded in that

Edit: another thing that was kinda a tradition, I was named Lilly after my mom. My adopted daughter then named her daughter Lilly as well! I just thought it was cool for to have a name chain between generations

Last edited by WalrusesConquer (2019-03-22 19:57:38)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#8 2019-03-23 08:05:38

YannaChan
Banned

I made another tradition today! It was to have a not hungry piglet in your apron or backpack, I, as the eldest who followed the tradition, chose the piglet that the child got to have.

#9 2019-03-23 15:31:39

DestinyCall

You realize those piglets grow up to be deadly animals, right?

I guess that's one way to help with population control ....

#10 2019-03-23 21:38:52

WalrusesConquer

Ooh my mom started a hmph tradition! We used /hmph to show love and named all our sons sehun

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

Board footer